PDA

View Full Version : Is Star Trek Racist?

12-12-2005, 05:33 AM
After watching Star Trek for a while, I have come to the conclusion that Star Trek is the most racist show that I have ever seen.

Just look at the facts.

The Humans= All White and they are usually the leaders. (the only two black humans and 1 is blind and the other one has a butt on his forehead.)

Klingons = blacks (loud in yer face very aggressive)

Vulcans = chinese/Japanese (emotionless and calculating)

Romulans = thai/philipenos (more agreesive than the vulcans)

Ferengi = Jews (money related race)

cardassian = Germans (Nazi Germans)

I CALL RACISISM!

send_the_msg
12-12-2005, 05:35 AM
and that one guy turned out to be gay.. gay people on a tv show!!! OMGOMG

istewart
12-12-2005, 05:35 AM
This is not racism, this is fact.

Especially this:

[ QUOTE ]
the only two black humans and one has a butt on his forehead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty
12-12-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not racism, this is fact.

Especially this:

[ QUOTE ]
the only two black humans and one has a butt on his forehead.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. http://www.hypertrek.org/personaggi/img/uhura.jpg

2. http://mario.lapam.mo.it/tng/gifs/geordi.jpg

3. http://www.therealms.net/images/guinan/guinan.jpg

4. http://netnet.net/~mcdorn/worf.jpg

5. http://www.durfee.net/startrek/images/Sisko.jpg

6. http://www.hypertrek.org/personaggi/img/jsisko.jpg

7. http://www.hypertrek.org/personaggi/img/tuvok.jpg

8. http://mujweb.cz/www/goauld/belanna.jpg

9. http://www.startrek.nl/pictures2/ent/mayweather01_1.jpg

tonypaladino
12-12-2005, 05:46 AM
Is this worth un-ignoring OP to read?

Crimson
12-12-2005, 05:49 AM
no.

send_the_msg
12-12-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was about to say yes, but i saw that japanese school girl post.

MyTurn2Raise
12-12-2005, 05:51 AM

Dynasty
12-12-2005, 05:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should double-check that thread. I've improved it.

send_the_msg
12-12-2005, 05:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should double-check that thread. I've improved it.

[/ QUOTE ]

my once horrified eyes have returned to blue alert, thanks.

tonypaladino
12-12-2005, 06:00 AM
OP Needs to be banned. check out his post in General Hold'Em

diebitter
12-12-2005, 06:30 AM
And where TF are the British?

And what race are the Borg?

Superfluous Man
12-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Yes, it is racist. But I only base that on the episode where Spock gets hammered and drops the n-bomb 30 or 40 times.

tubalkain
12-12-2005, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

British Empire = Dominion
Queen = Founders
Prince Jackasses = Vorta
British subjects = Jem'Hadar

Borg = US Republicans
Borg Queen = George Bush

diebitter
12-12-2005, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Borg Queen = George Bush

[/ QUOTE ]

I will NEVER lose the mental image of GWB as the Borg queen now! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

diebitter
12-12-2005, 06:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

British Empire = Dominion
Queen = Founders
Prince Jackasses = Vorta
British subjects = Jem'Hadar

[/ QUOTE ]

I never watched DS9, but I found this:

[ QUOTE ]
"The Jem'Hadar", this genetically engineered species has struck fear in the hearts of all who oppose them. Their menacing appearance and rigid bearing reveal their designation as warriors of the Dominion -- coded within their DNA are genes that manifest into an inborn propensity for violence. However, their devotion to the Founders and the Dominion cause is equally impressive

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right. Do these guys like a laugh and a nice cuppa tea too?

tubalkain
12-12-2005, 06:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Normally, I'd say ban him.

But this goes beyond simple retardery. We must protect the future of our game and our world by removing the threat of gene pool contamination. We do this by having a mod post Monty's IP and traceroute information so that we may find out where he lives and painfully reduce him to a bloody pile before he impregnates a random girl in his trailer park and unleashes demon spawn upon the world.
<font color="#F5F5ff">and by impregnates, i mean rapes</font>

ansky451
12-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Saying who each race represents without explaining why is retarded.

jedi
12-12-2005, 02:48 PM
While I think the OP is an idiot, I'll just say that if you watch the Special Features and Director's Commentary of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, you'll see how un-racist Star Trek was.

Edit: Star trek SIX was TUC, not FOUR.

istewart
12-12-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While I think the OP is an idiot, I'll just say that if you watch the Special Features and Director's Commentary of Star Trek IV: The Undiscovered Country, you'll see how much Patrick Stewart hates Arabs

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

krimson
12-12-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Germany circa 1940's.

MelchyBeau
12-12-2005, 03:28 PM
krimson wouldn't the borgs be almost opposite of Germany. The Nazi's wanted to puurify the world, not mix every race together.

Melch

12-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Why aren't there any mexicans on star trek?

<font color="white">Because they dont work in the future either </font>

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

diebitter
12-12-2005, 03:32 PM
In the original series, Kilngons looked just like Mexicans to me. Did they just get more street?

12-12-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

<font color="white">Because they dont work in the future either </font>

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I mean, that's messed up. Ever seen a tricked-out shuttlecraft or galaxy-class starship? Replicators suck at making chips and salsa.

I think we've got every race nailed down...what about the Q continuum? What do they represent?

ScottieK

BluffTHIS!
12-12-2005, 04:57 PM
I know no one is taking the OP seriously, but Rodenberry's inclusion of Nichelle Nichols in the cast in the late 60s for a prime time show was very important for black television actors. And if you wanted to teach your children to accept all races equally then you could do no worse than having them watch all the Star Trek shows, from all the series, that they are willing to.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Klingons = blacks (loud in yer face very aggressive)

From memory, thus nowhere near complete.

Klingons played by black actors: Worf, Kurn, a couple of crewmen on the Pagh when Riker serves there.

Klingons played by white actors: Gowron, Duras, K'Mpec, Klagg, K'Ehlar, Lursa, B'Etor, Taural, Alexander (child and adult), Martok, Kahless, Kur, Koloth.

Klingons played by Native American actors: Kang

In TOS, Roddenberry patterned the Klingons after the Soviets, from TNG and beyond, they are culturally much more Japanese in nature.

You came to wrong place to spread lies about Klingons.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-12-2005, 05:23 PM
So, the Saudi Ambassador to the UN asks his American counterpart.

"My friend, you have always been honest with me, please answer me this question."

American: "Certainly, I will be honest."

Saudi: "My son loves your television show Star Trek, but he is concerned. he says there are all races and nationalities on Star Trek, Blacks, Asians, caucasians, Russians, Indians, Native Americans, French, Spanish, Aliens, but no Arabs. Why are there no Arabs on Star Trek?"

American: "That's easy. There are no Arabs on Star Trek because Star Trek takes place in the future."

&lt;rim shot&gt;

ThinkQuick
12-12-2005, 09:58 PM
The 'poor at life' status made me really really laugh

good job

masse75
12-12-2005, 11:07 PM
http://mujweb.cz/www/goauld/belanna.jpg

You know, I found her hotter with the klingon forehead than without.

12-13-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After watching Star Trek for a while, I have come to the conclusion that Star Trek is the most racist show that I have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

The MOST racist show! You've got to be kidding. How about All in the Family?

Star Trek racist? No

Dynasty
12-13-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling All in the Family a racist show is as dumb as calling Star Trek racist.

craig r
12-13-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking that the OP of this entire thread was being serious is even dumber. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

craig

12-13-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more racist than Star Trek. That's my point.

craig r
12-13-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking that the OP of this entire thread was being serious is even dumber. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking it is "dumber" instead of "more dumb" is the most stupidest though.

craig

Dynasty
12-13-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more racist than Star Trek. That's my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither show is remotely racist. So, you aren't making any point at all.

12-13-2005, 03:01 AM
I'm the dumbest. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

SinCityGuy
12-13-2005, 05:24 AM
TOS had an episode on the absurdity of racism. Two men from a planet whose people are out to destroy each other end up on the Enterprise. Their vendetta is motivated by superficial racial differences -- one is black on the left side of his body and white on the right, while the other has the colors reversed.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3140/200pxbeleandlokai4lg.jpg

CCass
12-13-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, the Saudi Ambassador to the UN asks his American counterpart.

"My friend, you have always been honest with me, please answer me this question."

American: "Certainly, I will be honest."

Saudi: "My son loves your television show Star Trek, but he is concerned. he says there are all races and nationalities on Star Trek, Blacks, Asians, caucasians, Russians, Indians, Native Americans, French, Spanish, Aliens, but no Arabs. Why are there no Arabs on Star Trek?"

American: "That's easy. There are no Arabs on Star Trek because Star Trek takes place in the future."

&lt;rim shot&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurn,

I would never argue Star Trek with you, but some would argue that Kahn was from the middle east.

startrek.com says Kahn was from India.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-13-2005, 11:21 AM
IIRC, Khan Singh was a Sikh.

diebitter
12-13-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IIRC, Khan Singh was a Sikh.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~jg95/graphics/avatars/100/santa_khan.jpg

12-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Maybe its an urban myth, but my understanding was that Rodenberry had used the Russians as models for the Klingons, Japanese and Chinese for Vulcans and Romulans etc.

Beer and Pizza
12-13-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TOS had an episode on the absurdity of racism. Two men from a planet whose people are out to destroy each other end up on the Enterprise. Their vendetta is motivated by superficial racial differences -- one is black on the left side of his body and white on the right, while the other has the colors reversed.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3140/200pxbeleandlokai4lg.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, this episode received an emmy for make-up.

imported_The Vibesman
12-13-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TOS had an episode on the absurdity of racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive my ignorance: What does TOS mean?

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Original series maybe, but the Klingon uniforms and rituals TNG and onward are very Japanese

offTopic
12-13-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TOS had an episode on the absurdity of racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive my ignorance: What does TOS mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

TOS = The Original Series

Buccaneer
12-13-2005, 05:46 PM
You young whipper snappers amaze me with what you do not know. The origional ST was about a future where men and women were equals, we had discarded our hate of people that don't look like us, and we all lived in peace and harmony still having to deal with issues that make us human. The first interracial kiss -Star Trek, the russians complained there was no russian so there was the next year, the klingons were the russians but we were dealing with them, the show dealt with nazi thinking, destroying you enemy vs. compassion (the Gorg lizard show), race relations (the half black half white faced aliens, the origional even had a female as the #1, it also dealt with hippies, dropping out, tuning out, war, genetic enginerring and many other issues of the time and of the future.

Hell they even had cell phones, ray guns, personal computers, things not even thought of back then, and Kirk even did the nasty with an indian chick and he had her baby. Premarital sex in the 60's baby!!! Sure it wasn't Will and Grace but Will never had to orbit Uranus (your anus).

Dynasty
12-13-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You young whipper snappers amaze me with what you do not know. The origional ST was about a future where men and women were equals...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Women were not equal in TOS. Women were specifically barred from being starship captains. The final episode of the series, Turnabout Intruder, deals with this.

[ QUOTE ]
...we had discarded our hate of people that don't look like us

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, either. Many crew members (sometimes for just one episode) had predjudices, particulary towards Spock.

[ QUOTE ]
...and we all lived in peace and harmony still having to deal with issues that make us human.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the wars that were fought with the Romulans (prior to TOS) and Klingons (during TOS).

crownjules
12-13-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You young whipper snappers amaze me with what you do not know. The origional ST was about a future where men and women were equals...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Women were not equal in TOS. Women were specifically barred from being starship captains. The final episode of the series, Turnabout Intruder, deals with this.

[ QUOTE ]
...we had discarded our hate of people that don't look like us

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, either. Many crew members (sometimes for just one episode) had predjudices, particulary towards Spock.

[ QUOTE ]
...and we all lived in peace and harmony still having to deal with issues that make us human.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the wars that were fought with the Romulans (prior to TOS) and Klingons (during TOS).

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he meant that they had solved/put aside most of their inter-human differences. Why? Probably because they had aliens now which they could turn on. We still had prejudice, war, etc... It just wasn't against other humans anymore.

Buccaneer
12-14-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know this. Is that the one where they somehow switched Kirks mind with this chick and then she went to the enterprise to be captain in Kirks body? The one where Spock smelled a rat when Kirk was doing his nails on the bridge?

Duke
12-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Gainan isn't human.

~D

theben
12-14-2005, 03:50 PM
although that is an interesting observation, i disagree.

1. Capt. Sisko was black and he was awesome. they wouldn't have made him a hero if they were racist

2. Worf, played my micheal dorn (a black man) was one of the most honorable and noble characters on TNG, DS9, etc.

3. I've seem almost every single TNG ever. about 10% of them are highly preachy episodes trying to make some very liberal political statement

4. Capt. Piccard is the most tolerant, non racist person ever and he is hands down the best star trek character of all time.

and i don't think the japanese are "emotionless" people.

Buccaneer
12-14-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall this. I know McCoy was always ragging on Spock but that was mostly bluster. Examples????

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really did not get this from it. I saw it as a representation of the Cold War because there was an uneasy truce in which battles may have been fought but wars didn't break out. There was secret missions to steal the "cloaking device" and wars fought by proxy, remember the klingons providing technology to a group of primatives and Kirk was sent to give them a better gun or sword.

You seem to have kept up with the show more than I did. Is the hot vulcan chick on the newest ST the old lady that ran the show on vulcan in that episode where Spock got a bad case of the Blue Balls and had to fight for his slutty wife?

Duke
12-14-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4. Capt. Piccard is the most tolerant, non racist person ever and he is hands down the best star trek character of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty strong statement. There have been some good Star Trek characters. I'm not even sure if I disagree, but it's a strong statement.

~D

diebitter
12-14-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He is, but why on earth did they make someone so great and obviously English (and I'm talking attitude here, not accent) into a Frenchie? Good God wot!

imported_anacardo
12-14-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
although that is an interesting observation, i disagree.

1. Capt. Sisko was black and he was awesome. they wouldn't have made him a hero if they were racist

2. Worf, played my micheal dorn (a black man) was one of the most honorable and noble characters on TNG, DS9, etc.

3. I've seem almost every single TNG ever. about 10% of them are highly preachy episodes trying to make some very liberal political statement

and i don't think the japanese are "emotionless" people.

[/ QUOTE ]

When and how were you unbanned?

Beer and Pizza
12-14-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He is, but why on earth did they make someone so great and obviously English (and I'm talking attitude here, not accent) into a Frenchie? Good God wot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the French suck. There is a thread about the French sucking in Politics right now called "Math, Logic, and Ideology."

Go figure.

diebitter
12-14-2005, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't say the French suck, it's just the sensibility and attitude of Picard is hardcore English officer (a type pretty firmly established since the Napoleonic wars onwards), that's all.

Jeez, never thought I'd be defending the French here /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

offTopic
12-14-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall this. I know McCoy was always ragging on Spock but that was mostly bluster. Examples????

[/ QUOTE ]
In the episode where they first encounter the Romulans, whoever the guy is that is at the helm with Sulu is exhibiting prejudice towards Spock throughout most of the episode. Then, when they actually see the Romulan commander, 'that guy' does the look-at-the-screen-look-at-Spock triple (or even quadruple) take.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Is the hot vulcan chick on the newest ST the old lady that ran the show on vulcan

No. Old Vulcan lady on TOS - T'Pau
Hot chick on Enterprise - T'Pol
Chick who dissed Spock - T'Pring

Beer and Pizza
12-14-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say the French suck, it's just the sensibility and attitude of Picard is hardcore English officer (a type pretty firmly established since the Napoleonic wars onwards), that's all.

Jeez, never thought I'd be defending the French here /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they still turn your military heroes into Dukes?

Like Marlborough and Wellington.

Churchill should have been made a Duke, IMO.

CCass
12-14-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Picard was a great character and a helluva Captain, but he was no Kirk.

Kirk was a baller.

Buccaneer
12-14-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whoever the guy is that is at the helm with Sulu is exhibiting prejudice towards Spock throughout most of the episode. Then, when they actually see the Romulan commander, 'that guy' does the look-at-the-screen-look-at-Spock triple (or even quadruple) take.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that one now and how I felt when I saw it at 12 yrs old. I saw a crew man that naturally catagorized Spock because of his likeness to the enemy. I also saw Spock become uncomfortable/suprised himself although he was above all that emotion stuff. I think in the end the lesson was that they might be forced to blow up the Romulins but that Spock was ok even if he "looked" the same. Now that sissy captain on The Next Generation would have invited them to high tea and bisquets. The whole show was ahead of it's time about a lot of things. I heard Rodenberry speak at university and he said this was his intent.

diebitter
12-14-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Picard was a great character and a helluva Captain, but he was no Kirk.

Kirk was a baller.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Kirk , of course. But he was a lad. Picard was a man.

Beer and Pizza
12-14-2005, 05:40 PM
TNG showed the fundamental flaw of a show with a cast of regulars who will not leave the show. It grows stagnant.

They killed off one main character early in the series, and then nothing.

They should have randomly pulled a name out of a hat each year and told that actor.. "this is the year you get killed off"

That would bring some excitement and unpredictability to a show that otherwise is too predictable as the "immortal" actors can get in any situation without fear of dying.

diebitter
12-14-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they still turn your military heroes into Dukes?

Like Marlborough and Wellington.

Churchill should have been made a Duke, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It varies. Nelson was made a Lord, for example.

We had too many British (the Scots and the Welsh made a damn good show of it too) heroes for all that nonsense. I'm not kidding. Here's a past thread about one (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Number=3633353&amp;page=0&amp;fpart=1&amp;v c=1)

Doesn't matter what honours you gave Churchill, he couldn't have been a greater man or been held in higher esteem than he is, IMO.

Beer and Pizza
12-14-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It varies. Nelson was made a Lord, for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

He would have made Duke if he had lived long enough. The story of Marlborough and Wellington are similar. They kept getting bumped up in title rank every few years as they continued to produce victories. Nelson died in battle, and you don't get titles posthumously.

Its a much better system than just giving titles to Royal family members (York, Kent, Gloucester) - what have they ever done for anybody?

Dynasty
12-14-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whoever the guy is that is at the helm with Sulu is exhibiting prejudice towards Spock throughout most of the episode. Then, when they actually see the Romulan commander, 'that guy' does the look-at-the-screen-look-at-Spock triple (or even quadruple) take.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that one now and how I felt when I saw it at 12 yrs old. I saw a crew man that naturally catagorized Spock because of his likeness to the enemy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That episode is a good example.

Most of the Vulcan predjudice can be seen in the first season episodes. It always involves human characters being intolerant with Spock's lack of emotion.

Dynasty
12-14-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know this. Is that the one where they somehow switched Kirks mind with this chick and then she went to the enterprise to be captain in Kirks body?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the episode.

I believe Roddenberry later regretted showing Star Fleet captains as men only, especially since the first officer in the original, rejected Star Trek pilot was a woman.

Dynasty
12-14-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the hot vulcan chick on the newest ST the old lady that ran the show on vulcan

No. Old Vulcan lady on TOS - T'Pau
Hot chick on Enterprise - T'Pol
Chick who dissed Spock - T'Pring

[/ QUOTE ]

The original idea for the prequel show Enterprise was for the Vulcan woman to indeed be T'Pau. But, they went in another direction.

Dynasty
12-14-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really did not get this from it. I saw it as a representation of the Cold War because there was an uneasy truce in which battles may have been fought but wars didn't break out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Earth and Romulus had an extended war about 100 years prior to the events in TOS. There's talk of an 11th Star Trek motion picture which will show the events of that war and the birth of the Federation of Planets.

Complete war broke out between the Federation and Klingon Empire during TOS. But, it only lasted one episode. After that, they went back to their cold war stuff.

offTopic
12-14-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that one now and how I felt when I saw it at 12 yrs old. I saw a crew man that naturally catagorized Spock because of his likeness to the enemy. I also saw Spock become uncomfortable/suprised himself although he was above all that emotion stuff. I think in the end the lesson was that they might be forced to blow up the Romulins but that Spock was ok even if he "looked" the same. Now that sissy captain on The Next Generation would have invited them to high tea and bisquets. The whole show was ahead of it's time about a lot of things. I heard Rodenberry speak at university and he said this was his intent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, I'm really geeking out over this...

He was prejudiced against Spock because of his non-humanness, and hated the Romulans because they offed his family. When he saw what the Romulans looked like, that galvanized his feelings...until Spock saved his life at the end.

Another episode where the human crew members are getting all pissy about Spock being cold and logical is the one where the shuttlecraft gets stranded and they're getting attacked by big, scary men in furry suits. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dynasty
12-14-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Jeez, I'm really geeking out over this...

[/ QUOTE ]

http://images.zap2it.com/20041026/03_theincredibles.jpg

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-15-2005, 10:17 AM
There's talk of an 11th Star Trek motion picture which will show the events of that war and the birth of the Federation of Planets.

Sounds like Pie in the Sky. A Star Trek movie without familiar Star Trek characters? I think you and I and a lot of people would like to see it, but i doubt it plays to general audiences.

That being said, the last 2 movies were, to be kind, disappointing. Insurrection just plain sucked and Nemesis was derivative.

Buccaneer
12-15-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there are no fences in space. Just a joke guys.

12-15-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there are no fences in space. Just a joke guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw Q Who episode last night. I guess Star Trek realized this cultural problem and introduced Ensign Sonya Gomez to engineering. Talk about social equity. She promptly spilled hot chocolate all over Captain Picard. I thought it should have been tequila or Tecate, but that's just me.

ScottieK