PDA

View Full Version : Swings

12-11-2005, 01:23 PM
I had been playing pretty tight and following a fold or fit strategy and also only drawing to OESD and Flushdraws if pot odds applied.

It seems that after reading SSH by Miller that I need to be playing on more than normal. I am starting this following the books suggestions, but my swing today is down. Am I to expect, in comparison with my previous style of play, that I will have higher swings?

It feels pretty scary to see a flush draw in a pot and be raising with 4 other people following! And then not catch the cards... Had that happen a few times in a row and down quite a bit!

Cheers

Peter

Greg J
12-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Poker is a high variance game. Poker played correctly is a very high game. Yes, bet yr flush draws with 3+ other people in (most of the time). If you don't hit later, that does not make yr previous decisions any less correct. Yr flush will come in ~35% of the time. It's going to happen that you go a long time without hitting. This will lead to some losing sessions.

Fit and fold is a philosophy that works pretty well in small pots. In larger ones you need to be a little more liberal with yr money.

Sorry if this response is somewhat general, but so was yr question. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It does seem like you are overly concerend with short term results. This is not something that makes you a bad person or anything, but just be cognizant that it is not the best way to think about poker.

Welcome to the boards.
Greg

12-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Its true that I may be overly concerned with short term results /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm not on a big bankroll, playing 25c/50c with some $500 - this may sound adaquate for the size but I do worry LOL

I do find the book to be pretty reasurring and help in keeping my mind on the long run /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Probbaly just having a bad run of cards.

Peter

12-11-2005, 03:16 PM
If you don't like the way they think you should play your hands in SSH, then just don't do it. Play it the way you like and after X amount of hands go back and review your sesssions and compare how it would end up in comparison to if you played it differently. I don't follow all book examples since I am not comfortable with it and I am in no way using any book as my bible, and I do good.

So, if you want to play in a certain way, then please do so, just remember to go back and review those certain situations later on and see if you would do better playing it by the book.

mojobluesman
12-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Post some hands because some of the concepts in SSH aren't all that clear. I misapplied some of them for awhile. It helps to have details. Your game will certainly be more volatile though.