PDA

View Full Version : Trip report: Ruth's Christ Steakhouse (meh!)

jnalpak
12-11-2005, 03:42 AM
YES, i went to RCS....For those that want to know what "ok" steak is keep reading. For those that know how bad this is please utilize the quick reply ala El D and flame away.

Event: Brothers B-Day
Party: 5
Time: 8:30PM Saturday

What was ordered
Booze:
2 bottles of Clos Du Val Pinot Noir

Appetizers:
-Shrimp Cocktail (kind of wet, not very snappy but not crappy)
-Ceaser Salad (got sent back, it was nasty...how do you mess up such a signature dish!)
-lollipop lambchops with a cajun rub - these were excellent as this is the only meat i love well done. Except there was no cajun rub.
-Calamari this was not my choice and i have no clue WTF it was doing on the menu. I could eat this for break/lunch/dinner so i wasnt complaining but i did make a comment to my bro /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dinner:

Bro: Filet - looked good but tasted no good
Wifey: Lobster Tail - yeah, it was a lobster from the only midget in the tank...the thing was like a mous bous. BAD
Mother: VealChop - WOW, this was amazing...I'm a huge VealChop guy but i got annoyed b/c this is a steak joint. Why is the best food on the menu veal? Veal is just a baby steak right?
Father and I: Steak for two (in light butter) It was served med/rare and it was good for like 2 pieces and then the butter got me all grossed out so i stole the veal chop from the mother who was into her 3rd apple martini

Sides:
-Mash Potatoes
-Cottage Fries (EXCELLENT)
-Creamed Spinach (Pretty good)

Desert:
NO GOOD

Waitstaff:
This is the only reason why i would go back here. Our guy was knowledgable and fun and although he didnt have that old-guard-steak-guy attitude i felt he was dedicated and enjoyed what he did. When the ceaser was returned, the "host" came by to talk and stuck around for a drink...on them.

Overall (out of 5):
I came into this place thinking the worst but leaving with a full stomach and an enjoyable experience. If i lived in a hole for 10 years and never experienced a true NY chopshop then i would say this was good, but i have so...
I rate this a 2 for food/quality and a 5 for service.
I kept thinking i was in the New Jersey of steak joints.

Luv2DriveTT
12-11-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I kept thinking i was in the New Jersey of steak joints.

[/ QUOTE ]

excelent.

TT

Warik
12-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Ruth's Chris is teh pwn. Can't wait to eat there again. I give it a 4/5 for food and service.... since I never give a 5/5 to anything.

IggyWH
12-11-2005, 12:17 PM
I've never ate there and I have one just a couple miles away, but I really don't think it's for me. I love steak, but I love well done steak.

I've come to the conclusion to get a good well done steak, it can't be a thick steak. You're just going to burn the outside trying to cook the whole thing. When I make myself steaks, I just buy thin steaks. I'm sure RCS doesn't sell thin steaks. If I want seafood, I can find somewhere better than RCS.

swede123
12-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Heathen.

Swede

samjjones
12-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Which location was this?

12-11-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heathen.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done RCS 7-8 times. I'd gve the steak a good 3.5-4, but its the service that makes it great. Gotta give the servers a 5

bugstud
12-11-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Heathen.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done RCS 7-8 times. I'd gve the steak a good 3.5-4, but its the service that makes it great. Gotta give the servers a 5

[/ QUOTE ]

so go to a place that'll give you both? I mean, seriously people.

swede123
12-11-2005, 01:30 PM
My heathen comment was in response to Iggy who likes his well done. You might as well have a hamburger if you're going to over cook it like that.

As far as Ruth's Chris, I've been there a handful times and I've always been quite satisfied. My average score would be 4.5/5 for the food and service. Then again, my steakhouse experience has mostly been limited to chain-type places.

Swede

Luv2DriveTT
12-11-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ruth's Chris is teh pwn. Can't wait to eat there again. I give it a 4/5 for food and service.... since I never give a 5/5 to anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 2 words for you. New York City.

ok, make it three.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Bigdaddydvo
12-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Clearly, OOT's excessively high and unrealistic standards and expectations for women have recently been applied to the steak world.

Ruth's Chris Cowboy Ribeye Medium is the best steak on the planet.

bugstud
12-11-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly, OOT's excessively high and unrealistic standards and expectations for women have recently been applied to the steak world.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

please don't tell me you just said that

IggyWH
12-11-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My heathen comment was in response to Iggy who likes his well done. You might as well have a hamburger if you're going to over cook it like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, there's a big difference from well done and over cook. I do notice that most people don't know this difference, therefore, can't cook them in difference.

When I make a well done steak, it is not only cooked all the way, it is also very juicy. Many people think well done means dry, it most certainly doesn't as long as you know how to cook.

I like my pussy pink and my meat brown, not the other way around.

istewart
12-11-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GTFO

bugstud
12-11-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See, there's a big difference from well done and over cook. I do notice that most people don't know this difference, therefore, can't cook them in difference.

When I make a well done steak, it is not only cooked all the way, it is also very juicy. Many people think well done means dry, it most certainly doesn't as long as you know how to cook.

I like my pussy pink and my meat brown, not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I agree with this statement 100%

renodoc
12-11-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What was ordered
Booze:

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, Why are you ordering such a wimpy wine when you are going to chow down on some serious flesh?

RCS is usualy decent and it sounds like you hit an off night. Other steakhouses pwn it though.

lighterjobs
12-11-2005, 03:27 PM
i've eaten there before and it was pretty good. i thought it was going to be ridiculously good the way everyone hypes it up, and i wasn't disappointed. the only bad thing is that we were in there kind of late at night and the steak was a little cold. besides that, it was great. this was the one in las vegas and the night before i ate at lawry's prime rib restaurant and, imo, it blew ruth's chris away.

Cancuk
12-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Where does this "Ruth's Christ Steakhouse" reside?

The best steaks(s) i've ever had have been in numerous chop houses that I can't remember the name of in Chicago. I remember Harry Carry's Chop House to be surprisingly good, but it's not the ones i'm thinking of.

Harv72b
12-11-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where does this "Ruth's Christ Steakhouse" reside?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a chain. All over the world. I've never eaten there but in a fit of remarkable coincidence just bought my parents a gift certificate for it today.

Best steakhouse I ever found was outside Barstow, CA, up in the hills. It was adjacent to a ranch, peanut shells and sawdust all over the floors, metal folding tables/chairs with plastic picnic-style tablecloths, and the owner/operator/waiter was drunk 24/7.

The only things on the menu that didn't have beef in them were the beverages, and I'm not too sure about those now that I think about it.

EDIT: ahh, gotcha. Dunno about Ruth's Christ, I was thinking about Ruth's Chris.

12-11-2005, 03:40 PM
What other item's are on the menu such as chicken and stuff?

renodoc
12-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Chicago must be near the top for steakhouses.

My top three would be:

Gibsons
Mortons
Gene and georgetti

Gibsons is all time.

fluxrad
12-11-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best steakhouse I ever found was outside Barstow, CA, up in the hills. It was adjacent to a ranch, peanut shells and sawdust all over the floors, metal folding tables/chairs with plastic picnic-style tablecloths, and the owner/operator/waiter was drunk 24/7.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. The best steak you will find in any city will not be at the local "famous" steak house, but rather in some pissant shanty off the beaten track. It will not be served in butter or in a smattering of blood from a three hundred year old puerto-rican duck. It will be served plain, with french fries or mashed potatoes.

Luv2DriveTT
12-11-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. The best steak you will find in any city will not be at the local "famous" steak house, but rather in some pissant shanty off the beaten track. It will not be served in butter or in a smattering of blood from a three hundred year old puerto-rican duck. It will be served plain, with french fries or mashed potatoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread needs more
http://photos6.flickr.com/7068430_510102377b_m.jpg

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

jnalpak
12-11-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gene and georgetti

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! This place blew me away, i ate there twice in a week stay! It's up there in my top 5 all time steak joints.

jnalpak
12-11-2005, 04:15 PM
http://www.peterluger.com/sauce-lg.jpg

jnalpak
12-11-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What was ordered
Booze:

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, Why are you ordering such a wimpy wine when you are going to chow down on some serious flesh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't really planning on eating too much and thought the pinot worked well with light consumption of meat.

I usually like the cab for the meat dwelling!
Anyone have a good recommendation for Cabernet?

Cancuk
12-11-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gene and georgetti

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the one.

Mortons is also unreal, but they have them everywhere, including here in vancouver.