PDA

View Full Version : Bush About To Blunder

HDPM
07-16-2003, 07:44 PM
Blurb on Drudge sez Bush is going to bring back Mary Matalin for spin control. As Drudge sez, "Developing...." But if this is true, WTF is Bush thinking. He's slipping in the polls, has all kinds of real problems w/ Iraq, etc... and he's talking about bringing back a certified loser to advise. Isn't Matalin one of the engineers of "Bush '92" one of the all time worst campaigns? Her political failings aside, she has had sex w/ James Carville...eeeeeeww. Nobody who would hit that, gay, straight, male, female, or otherwise has any judgment. You marry about what you deserve. Bush is going to make the next election close it looks like.

andyfox
07-16-2003, 11:49 PM
"Bush is going to make the next election close it looks like."

Against who (or is it whom, I've never understood that one. Help, please, John Cole!)? The Dems have nobody who has one eighth of the charisma of Bush. Yes, I know what I just said, I mean it. Except for maybe Al Sharpton who ain't gonna be nominated.

Timer
07-17-2003, 12:37 AM
>>Against who (or is it whom, I've never understood that one. Help, please, John Cole!)<<

WHO and WHOM

Rule. Use the he/him method to decide which word is correct.

he = who
him = whom

Examples Who/Whom wrote the letter?
He wrote the letter. Therefore, who is correct.

For who/whom should I vote?
Should I vote for him? Therefore, whom is correct.

We all know who/whom pulled that prank.
This sentence contains two clauses: We all know and who/whom pulled that prank. We are interested in the second clause because it contains the who/whom. He pulled that prank. Therefore, who is correct.

andyfox
07-17-2003, 01:09 AM

adios
07-17-2003, 04:21 AM
He's getting a lot of press these days. Does he have the right message? Personally I think his message is hollow (he's short on particulars) but I think it will play well with the voting public. Even though I stated that the Republicans would win big in 2004 (I still think they carry both Senate and House), I'm seeing where Bush is vulnerable. First and foremost of all the economy is a VERY big problem for him. Ok everyone is stating a pick-up in the second half but I'm fairly certain that we're going to see moderate growth at best and not much in the way of job growth. Could definitely be wrong about that. Proceeding on slow economic growth is risky because it's much easier for an extraneous event such as 9/11 to drag economic growth into negative territory. I mean if the economy isn't doing all that well by the time the election rolls around, I think many voters will just say let's try somebody else. Second, Iraq is very problematic at this point although the US may be gone before the election rolls around. I think his administration is doing the right things there but I have my doubts as to how patient the American public is going to be. Third, I think Bush's domestic agenda doesn't get a very good grade. Even though I've pointed out that the Democrats are being deceitful about the budget deficit, personally I'm concerned about some of the spending in certain areas and proposals that are on the table. I think Howard Dean's hammering criticism of Bush's Iraq policy will garner voter support. Dean is also running as a fiscal conservative and even I have to admit that Bush can't claim to be one although I believe Bush's tax cuts and stimulas package are right on. I think Dean is promising a "chicken in every pot" and a fiscally conservative government at the same time but I don't see how he'll pull that off given what I've read about him.