PDA

View Full Version : 1995-2000ish video games

splashpot
12-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Someone with better knowledge of videogames than myself should create a bracket tournament that includes games from the 1995-2000ish era. Some phenomenal games were created during this era. The few that come to mind include The Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, FF7, Starcraft, Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Crono Cross, and Soul Calibur. What games am I missing that deserve to be included in a contest like this?? I know I must be missing a lot of PC games.

Yeti
12-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Quake. Half-Life.

Blarg
12-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Descent
Total Annihilation
Magic Carpet
Commanche
NASCAR
Longbow
Silent Hunter
Worms
Need for Speed

I think those are right for that time frame.

12-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Warcraft/Warcraft 2
Unreal tournament

Only 2 I can think of right now.

tubalkain
12-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Descent: Freespace
Freespace 2

Only 2 I can think of... that time period was kinda boring.

MelchyBeau
12-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Diablo, Diablo 2, everquest

CourtJester
12-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Zelda Ocarina of Time, my favorite game ever, i actually started playing it again 4 days ago, and am at the water temple /images/graemlins/grin.gif

EliteNinja
12-12-2005, 05:41 AM
Half-Life: Counter-Strike (1999)

housenuts
12-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Goldeneye is easily the best game made during this time period

Cumulonimbus
12-12-2005, 06:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Zelda Ocarina of Time, my favorite game ever, i actually started playing it again 4 days ago, and am at the water temple /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh wow. I forgot how fun this game is. Enjoy it man. I think I'm inspired to find a 64 just to play that game.

ZeeJustin
12-12-2005, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ.

<----------- (i hope that points to my avatar, but I have a feeling it's gonna be a bit low.)

splashpot
12-12-2005, 07:00 AM
I think I'll try to put this tourny together after durron finishes his. Keep the ideas coming though. Also, would you consider Half-Life and Counterstike to be 2 different games?

12-12-2005, 07:00 AM
put Resident Evil 2 in the discussion

but yea FF7 is the best by far

Dudd
12-12-2005, 07:04 AM
It won't win, cause no one has heard of it, but Deus Ex is easily one of the best games ever.

housenuts
12-12-2005, 07:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

<----------- (i hope that points to my avatar, but I have a feeling it's gonna be a bit low.)

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know what your avatar is. looks to be some rpg typeish game. meh. congrats on your day btw. i saw the ft.

splashpot
12-12-2005, 07:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know what your avatar is. looks to be some rpg typeish game. meh. congrats on your day btw. i saw the ft.

[/ QUOTE ]
His avatar is Final Fantasy 7.

splashpot
12-12-2005, 07:37 AM
What about some sports games?? I like NFL Blitz because it was completely different and still tons of fun. And Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 because it pwns it's category.

But what about other games like Madden NFL 2001, NBA Live 2001, or NBA Courtside 2. Or anything else. Do they belong?

Vavavoom
12-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Playstation = FF7/FF8??
N64 = Goldeneye...

Any poll done will end up with these 2 as finalists.....

ansky451
12-12-2005, 08:44 AM
N64: Super Smash Bros.

pokerdirty
12-12-2005, 10:08 AM
C&C
NHL 95

i'll think of more..

toss
12-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Impossible to come to a conclusion. Like asking whats the best color.

BCPVP
12-12-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Impossible to come to a conclusion. Like asking whats the best color.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pssh green, duh!

durron597
12-12-2005, 11:14 AM
When the other poll finished out I was going to do a poll for N64, Dreamcast and PS1 games only.

Though I don't know why I'd bother because FFVII will win handily. Right? Right.

SoloAJ
12-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Goldeneye, Counterstike, Final Fantasy 7, C&C Red Alert
are the top games of this period. Easily

I would think FF7 would win over Goldeneye....but HL:CS is probably the best game out of the bunch.

astroglide
12-12-2005, 02:16 PM
ocarina was rereleased for the gamecube (along with majora's mask, etc)

WackityWhiz
12-12-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm Dead Meat!!!

http://geizhals.at/img/pix/11743.jpg

many many hours spent behind this game... still fun to play if that makes a difference in this 'soon to be' poll

-WW

MrWookie47
12-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Can I request that we separate console and PC games? They cater to such different market niches, and it's harder to find people who've actually played both if a console and a PC game get paired up. FWIW, I'm taking Half-Life all the way in a PC only or a combined poll.

splashpot
12-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Here's what I had so far:

N64:
-Goldeneye
-Mario Kart 64
-NFL Blitz
-Super Mario 64
-Super Smash Bros
-Zelda: Ocarina of Time

PS:
-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
-Chrono Cross
-Final Fantasy 7
-Gran Turismo 2
-Metal Gear Solid
-Resident Evil 3
-Tekken 3
-Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
-Twisted Metal 2

Dreamcast:
-Soul Calibur

PC:
-Baldur's Gate
-Counterstrike
-Deus Ex
-Diablo
-EverQuest
-Freespace 2
-Homeworld
-Quake 3
-Starcraft
-The Sims
-Total Annihilation
-Unreal Tournament
-Worms Armageddon

I don't know. Should this be done as seperate or combined? I almost had a bracket worked out for a combined tournament, but I will admit to not having played most of the PC games. If it's seperate, we would have to add more games to each group, but I don't have the experience to deal with the PC group. My childhood was primarily console games.

TheMainEvent
12-12-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Worms

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/heart.gif

B Dids
12-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Diablo2 >>> Diablo ('cause I think Diablo itself is kinda lame).

(edit- unless D2 is post 2000, which wouldn't shock me).

splashpot
12-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Diablo 2
Release Date: Jun 27, 2001

Edit: Correction- that was for the expansion. You're right, Diablo 2 was released Jun 29, 2000.

12-12-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Worms

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/268/wepsheep9ir.gif

pokerdirty
12-12-2005, 03:32 PM
i never got StarCraft and it's success. It was just another RTS game. Give me one of the C&C games anyday (preferably Red Alert)

splashpot
12-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Screw it. Sorry durron, I already have this all set up so I'm just gonna do the combined tournament. I'll wait til yours is done though. I added C&C Red Alert.

istewart
12-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Warzone was kind've fun despite how gay wrestling was.

Perfect Dark, IMO, sucked.

Hornacek
12-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Might want to add WoW or WCIII.

GoldenEye should pwn this category.

durron597
12-12-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Screw it. Sorry durron, I already have this all set up so I'm just gonna do the combined tournament. I'll wait til yours is done though. I added C&C Red Alert.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking to tpir about this over PM a few days ago. So many ppl were bitching over the PC/console no split that I thought it would be better to do this era separately.

I have no problem if you run the polls though.

12-12-2005, 03:55 PM
tony hawk pro skater
tony hawk pro skater 2

DrSavage
12-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Heroes of Might and Magic should be there somewhere.
And Mechwarrior 2

WackityWhiz
12-12-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tony hawk pro skater
tony hawk pro skater 2

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh yes

splashpot
12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking to tpir about this over PM a few days ago. So many ppl were bitching over the PC/console no split that I thought it would be better to do this era separately.

I have no problem if you run the polls though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sigh...maybe you're right. It does make more sense that way. But someone else would have to do the PC part. I know nothing about 75% of those PC games.

durron597
12-12-2005, 03:58 PM
me neither /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hornacek
12-12-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tony hawk pro skater
tony hawk pro skater 2

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh yes

[/ QUOTE ]

can we add PS3 as well... what a sick game. 4 was hard... I actually never finished all those damn hero challenges.

MarkL444
12-12-2005, 04:14 PM
i vote

1. FF7
2. Starcraft
3. Diablo 2
4. Goldeneye

Ive been planning to replay ff7 again soon. i put over 100 hrs into it way back when, but after that i never played it. i think if i started again it would be just like the first time. or close at least.

starcraft just owns. hard. i dont care what blarg says.

also maybe honorable mention to C&C1. that game made me fall in love with RTS games.

astroglide
12-12-2005, 04:18 PM
thps2 is basically 'where it began'. the game was more or less complete with the inclusion of manuals. the stuff that has been added since then has been fair, but nowhere near as important (e.g. reverts).

srgodm
12-12-2005, 06:28 PM
FFVII is my all time favorite video game. Has anyone seen FFVII - Advent Children? It kicks ass.

gonores
12-12-2005, 07:07 PM
I can't imagine Goldeneye not running away with this.

Senor Cardgage
12-12-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-Goldeneye

[/ QUOTE ]

Two of my favorite games. Actually, I'd have to label SotN my favorite game all-time. I've played it through, >200%, at least four times.

Crisseagrim > Alucard Shield.

astroglide
12-12-2005, 07:38 PM
goldeneye is great if you like [censored] graphics, [censored] controls, and no internet play. why anybody played that boggles my mind. it's like playing quake with mittens.

ilya
12-12-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's what I had so far:

N64:
-Goldeneye
-Mario Kart 64
-NFL Blitz
-Super Mario 64
-Super Smash Bros
-Zelda: Ocarina of Time

PS:
-Chrono Cross
-Final Fantasy 7
-Gran Turismo 2
-Metal Gear Solid
-Resident Evil 3
-Tekken 3
-Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
-Twisted Metal 2

Dreamcast:
-Soul Calibur

PC:
-Baldur's Gate
-Counterstrike
-Deus Ex
-Diablo
-EverQuest
-Freespace 2
-Homeworld
-Quake 3
-Starcraft
-The Sims
-Total Annihilation
-Unreal Tournament
-Worms Armageddon

I don't know. Should this be done as seperate or combined? I almost had a bracket worked out for a combined tournament, but I will admit to not having played most of the PC games. If it's seperate, we would have to add more games to each group, but I don't have the experience to deal with the PC group. My childhood was primarily console games.

[/ QUOTE ]

PS:

Vagrant Story
Xenogears
Suikoden II

dreamcast:

Shenmue

PC:

No One Lives Forever
Fallout
System Shock 2

Blarg
12-12-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I request that we separate console and PC games? They cater to such different market niches, and it's harder to find people who've actually played both if a console and a PC game get paired up. FWIW, I'm taking Half-Life all the way in a PC only or a combined poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on the separation. Many people have played exclusively or almost exclusively one or the other, and even if they've done a fair amount of dabbling back and forth, won't even know half the games they're putting against each other. And since consoles outsell PC/mac games by a mile, even mediocre console games stand an excellent chance of trouncing the very best PC/mac games.

ilya
12-12-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on the separation. Many people have played exclusively or almost exclusively one or the other, and even if they've done a fair amount of dabbling back and forth, won't even know half the games they're putting against each other. And since consoles outsell PC/mac games by a mile, even mediocre console games stand an excellent chance of trouncing the very best PC/mac games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another vote for separating the two. PC games would have little chance against the much more popular console games, which would be a pity, as 1995-2000 was sort of a golden age for PC gaming.

Blarg
12-12-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree and I think most people do. Even though hackers destroyed Diablo for truly vast numbers of people, it was the best selling game of its time and an enormous amount of fun. Many people found Diablo 2 more of the same, dated looking, and not nearly as replayable as the original. I was among that very considerable number.

An okay sequel does not beat an original.

Blarg
12-12-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i never got StarCraft and it's success. It was just another RTS game. Give me one of the C&C games anyday (preferably Red Alert)

[/ QUOTE ]

It was RTS-lite. And the most advertised game in history several times over.

I agree that I liked C&C better. As well as other games, like Warcraft 2 and Total Annihilation.

Blarg
12-12-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heroes of Might and Magic should be there somewhere.
And Mechwarrior 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Heartily agree. These were GREAT games.

I was a bigger fan of Heroes of Might and Magic(the turn-based strategy game) than the original HOMM though.

Very colorful and fun, endless maps, and a random map generator for pretty much infinite replayability. That was a rare thing in those days and still not all that common today.

Blarg
12-12-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
goldeneye is great if you like [censored] graphics, [censored] controls, and no internet play. why anybody played that boggles my mind. it's like playing quake with mittens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for bringing some needed perspective.

ilya
12-12-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree and I think most people do. Even though hackers destroyed Diablo for truly vast numbers of people, it was the best selling game of its time and an enormous amount of fun. Many people found Diablo 2 more of the same, dated looking, and not nearly as replayable as the original. I was among that very considerable number.

An okay sequel does not beat an original.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wise, Blarg.

Something like THPS vs. THPS2 is much closer. THPS pioneered the formula and basically created a whole new control scheme & gameplay mechanic...but THPS2 vastly increased the depth of the combo system & offered much larger environments. Buut even so I would give the nod to THPS1...successful originality should be weighed more heavily than almost any other factor IMO.

Blarg
12-12-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another vote for separating the two. PC games would have little chance against the much more popular console games, which would be a pity, as 1995-2000 was sort of a golden age for PC gaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

And because PC games have more depth than console games.

ilya
12-12-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying CGIFVII was better?