PDA

View Full Version : Openly Gay Big Names in Poker??

cognito20
12-11-2005, 03:52 AM
Not sure if NVG is the appropriate thread for this, but since it has tangential poker content I didn't figure it belonged in OOT.

Hi everyone:

My wife and I were talking tonight, and she came up with a question for me (she's not really a poker player, but watches the big TV tournaments and knows most of the big names) that I had no idea of the answer to, and I figured that I'd throw it out to all of you. Are there any big time poker pros you know of out there that have come out of the closet and are openly gay and/or bisexual (male or female)? And if not, what do you think the attitude of most of the poker "community" would be towards one of the "big names" coming out? Would it be a positive, live-and-let-live type of reaction, or do you think it would be negative, like, say, if an NFL superstar came out? I'm curious to know people's thoughts on this.

--Scott

Notorious G.O.B.
12-11-2005, 04:24 AM
I don't know, Mel Judah used to be a hairdresser, though.

augie00
12-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Scotty Nguyen.

NLSoldier
12-11-2005, 05:56 AM
Schneids

henrikrh
12-11-2005, 06:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Scotty Nguyen.

[/ QUOTE ]

DIE!, baby.

tonypaladino
12-11-2005, 06:33 AM
Varkonyi's wife looks like she might be a beard.

The Dude
12-11-2005, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Schneids

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought you said you were over that hope!?!?!

TomCollins
12-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Theres a certain female player that might be pretty obivious. I won't name names, but I'm sure the rest of you can figure it out.

JihadOnTheRiver
12-11-2005, 01:41 PM
BigSteve is world wide

DangerGoodson
12-11-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Schneids

[/ QUOTE ]

DesertCat
12-11-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw him take a hooker to "dinner" at the Bellagio once, so I'm betting he's straight.

henrikrh
12-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Friedman and Andrew Black from the WSOP episodes seem like they might be playing for the other team. But you said big names.

KSOT
12-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Few names that come to mind are Kathy Liebert and Daniel Negreanu.

surfinillini
12-11-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't know who Friedman is? Do you mean Prahlad?

Negreanu (sp?) is married and bangs some hot asian broad

Black did seem a little queer but he's a buddhist and spent time in a monastary so I'm sure he is just basically asexual.

One that always struck me as gay, especially in his mannerisms was Layne Flack.

betgo
12-11-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw him take a hooker to "dinner" at the Bellagio once, so I'm betting he's straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't come across gay, but he was a top hairdresser, and I thoght they all were.

I don't if there are any openly gay well known players, but there are rumored to be gay players.

b33nz
12-11-2005, 03:29 PM
skipperbob, anyone?

betgo
12-11-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know who Friedman is? Do you mean Prahlad?

Negreanu (sp?) is married and bangs some hot asian broad

Black did seem a little queer but he's a buddhist and spent time in a monastary so I'm sure he is just basically asexual.

One that always struck me as gay, especially in his mannerisms was Layne Flack.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Freidman who was crying when his king high flush got beaten.

Cancuk
12-11-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Theres a certain female player that might be pretty obivious. I won't name names, but I'm sure the rest of you can figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

why wouldn't you name names? This is a gossip forum not highschool.

Is this player going to get mad at you, and if thats so, why would you post it in the first place?

IhadPocketMes
12-11-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why wouldn't you name names? This is a gossip forum not highschool.

Is this player going to get mad at you, and if thats so, why would you post it in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kathy Liebert more than likely

surfinillini
12-11-2005, 04:34 PM
after further review I have noticed this thread sucks

send_the_msg
12-11-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Liebert!

lighterjobs
12-11-2005, 05:52 PM
http://www.headsuppokerchampions.com/PIC%20PHIL%20HELLMUTH.jpg

henrikrh
12-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Pretty sure Brunson is deeeep in the closet. I'll leave you to guess which one.

hint: he's old.

FrankStallone
12-11-2005, 07:06 PM
I may or may not have seen Ms. Liebert with a female softball player with a crew cut.

12-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Sir, that's f-ing blasphemy. I hope you get banned for that B.S. Doyle is God.

Luv2DriveTT
12-11-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you have been watching too much TV. Doyle is assumed to be a crook, we just have to wait for the SEC to verify it. The guy does not have a halo around his head.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Alex/Mugaaz
12-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Kurosh

12-11-2005, 09:39 PM
no, but he has ten bracelets around his wrist and has been playing at the highest level longer than most of us have been around. When anyone here has accomplished as much in their life poker-wise as he has, then they can call him a closet [censored].

Brock Landers
12-11-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Few names that come to mind are Kathy Liebert and Daniel Negreanu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Negreanu is not gay, he's Canadian.

MicroBob
12-11-2005, 10:40 PM
is there a difference?

MFCMark
12-11-2005, 10:47 PM
A few people are openly gay, I don't think anyone is openly Canadian

betgo
12-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Poker is still too macho for anyone to be openly gay. There aren't many openly gay players in professional team sports or openly gay policeman.

utmt40
12-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Tiffany Williamson

Vincent Lepore
12-12-2005, 12:57 AM
I'm openly Grey...does that count? Oh' sorry I thought you said big....s, you said big names, excuse me I be wrong on both counts.

Vince

UATrewqaz
12-12-2005, 03:54 AM
Joe Stillman

oh and when Kathy Liebert walks down the street in Holland people stop, point, and yell "Gosh dang, that's a big ole dyke"

Only they yell it in Dutch obviously.

Boris
12-12-2005, 04:00 AM
I don't think anyone would give a rat's ass, unless the gay dude dished out some sick bad beats. It seems to me that in poker, as long as you have money to play nobody cares what you are.

Oblivious
12-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Layne Flack isnt nearly classy enough to be gay.

I'd say Allen Cunningham is the odds on favorite.

surfinillini
12-12-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm openly Grey...does that count? Oh' sorry I thought you said big....s, you said big names, excuse me I be wrong on both counts.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

jovial yes, jewish yes, but gay no.

He is married to a woman with HUGE knockers...I'm met them both at bellagio, nice guy.

D.H.
12-12-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.gaytunes.com/images/god1b.jpg

bernie
12-12-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone would give a rat's ass, unless the gay dude dished out some sick bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would this be an exception?

b

rusellmj
12-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Someone in SS is mentioned as having a long time companion or something to that effect. Suprised no one has mentioned it yet.

12-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Isn't Liebert married to Tom McEvoy?

mostsmooth
12-12-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He is married to a woman with HUGE knockers...I'm met them both

[/ QUOTE ]
it would be hard to meet one without bumping into the other, no?

mostsmooth
12-12-2005, 01:11 PM
btw, for some reason im thinking john juanda is married, but i wouldnt be surprised

MelchyBeau
12-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Juanda is married to a hot chick

12-12-2005, 02:18 PM
I like how you start the question off with "My wife and I" and "she came up with the question. I think we know what sigmond would say about this.

jakethebake
12-12-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like how you start the question off with "My wife and I" and "she came up with the question. I think we know what sigmond would say about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

He just wanted to make sure everyone knew his wife was the bigot, not him. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bocablkr
12-12-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He is married to a woman with HUGE knockers...I'm met them both at bellagio, nice guy.

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mostsmooth
12-12-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
stop stealing my material

mostsmooth
12-12-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Juanda is married to a hot chick

[/ QUOTE ]
as i suspected
but i still wouldnt be surprised

12-12-2005, 06:34 PM
This is retarded, all poker players seem a little "gay acting." Helmuth gay tendencies is married. Phil Laak seems like a complete [censored] and he's dating Jennifer Tilly. You can't take how someone acts or appears and say they are gay. Hell Johnny Chan wears weird ass fruity dress shirts and no one brings him up. I think everyone looks a little gay playing poker!

Ulysses
12-12-2005, 06:52 PM
http://zeejustin.com/img/justin-bonomo-photo.jpg

highlife
12-12-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.

BluffTHIS!
12-12-2005, 07:47 PM
And you asked me in a thread a while back why I was so mean. BTW, this begs the question of how you would know.

Smackdab
12-12-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but............

While I know Jennifer Harmon has a daughter. It sure seemed to be in viewing the segment during the WSOP on her diet, that her "friend" who prepared her meals and she seemed overly chummy. Not too mention that the "friend" was over early in the AM preparing and packing for Jen.

I'm thinking while Jen used to play for our team she she went the way of free agency after being [censored] over.

Actually surprised this hasn't come up before.

12-12-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

While I know Jennifer Harmon has a daughter. It sure seemed to be in viewing the segment during the WSOP on her diet, that her "friend" who prepared her meals and she seemed overly chummy. Not too mention that the "friend" was over early in the AM preparing and packing for Jen.

I'm thinking while Jen used to play for our team she she went the way of free agency after being [censored] over.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking about Cyndy Violette.

Smackdab
12-12-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your correct.....my bad.
Well I got the name wrong (apologoes Jen) could be wrong about the rest.

BluffTHIS!
12-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Hell, if you're gonna slander people here, what's the diff if you get some of the names wrong?

DarthIgnurnt
12-12-2005, 10:44 PM
???? (http://images.google.com/images?q=jordan+berkowitz&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&c2cof f=1&safe=off&start=0&sa=N&filter=0)

12-12-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your correct.....my bad.
Well I got the name wrong (apologoes Jen) could be wrong about the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

and that person making meals in the morning IS her daughter

TobDog
12-13-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He is married to a woman with HUGE knockers...I'm met them both at bellagio

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone else find this mildly funny?

bwana devil
12-13-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hell, if you're gonna slander people here, what's the diff if you get some of the names wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's "libel." everyone does everyone always says slander on 2+2. why?

slander = spoken

can we make this a sticky?

bwana

PJS
12-13-2005, 02:10 AM
Paul Phillips

scotty34
12-13-2005, 03:06 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/OOTtub.jpg

A_Junglen
12-13-2005, 03:12 AM
Allen Cunningham

mostsmooth
12-13-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's "libel." everyone does everyone always says slander on 2+2. why?

slander = spoken

can we make this a sticky?

bwana

[/ QUOTE ]
everyone does everyone always says slander on 2+2? nice
we should make this some type of sticky too

krazyace5
12-13-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And if not, what do you think the attitude of most of the poker "community" would be towards one of the "big names" coming out? Would it be a positive, live-and-let-live type of reaction, or do you think it would be negative, like, say, if an NFL superstar came out? I'm curious to know people's thoughts on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would poker players care who they played against as long as they are getting the best of it?

12-13-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
???? (http://images.google.com/images?q=jordan+berkowitz&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&c2cof f=1&safe=off&start=0&sa=N&filter=0)

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Ulysses
12-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Bluff,

I was not being mean, just answering the thread. I know because ZJ is a friend of mine. Here is an IM log:

d: yo zj
zj: what's up diablo?
d: congrats on the tourney win!
zj: thanks man
zj: diablo, you are a great man
zj: someday i hope to be like you
d: so what are you doing to celebrate?
zj: i am going to eat some protein
zj: flex naked in the mirror
zj: then try to pick up some hot guys
d: gl man
zj: i look really good naked now so i am sure
zj: i will get some really hot guys
zj: did i tell you that guy BDids came to visit?
zj: i hooked up with him, he is a really big guy!
zj: LOL
zj: do you know how many calories in tuna?
zj: i am thinking of having some tuna to celebrate my win
d: that is pretty lean protein, z
zj: did u see my awesome website updates?
d: not yet
zj: oh btw, i think i will get into magic hall of fame
zj: for being such a top young player
zj: anyway, hold up, flexing
zj: ok
zj: diablo, did i mention how awesome you are?
d: yes, thanks z
zj: late

KaneKungFu123
12-13-2005, 03:00 PM
/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif
http://www.zeejustin.com/gallery/123.jpg

12-13-2005, 04:12 PM
DN is gay.

BluffTHIS!
12-13-2005, 04:52 PM
El D,

Thanks for clearing things up. It is obvious now why ZJ is so concerned about "living long enough to live forever". Also, I hope you didn't throw up at the combo of ZJ's gayness and massive ego, and have to go out and buy a new keyboard. Cause that sure would be a sorry waste of a small blind.

usmfan
12-13-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bluff,

I was not being mean, just answering the thread. I know because ZJ is a friend of mine. Here is an IM log:

d: yo zj
zj: what's up diablo?
d: congrats on the tourney win!
zj: thanks man
zj: diablo, you are a great man
zj: someday i hope to be like you
d: so what are you doing to celebrate?
zj: i am going to eat some protein
zj: flex naked in the mirror
zj: then try to pick up some hot guys
d: gl man
zj: i look really good naked now so i am sure
zj: i will get some really hot guys
zj: did i tell you that guy BDids came to visit?
zj: i hooked up with him, he is a really big guy!
zj: LOL
zj: do you know how many calories in tuna?
zj: i am thinking of having some tuna to celebrate my win
d: that is pretty lean protein, z
zj: did u see my awesome website updates?
d: not yet
zj: oh btw, i think i will get into magic hall of fame
zj: for being such a top young player
zj: anyway, hold up, flexing
zj: ok
zj: diablo, did i mention how awesome you are?
d: yes, thanks z
zj: late

[/ QUOTE ]

ZJ,

You have been SERVED!!!

B Dids
12-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Hey now.

12-13-2005, 09:13 PM
http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/pictures/DougLee2.jpg

12-13-2005, 09:15 PM
http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/pictures/Aaron%20Kanter_small.jpg

so deep in the closet he's finding christmas presents

InchoateHand
12-13-2005, 10:34 PM
I love how people consider questioning someone's sexuality "slander," particularly funny on a message board. How the [censored] do you slander someone on the internet? Skype?

sternroolz
12-14-2005, 01:37 AM
Liebert used to date McEvoy. I have no idea if she is gay or straight but, looks notwhithstanding, since she dated a guy my guess is that she is straight.

As to Allen Cuningham, I think there was reference to a gf in the interview in the Card Player issue where he was on the cover.

12-14-2005, 03:26 AM
I actually thought this was a joke thread at first, but reading more it seems people are serious. This is pointless, all poker players seem gay. They try to act tough about playing cards. Someone said poker has a macho image...right, about as macho as curling. I'm really afraid of a guy in a sport where you can play and be 600 pounds. Plus the game consists of guys looking at guys and saying they are all in. Give this up and don't be so judgemental about peoples looks or actions to assume they are gay. Almost everyone guessed so far has been discovered to have a significant other of the opposite sex.

Daliman
12-14-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guessing yer thinking Liebert, which looks obvious, but she is at least a switch-hitter then, as she used to date Tom McEvoy.

Daliman
12-14-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We said BIG names, not sng grinders.....

mostsmooth
12-14-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Liebert used to date McEvoy.

[/ QUOTE ]
this would make us have to wonder if mcevoy is gay, no?

betgo
12-14-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Liebert used to date McEvoy. I have no idea if she is gay or straight but, looks notwhithstanding, since she dated a guy my guess is that she is straight.

As to Allen Cuningham, I think there was reference to a gf in the interview in the Card Player issue where he was on the cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that someone is married or has a gf or bf doesn't necessarily prove anything. They could be doing it for cover, be bi, or get married to have a family. Or some of these people may just seem gay and not be.

Since there are no openly gay poker players, it stands to reason there are covertly gay players.

12-14-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if NVG is the appropriate thread for this, but since it has tangential poker content I didn't figure it belonged in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't have any content, and is not appropriate for any forum.

Threads like this are the reason "big name" poker players don't post here, or have been driven away.

betgo
12-14-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't have any content, and is not appropriate for any forum.

Threads like this are the reason "big name" poker players don't post here, or have been driven away.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems reasonable for a gossip thread.

Some big name players posted in WPT and had to deal with all sorts of moron TV poker fans. Also, a lot of people really like annoying "celebrities" and would be obnoxious, as well as speculating on the sexuality and personal life of the big name poster, posting sexual stuff about well known female posters etc.

I think this thread is pretty tame by comparision.

12-22-2005, 11:33 AM
I first thought DN was gay... but then I found out that he was a Christian. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes. Especially since a lot of gay guys will become very religious to suppress their homosexuality. See Catholic Priests for details. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cognito20
12-22-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He just wanted to make sure everyone knew his wife was the bigot, not him. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you certainly don't make hasty assumptions, do you? I was asking because we were genuinely curious as to whether any well-known poker players have come out. I hadn't heard of any, and I wondered if anyone in this forum had. How does acknowledging the existence of gay people and wondering whom they might be in the poker world, and posing a followup as to whether this (theoretical??) well-known gay player would take any s**t from the poker world at large, make me a bigot? Hmmmm? Well, come on, I'm waiting for your well-thought-out, logical answer. Oh, you don't have one? That's what I thought. I run a bookstore in Ithaca, New York, a city which probably is among the top 10 or 15 in the country in percentage of the population who identify as gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered, so it would be a bit of an impediment to me, professionally and personally, if I had the problem with gay people you seem to read me for, or any problem with them at all for that matter. If your reads are this dead-on at a poker table, PLEASE let me know where you play so that I can show up and begin the cash extraction ASAP.

Now, if I had said, "My wife and I were sitting around wondering whether any f***ing gay homosexual Hanes-grazing f*gs dare show their faces at a poker table", or something along those lines, you might have a case. But I didn't. And you don't. I'll tell you what I tell anyone who makes personal comments concerning my attitudes and way of thinking...if you don't know me well enough to know the names of, say, one or two of my nephews and nieces, you don't know me well enough to make those sorts of comments and have anyone take you seriously.

Idiot.

--Scott

Quicksilvre
12-23-2005, 12:05 AM
He might be refering to that vegetarian cook that cooked for Violette and a few other pros during the WSOP (I forget the name). Maybe she just makes really good grub, I dunno.

DrunkIrish05
12-25-2005, 05:12 AM
no amarillo slim mentions in this thread? or was that a little girl?

betgo
12-25-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no amarillo slim mentions in this thread? or was that a little girl?

[/ QUOTE ]
It was a 12-year-old girl. Being gay is one thing he hasn't been accused of.

12-25-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is retarded, all poker players seem a little "gay acting." Helmuth gay tendencies is married. Phil Laak seems like a complete [censored] and he's dating Jennifer Tilly. You can't take how someone acts or appears and say they are gay. Hell Johnny Chan wears weird ass fruity dress shirts and no one brings him up. I think everyone looks a little gay playing poker!

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, in both cases, I think you are confusing acting like a jack ass with acting gay. In both cases, neither of these guys seems to be gay.