PDA

View Full Version : Chinese food

12-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Misleading title...as I of course know that not all "asian food" is chinese food, appearently all the chinese places around here are vietnemese. Anyways....I rarely eat this type of food, and think Im going to go get some for lunch. Could you guys please list your favs, what type (viet, thai, chinese etc), and whats in it, so I can make an educated non-last minute decision? I really like shrimp fried rice, and the battered shrimp, so something along those lines would be great. I really wish I was more knowledgeable about this stuff, but growing up in hicksville (st. louis) makes it tough to find good stuff.

jakethebake
12-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Which Chinese places are you considering going to in StL?

12-12-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which Chinese places are you considering going to in StL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure, I went to the King and I over the weekend, got hammered, and loved it, so I have a craving for more. I would like to try somewhere new though. Theres a lot of places around me. I live right near Ted Drewes on Chippewa.

jba
12-12-2005, 12:58 PM
vietnamese places you can't go wrong with pho which is a beef noodle soup, I'm not a soup fan in general but this stuff is awesome, it is usually the staple.

i'm also a big fan of vermicilli dishes, usually with beef or pork and yummy vegetables/sprouts and maybe a spring roll if you're feeling fiesty. dump that fish sauce on there that [censored] is the bizzle.

jakethebake
12-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Try Manee Thai in Ballwin. The curry dishes are very good. I always liked the red curry best there.

imitation
12-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Viet get the river vermicilli salads. Chinese cuisine is usually all Cantonese stuff, bleh, why don't you just walk in and ask them what's good, there's hundreds of dishes, just try something random.

Fish head hot pot is awesome, but you are from hicksville so i'll presume fish heads are too exotic. Infact all the good stuff I'm guessing you are scared from, pork intestines, chicken feet, chicken intestine, chicken hearts, pork ears, tongues. These are all great southern china dishes which taste [censored] great if you are open minded. Most offle dishes are good actually.

man
12-12-2005, 01:02 PM
I recommend the cream of sumyungai.

I have always wanted to order something other than the pupu platter (sp?) at a chinese restaurant. I'd like to see what kind of recommendations you guys have here.

12-12-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Viet get the river vermicilli salads. Chinese cuisine is usually all Cantonese stuff, bleh, why don't you just walk in and ask them what's good, there's hundreds of dishes, just try something random.

Fish head hot pot is awesome, but you are from hicksville so i'll presume fish heads are too exotic. Infact all the good stuff I'm guessing you are scared from, pork intestines, chicken feet, chicken intestine, chicken hearts, pork ears, tongues. These are all great southern china dishes which taste [censored] great if you are open minded. Most offle dishes are good actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not scared of eating it, I just wont be able to find it. Hell, my dad used to put pigs feet, in his pasta sauce for flavor.

12-12-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recommend the cream of sumyungai.

I have always wanted to order something other than the pupu platter (sp?) at a chinese restaurant. I'd like to see what kind of recommendations you guys have here.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the place I went to over the weekend, they had a pupu platter and a bobo platter....fun times there.

What is a spring roll? Is that the roll that is rolled in a clear rice paper? I had one of those, they were awesome.

DrNo888
12-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Spring roll: Rice paper, shrimp, pork belly, lettuce, mint, bean sprout. Usually dipped in peanut & hoisin sauce. Or prepared fish sauce

http://www.pho2000.com/Summer_Roll.jpg

Egg roll: Deep fried. Stuff with ground pork, vermicelly, woods ear, and some flavoring. Usually dipped in prepared fish sauce.

http://www.pho2000.com/Egg_Roll.jpg

Cant go wrong with a bowl of Pho:

http://www.pho2000.com/House_Special.jpg

Edit: I'll try to find pictures of vermicelli and grilled pork stuff when I get back from eye exam.

12-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Chinese - kung pao chicken, mu shu pork, mongolian beef, moo goo gai pan

Thai - pad thai, curry chicken, thai iced tea

Vietnamese - lemongrass chicken, pho

Korean - bulgogi, Galbi-gui

But I like sushi above all else

ScottieK

Allinlife
12-12-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
sashimi all the wayy

12-12-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
sashimi all the wayy

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG Ahi tuna, yellowtail, salmon, unagi, dragon rolls, soft shell crab...manna from heaven. If I were rich, I'd have a personal sushi chef. I would eat that stuff every day. Damn I'm hungry for sushi.

ScottieK

splashpot
12-12-2005, 06:19 PM
If you want good Chinese food, you'd probably have to go to a city with a Chinatown. Most Chinese restaurants are aim at the average American and can't even compare to the food you would get in Chinatown. Really, I wouldn't even consider it the same type of food.

swede123
12-12-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want good Chinese food, you'd probably have to go to a city with a Chinatown. Most Chinese restaurants are aim at the average American and can't even compare to the food you would get in Chinatown. Really, I wouldn't even consider it the same type of food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. This goes for any type of ethnic food, really.

Swede

12-12-2005, 06:32 PM
St. Louis is NOT hicksville.

MonkeeMan
12-12-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
St. Louis is NOT hicksville.

[/ QUOTE ]

but you can see it from there. (sorry, couldn't resist)

astroglide
12-12-2005, 07:01 PM
sweet and spicy chicken from stir crazy, extra spicy, add cashews (cashews are imperative). stir crazy is right at olive and lindbergh. it's a chain, but this particular dish is excellent (and better than anything i've had at pf chang's).

chicken red curry from royal thai cafe. it's in a strip mall a little bit west of lindbergh. that's my favorite asian food item of all time. tofu is ok if you prefer it, don't get beef or anything else though. in this case the chicken is better.

favorite sushi is at mr. sushi. you guessed it, on olive (strip mall close to 170). i've eaten at tons of places in st louis, it just happens that there's a large asian community around olive and my favorite places are all there.

bdmcgraw
12-12-2005, 08:30 PM
there's a decent place on brentwood across from the galleria, i forget the name though (I think its Yen Ching)

the sushi place mentioned on olive is also very good.

12-12-2005, 08:55 PM
spring rolls = fried summer rolls = not

bugstud
12-12-2005, 09:06 PM
if they have a thai basil spicy chicken at those thai places, try it. it rocks. My fav is onion/peppers/basil, roughly translated as pad grau pa.

Blarg
12-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Battered shrimp? Call social services.

Sounds like you're talking about tempura, the Japanese dish. This is very good for people not used to Asian food, as it's very mildly flavored and just uses the food they're used to.

Not sure why you guys are talking about vermicelli in chinese food. Vermicelli in egg rolls?

GOT I think it was recommended Pad See Ew for thai food. I tried it and got hooked right away. Good stuff.

I'd suggest trying some of the Asian vegetable dishes, too. A good place makes them nice and crunchy and fresh and with good sauces.

12-12-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there's a decent place on brentwood across from the galleria, i forget the name though (I think its Yen Ching)

the sushi place mentioned on olive is also very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its gone, I went christmas shopping today, and then was going to eat there because I remember passing it a million times. It wasnt there today. There was a PF Changs though, I didnt stop in, had a meeting i had to make.

Zeno
12-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Thousand-year-old egg, Pig tongue, Sheep kidney.

Taipei.

-Zeno

Iplayragstoo
12-12-2005, 09:32 PM
BBQ Pork Kow Fun chow /images/graemlins/smirk.gif