PDA

View Full Version : Running bad, playin' scared and missing bets

CrackerZack
07-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Since returning from my vacation, I had a horrid few days on party costing my poor bank roll over 110 BBs. I felt like i was playing well but being run down over and over during the first 60 or so, after that I think it started to affect me. I'm trying to work through it and figured there is no better way than to come here and be flamed. So lets begin...

first hand:
I get Td6d in the BB, 5 limpers, SB completes, i happily check my free play.

Flop: Jd 4d 3h
SB checks, I check (should i lead here? it won't get checked around and I'm more looking to see where the strength lies. Also if EP bets and all call, I can C/R and build a pot), next player bets, 3 calls, cutoff raises, button folds, SB cold calls, I call (not wanting to shutout limpers since i'm drawing), 4 others call. 6 to the turn.

Turn: (Jd 4d 3h) 7s
SB checks, I check again (picked up more outs, should i lead here?) EP checks, next EP now wakes up and bets, 2 folds, cutoff calls, SB calls, I call (?), EP folds. 4 to the river.

River: (Jd 4d 3h 7s) 5h
SB checks, I bet (afraid it would be checked around, playing scared?) remaining EP calls, cutoff folds, SB calls and my hand is good.

I didn't feel good about how I played this hand but wasn't sure what should've been changed. I feel like i was playing it scared but i didn't have any nut draws, but good draws nonetheless... any comments would be appreciated.

2nd hand...
4 limpers to me in the SB, I complete with Qd9d, BB checks

Flop: Qc 7h 6h
I check hoping to c/r a late position bettor since i'm not in love with my kicker, BB decides that's not gonna happen and bets, 4 calls, one fold, and I call. figure teh BB has top pair, but i have a good chance of having him on kicker.

Turn: (Qc 7h 6h) 5s
I check again, BB bets again, 2 calls, a fold, a call, I call (weak again?).

River: (Qc 7h 6h 5s) 9c
I check again, checked around and i'm good (BB had Q4). I felt like such a calling station after this. Where should I have raised if ever? Is a river bet warranted? A river bet and fold to a raise seems warranted here but at the time I was just looking at the board and saying here we go again. Comments? help a poor lost soul?

Running bad isn't fun. I flopped 5 sets yesterday, 4 of them on monotone boards, and lost all 5. The one that wasn't monotone the PF capper with AA rivered his 2 outer (not a bad beat as I was losing big PF just started to wear on me) had AA and KK within 10 mins and both times the board flopped monotone also... i had nightmares about monotone boards. Alright enough of my whining...

MaxPower
07-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Hand 1 - This isn't the kind of draw that I would want to jam the pot with. On the river, I would try to checkraise if the opponents were extremely aggresives, but betting out is fine as you are likely to get called by many worse hands.

Hand 2 - This is a tough one to play. Your hand is mediocre and your position bad. Its is going to depend highly on what I think of the players. I don't think a check-raise accomplishes much here as any good draws won't be making a mistake to call it and will likely bet themselves.

I would bet the turn and possibly fold to raise, depending on who the raiser is.

But I assume you are talking about Party 3/6 here, in which case, it is very difficult to lay down this hand unless there is tremendous action.

Hang in there. Unfortunately 110 big bets isn't that big of a swing - it could be worse. If you have enought bankroll, hang in there and you will turn it around.

CrackerZack
07-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Ok...well if it is, here's an AA hand.

UTG+1 I'm dealt AcAh. I raise, 3 cold calls EP, MP, LP, sb folds, BB calls...now every has a neat acronym.

Flop: Qc Tc 5c (shockingly I have a club so this monotone board isn't its usual scary self)

I bet, EP calls, MP calls, LP raise, BB calls cold, I call (thought about raising but didn't want to shut EP/MP since I believe i'm behind. the raiser certainly hasn't shown any idea how to do anything tricky enough to be considered a semi-bluff... weak again?)

Turn: (Qc Tc 5c) As
BB checks, I bet out, EP calls, MP folds, LP just calls this time (? maybe I was ahead and was seeing those monsters again), BB calls.

River: (Qc Tc 5c As) Qs
BB checks, I bet, EP folds, LP calls, BB calls, my 2nd nuts are good. should I have C/R'd the turn? how about the river?

ok, this is also a thin excuse to push my post to the top. i'm caught but also in need of some assistance/sanity checks.

Edit: for those who care, LP had 4c3c for the flopped flush and SB had Qx with x being a club between 5-T exclusive.

MaxPower
07-16-2003, 05:34 PM
I doubt a re-raise on the flop would shut anybody out.

On the turn I think you need to bet it yourself because allowing a free card would be awfull and your hand can stand a raise.

On the river, you need to base your decision to checkraise on the usual thought process (as explained in TOP). In this case, I think it is unlikely to work unless the LP is hyper-aggresive.

So I think you played it fine, but I would be curious to hear what others think of re-raising on the flop.

Louie Landale
07-16-2003, 06:31 PM
This is not a "how do I play this hand" problem, its a "How do I manage my lousy attitude" problem. With all the emotional and mental distraction you'll never be able to think fast enough to make the good non-intuitive play, much less notice when the better is weak and you should steal from him.

Your attitude is the enemy. Try some of these: [] play lower levels until it improves [] play squeaky tight preflop then boarderline maniac if you flop something [] force yourself to make a spectacular raise bluff [] One time leave a table early as a comfortable winner [] really focus on what the other players are doing, even take notes. Figure out who is really weak or loose or whatever.

- Louie

AceHigh
07-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Hand 1 - your play is reasonable, the looser the callers you should lean towards a check/reraise the flop.

Hand 2 - you missed a bet on the river.