PDA

View Full Version : Dogtown & Z-Boys

06-05-2002, 12:39 AM
What an amazing documentary; right up there w/Crumb & Beyond The Mat, which means it won't get nominated for an Oscar. /images/smile.gif

Anyone btwn the ages of 30-45, esp. suburban middle-class white boys, will recognize all of it immediately, while for everyone else it will give you a portrait of a unique, never to return era.

Special props for the soundtrack including a non-Boys Are Back In Town, Thin Lizzy song.

06-05-2002, 01:42 AM

06-05-2002, 02:12 AM
i've been wanting to see it for a while now. i hope i get a chance before it's out of the theater.

06-05-2002, 11:34 AM

06-05-2002, 01:41 PM
I'm going tomorrow. What is "Beyond the Mat" about?

06-05-2002, 04:21 PM
Is about rasslin', focusing on Mankind, Terry Funk, & Jake the Snake. It is NOT a puff piece, and McMahon tried to stop its release, though he had given full backstage access during the filming.

06-05-2002, 04:54 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about. I did, however see "Crumb". I thought it was the second best documentary made in the last ten years (second to "American Movie", of course).

06-06-2002, 03:11 AM
Great documentary on the origins of skateboarding, and the skate team that was the precursor to the X games.

"Dogtown & Z-Boys" is the title; narrated by Sean Penn.

If you liked American Movie, you have to go see Storytelling. Trust me.

06-06-2002, 04:16 AM
i never saw american movie. but a friend of mine tracked down the dudes responsible. and she got a copy of Coven, and a tape of one of the dude from American Movie playing a bunch of stuff on his guitar. it was cool, and i wasn't even in on the original movie.

06-07-2002, 02:34 PM
Bill-Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, Blockbuster doesn't carry Storytelling. Surprise, surprise. They must need the extra shelf space for that 40th copy of Corky Romano.

06-08-2002, 03:41 AM
how true.

anyone else notice that blockbuster is quite lackluster when it comes to those offbeat films that you really want to see? the store by my house has about a zillion copies of harry potter, and 7 other new releases (i liked harry potter, don't get me wrong...) but i have yet to see Dr. Strangelove (i want to see all of Kubrick's films eventually) because they don't carry it. i mean, you can see Freddy Got Fingered, or Escape from L.A. or all the different editions of the old John Wayne movies, but wanna see a classic movie from a classic director? tough luck, check out ou competitor, who is even less likely to have it. oh, but you still owe us $234124 in late charges on Shrek, which was late because you don't get up before noon...

06-08-2002, 11:44 AM
Baggins-You can't go wrong with any Kubrick. Even the really old stuff is great (The Killing and Paths Of Glory, especially). It's rare that I'd say that about a film from the 50's. I'm about the same age as you are.