PDA

View Full Version : raising wars on the river

12-12-2005, 12:40 PM
i've gone back to full table limit games recently (2/4 thru 5/10). had gone to no-limit and SNG/tournaments.

anyhow, really noticing again how much the raising wars on the river have an effect on my win rate.

i think right now i'm 3 wins and 1 loss on the raising wars, and frankly i cut off 2 of the 3 winning raising wars instead of my opponent.

do other people have the same phenomenon of raising wars making up a large % of profits?

i've seen people say don't engage in raising wars unless you have the nuts, but i think that leaves far too much money on the table.

my one losing raising war was really stupid as really had little chance to take the pot single-handed (i.e. i had middle card in straight and pretty obvious my opponent should have too) i.e what's the point of a raising war when at best you'll probably split 50%/50%... i guess i should avoid this situation myself and take advantage of others (usually they haven't thought it thru).

one thing i will say is at the lower levels they can turn over pretty much anything on the showdown. but still i think i should be fairly careful.

one thing i think you have to look at is that straights don't have much uniqueness to them whereas most other hands do.

any thoughts/comments? and i played 10,000's of limit hands before, this is all just coming back to me now.

TheHip41
12-12-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've gone back to full table limit games recently (2/4 thru 5/10). had gone to no-limit and SNG/tournaments.

anyhow, really noticing again how much the raising wars on the river have an effect on my win rate.

i think right now i'm 3 wins and 1 loss on the raising wars, and frankly i cut off 2 of the 3 winning raising wars instead of my opponent.

do other people have the same phenomenon of raising wars making up a large % of profits?

i've seen people say don't engage in raising wars unless you have the nuts, but i think that leaves far too much money on the table.

my one losing raising war was really stupid as really had little chance to take the pot single-handed (i.e. i had middle card in straight and pretty obvious my opponent should have too) i.e what's the point of a raising war when at best you'll probably split 50%/50%... i guess i should avoid this situation myself and take advantage of others (usually they haven't thought it thru).

one thing i will say is at the lower levels they can turn over pretty much anything on the showdown. but still i think i should be fairly careful.

one thing i think you have to look at is that straights don't have much uniqueness to them whereas most other hands do.

any thoughts/comments? and i played 10,000's of limit hands before, this is all just coming back to me now.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf are you talking about?

I speak English, please try that next time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

toss
12-12-2005, 02:37 PM
I didn't really read what you posted, but The Theory of Poker nicely outlines exactly what you should do on the river HU. Multiway its a little harder.