PDA

View Full Version : To all the consultants out there...

Terrabon98
12-12-2005, 01:35 AM
I'm beginning the search for summer internships at various management consulting firms around the country. I am primarily interested in the big companies, such as Bain, McKinsey, BCG, etc., but this is mostly due to the fact that they oversaturate themselves at the business school that I attend, and so that's all I really know.

Now I have started to read up on some of these companies and talked to a couple people that have worked for them, but I'd like to hear from any of you consultants out there about your own experience with your company. It's not really possible to get an idea of what working at a company is like from the douchebags that they send to our schools, so I'm having a hard time grasping the difference between the various companies.

Any input/advice/suggestions/thoughts that any of you guys have would be greatly appreciated, either about what it's like working at a specific company, or in the consulting world in general.

youtalkfunny
12-12-2005, 03:18 AM
Sorry, can't help ya. I just need to tell this story every time I hear the word "consultant".

ME: So what are you doing nowadays?
COUSIN: I'm a consultant.
ME: What does a consultant do?
COUSIN: We paint bulls-eyes around bullet holes.

Terrabon98
12-12-2005, 03:22 AM
haha how inspiring...

TheWorstPlayer
12-12-2005, 04:48 AM
www.mow.com (http://www.mow.com)

If interested, PM me.

tonypaladino
12-12-2005, 05:11 AM
You're not gonna get a job at McKinsey right out of school unless you're Chelsea Clinton

edtost
12-12-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not gonna get a job at McKinsey right out of school unless you're Chelsea Clinton

[/ QUOTE ]

not so much true as false. they hire lots of kids straight out of undergrad.

(not to be misconstrued as a claim that I could get a job there right out of school.)

Terrabon98
12-12-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true at all. I have a friend who just graduated last year from school and is now working for them as an analyst. They don't hire a lot of people, I agree, but they certainly hire some.

kenberman
12-12-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's actually much easier to get a job at McKinsey right out of business school than after working for a few years. it's how they get the majority of their new employees. granted, they only recruit out of the top 15 or so b schools, and they are some of the most coveted jobs for 2nd year MBA's.

jaydub
12-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Tony,

That is flat out wrong. Please stick to posting about things which you have some clue about.

OP

You need to provide much more detail, we don't even know what you want.

J

12-12-2005, 11:34 AM
I used to be a consultant for the Department of the Interior. Yes, painting bulls-eyes around bullet holes is an accurate description (nice metaphor.) Being a consultant for the federales is quite an experience. Endless meetings, stop work orders, deliverables that got shelved almost immediately, and dealing with little fiefdoms that really didn't have to do a damned thing. Lots of short notice travel, maybe around 50% of the time. I did get lots of experience interviewing subject matter experts, giving presentations and training seminars, and doing a bunch of other things. FWIW.

ScottieK

Jdanz
12-12-2005, 06:42 PM
i'll second this i'm looking into a consulting internship for the summer as well.