PDA

View Full Version : Batman Begins II - The Villian?

NobodysFreak
12-11-2005, 04:31 AM
I was watching Batman Begins last night and it struck me about half way through that it seems like Rutger Hauer was being setup as the villian in the next film. My reasoning is as follows:

1) He wasn't a big player in the film, but whenever he was on the screen he was being portrayed as power hungry, self-absorbed, and arrogant

2) His appearance resembled the joker somewhat. They made him excessively pale (even for him) and his hair cut was similar to jack's in the first film.

As to whether he could pull it off, I'm unsure, but I don't think they can just let his character die off like that because although he had a minor role on screen, his character's influence in Bruce's life was big. I'm not sure where I'm going with this now.

Any ideas?

TheBlueMonster
12-11-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2) His appearance resembled the joker somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think they were just "setting up" the first movie.

NobodysFreak
12-11-2005, 04:42 AM
That's what crossed my mind originally, but then my buddy googled it and found out that they were holding casting for the part of the joker. It could just be deception. I haven't read the comics or anything, but with the changed atmostphere of the movies I wouldn't mind them doing another movie with the joker. Anything but another Mr.Freeze.

TheBlueMonster
12-11-2005, 04:48 AM
did you check imdb.com? I think a "remake" of the first move would just be weird.

NobodysFreak
12-11-2005, 04:53 AM
Haven't looked there yet. I don't think a re-make would be all that strange. The atmosphere of the series has definately changed. Its very dark now even compared to the Tim Burton films. I see your point though. I wouldn't mind them brining in new villians.

TheBlueMonster
12-11-2005, 04:56 AM
who would you bring in as the new villians?
No one immediately springs to mind (I'm trying to remember the animated series) but I'm gonna blame that on the 5 shots and 3 beers.....

NobodysFreak
12-11-2005, 05:01 AM
No one immediately comes to mind, but my same friend who googled the info on the casting call found out that the DA was two-face.

Johnnyj580
12-11-2005, 05:33 AM
I've imdb'ed it and my roomate is a huge comic book movie dork. It is going to be a remake of the first one, which is risky.

CheckRaise
12-11-2005, 05:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No one immediately comes to mind, but my same friend who googled the info on the casting call found out that the DA was two-face.

[/ QUOTE ]

We learn that in Batman Forever, there is a short clip showing Two-face as the DA and then some mob boss throws acid on him in court hence his [censored] up face.

fluxrad
12-11-2005, 05:47 AM
I think the sequel stars James Caviezel as Jesus.

dynamite
12-11-2005, 06:00 AM
who was he in the movie?

whiskeytown
12-11-2005, 06:53 AM
depends...

I really thought the first 4 batman movies essentially sucked dogballs anyways...

There is an incredible amount of literature dedicated to Batman's refusal or doubts about killing the Joker - it's not some half hearted - "meh, let's just kill him" - even in The Dark Knights Returns, he stops short, and just breaks his neck, paralyzing him for the rest of his life - (the Joker managed to twist what was left and break his own spine...)

There is another great story where the Joker nearly kills Batman, who is presumed drowned and vanished - the Joker actually gets some flesh colored makeup and tries to rejoin regular society and meets a nice girl and everything - his psychosis was triggered in part BY Batman.

in fact, part of the only reason Batman really functions in Gothom is that he isn't an out and out murderer - kill one guy and suddenly your helpful vigilante becomes a nightmare and a police problem. And the playoff between him and Joker are generally the best stories in the canon.

So anything that can remake that hideous reject of a first Batman/Joker confrontation, esp. with the new focus on the character, not the comic book, is a-ok to me.

Jesus, it's 2am in Vegas - why the hell am I wasting my time on you bums....LOL - Later

RB

eviljeff
12-11-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is an incredible amount of literature dedicated to Batman's refusal or doubts about killing the Joker

[/ QUOTE ]

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker details the death of Joker. of course, he returns in a somewhat novel manner.

samjjones
12-11-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that the next two movies will have the Joker and Two-Face as the villains, in whichever order. Personally, I'd prefer the non-supervillain route, and have Batman take down the mob or something.

ononimo
12-11-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I'd prefer the non-supervillain route, and have Batman take down the mob or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

then why bother having a super-hero? why not just call in the guys from Law & Order?

IronDragon1
12-11-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Black Mask (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mask_%28comics%29)

samjjones
12-11-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I'd prefer the non-supervillain route, and have Batman take down the mob or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

then why bother having a super-hero? why not just call in the guys from Law & Order?

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously, you haven't read "Batman Year One".

surfinillini
12-11-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its very dark now even compared to the Tim Burton films.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??? Isn't Tim Burton known for making "dark" movies?

12-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Tim Burton makes dark movies yes, but Begins was darker than the original Batman and very true to the comic.

surfinillini
12-11-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tim Burton makes dark movies yes, but Begins was darker than the original Batman and very true to the comic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I could see that the Burton one had a lot of comedy, I mean the joker was a big satire of villains right?

Now was "Begins" true to the comic as far as his East Asian roots are concerned or was that embellished? That by far was the most interesting part of the movie.

samjjones
12-11-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I could see that the Burton one had a lot of comedy, I mean the joker was a big satire of villains right?

Now was "Begins" true to the comic as far as his East Asian roots are concerned or was that embellished? That by far was the most interesting part of the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it is pretty accurate, although interestingly, the comics never spent a lot of time on Bruce Wayne's life before he became Batman. But I'm 99% certain its canon that he trained in martial arts in the Far East.

Jeebus
12-11-2005, 02:33 PM
I really like the first one, thought the play between batman and the joker was cool. But then I haven't read any of the comics or anything. Plus Michael Keaton is batman.

I did figure they would have to remake the first one after begins made the joker not kill batman's parents. I was hoping to hear the "Have you ever danced with the Devil by the pale moon light."

NobodysFreak
12-11-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've imdb'ed it and my roomate is a huge comic book movie dork. It is going to be a remake of the first one, which is risky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any idea as to who is going to play the joker?

diebitter
12-11-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any idea as to who is going to play the joker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it's gonna be the guy that played the nemesis who fancied Drew Barrymore in the Charlie's Angels films (I think the character was called Thin Man - hmmmm). He was also Michael J. Fox's dad in Back to the Future. Considering his performance in Charlies Angels, I say he'd make a pretty good joker in the right director's hands.

surfinillini
12-11-2005, 03:30 PM
crispin glover?

really ???

diebitter
12-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Yeah! That's him! I was too lazy to IMDB.

Good choice, huh?

surfinillini
12-11-2005, 03:31 PM
well, he was a great George McFly...don't know about the joker though, we'll see

ClaytonN
12-11-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker details the death of Joker. of course, he returns in a somewhat novel manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie was great until you realize how Joker came back to life. So, soooo lame.

ThinkQuick
12-11-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it is pretty accurate, although interestingly, the comics never spent a lot of time on Bruce Wayne's life before he became Batman. But I'm 99% certain its canon that he trained in martial arts in the Far East.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Batman Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman)
[ QUOTE ]

At age 14, Bruce Wayne began his global sojourn, attending courses at Cambridge, the Sorbonne, and other European universities. Beyond academia, Bruce acquired more "practical" skills. While abroad, Bruce learned all 127 major styles of combat, from Aikido to Yaw-Yan. Frenchman Henri Ducard made him an apprentice in manhunting. The ninja Kirigi schooled Bruce in stealth and the ways of the shadow warrior. African Bushmen taught hunting techniques, while Nepalese monks revealed healing arts. (In the film Batman Begins, he conducted his studies at Princeton University in New Jersey as a young adult, and learns jujitsu, ninjitsu, and multiple forms of kung-fu from Henri Ducard, who is depicted as secretly being Ra's al Ghul.)

surfinillini
12-11-2005, 03:35 PM
nice, thanks for the info

Johnnyj580
12-11-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
depends...

I really thought the 3rd and 4th batman movies essentially sucked dogballs anyways...

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

jester710
12-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Crispin Glover was mentioned early on as being in the running, as was Mark Hamill, but they're not anymore. Apparently it's between Paul Bettany (the British guy from Beautiful Mind, Wimbledon, etc.) and Lachy Hulme (he's an Australian who was in Matrix: Revolutions and, um...Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course).

Sam Rockwell is also apparently campaigning hard to be considered for the role.

eviljeff
12-11-2005, 05:35 PM
god I hope they don't call it Batman Begins II

diebitter
12-11-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
god I hope they don't call it Batman Begins II

[/ QUOTE ]

Batman middles?
Batman Continues?

meh.

I reckon it'll be Batman Un<something>

Unleashed
Unbound

12-11-2005, 06:30 PM
The two names they are thinking about using right now are Batman Srtikes and Batman Attacks.

NobodysFreak
12-11-2005, 06:43 PM
I think the simple title Batman would do if those are the two choices they're tossing around.