PDA

View Full Version : A great NL play but I didn't reap the rewards.

Tyler Durden
07-16-2003, 01:00 PM
$20 single table NL tourney on Paradise.

It's early, blinds at T10 and T20. I have T-1685 making me the chip leader.

I'm in MP w/ AcKd. I openraise for T-65. I get called by a guy in LP. We're heads up. This guy has T-760 in his stack.

Flop comes As-Js-3h.
I bet T50 and he calls.

Turn is Ad.
I check b/c I want him to bet if he has a weaker Ace.
He goes all-in for T645. I'm happy to call so I do.
He shows AQ.

The river is another Jack. Chop it up.

Shrug.

gunboat
07-16-2003, 02:10 PM
With a flush draw on the board bet the flop bigger - at least pot size.

Bet the turn. If he as a weaker A he is calling. If he is on a draw, you need to charge him. You gave him a chance to hit a flush for next to nothing if he had 2 spades.

Nottom
07-16-2003, 02:38 PM
I agree with Gunboat, you need to bet bigger on the flop to charge to flush draw (I nearly always overbet the pot with a flushdraw there) and just go ahead and push-in on the turn when the second ace comes. You certainly don't need him to hit his miracle card on the river for free if he doesn't have an ace and if he does he's gonna call.

Rickfish
07-16-2003, 03:21 PM
If you bet the pot you are offering 2 to 1 on a 4 to 1 shot. So I wouldn't overbet the pot. If no flush comes same again on river. All calls of pot bets with a flush draw will be mistakes. Obviously the more you bet the bigger the mistake will be but the more you bet the less likely the call so no mistake. I don't even mind betting 75% of the pot on the basis that you are more likely to get a call and it is still a mistake (2.33 to 1 vs 4 to 1). I suppose the real question is how much is this guy prepared to call for. If he always chases down flushes then overbet the pot. Needless to say, you don't mind a call from AQ either.