PDA

View Full Version : Moses (Custer) Hand#3 A9o UTG 6-handed with 10.5xbb

ilya
12-11-2005, 03:24 AM
I presume the raise (vs. push) preflop is designed to leave Hero with enough chips to make a sizeable bet if on the flop or later if called, creating two FE spots instead of just the one for the push. SB, Button, and CO probably don't play any looser against this raise than they would against a push, but what worries me is that the guy in the BB, the one most likely to call anyway, is a big stack. It would suck pretty bad to have the BB call and lead out on the flop into us.
The other thing is that it's hard to make a cont. bet on the flop without getting completely committed to the huge pot...I am guessing that Hero, at the risk of giving BB a free card, wanted to represent a monster that was trying to induce a turn bluff by checking behind on the flop...but the pot's so big on the turn after SB bets out that if he has any piece, he probably has to call. Plus checking behind on the flop doesn't really paint the most credible picture of a strong hand IMO...the pot is so big that it seems like Hero would just want to take it down if he had the best hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

CO (t1340)
Button (t580)
SB (t800)
BB (t3375)
Hero (t2105)
MP (t1800)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero raises to t700</font>, 4 folds</font>, BB calls t500.

Flop: (t1500) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t1500) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 players)</font>
BB bets t700</font>, Hero raises all-in.

curtains
12-11-2005, 04:06 AM
I raise here preflop 0% of the time. The turn allin looks bad since its only 700 more chips to call.

bigt439
12-11-2005, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I raise here preflop 0% of the time. The turn allin looks bad since its only 700 more chips to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think someone's going to have to start posting some really good hands by this guy because he's losing credibility rapidly.

curtains
12-11-2005, 04:56 AM
The whole point of this is that those who look at your HHs post the "most questionable" hands. Anyone that takes a sample size of hundreds of hands, and has only their worst shown, will look bad.

bigt439
12-11-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The whole point of this is that those who look at your HHs post the "most questionable" hands. Anyone that takes a sample size of hundreds of hands, and has only their worst shown, will look bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. My point was we have no idea if the guy playing these hands is any good so trying to learn from his hand histories might not make sense, but if good discussion is generated then it shouldn't matter. You're right though.

Custer
12-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Thanks for posting this hand, Ilya. After playing it, I shook my head for a few seconds becuase I felt I had really screwed up somewhere but wasn't sure where. Thinking about it again now, I agree with Curtains, the hand should have hit the muck PF. Why did I check the flop? I don't know. I didn't have anything and I don't generally like the idea of commiting a stack that still has reasonable FE with such a weak hand. If I was going to make the play I did on the turn, should I have just pushed on the flop? Absolutely. But by the time it was my turn to act on the turn, however, it was too late to go back and push on the flop /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Why did I put my chips in then? Because his bet looked weak to me, and I had AT LEAST 4 outs and as many as 10 even if I was beat. The turn is the only street I would play the same way again. PF and the flop was bad, IMO.

To anyone who questions how well I play and whether or not their time is well spent reading about these hands:

1st, I started doing this not to try to teach people how to play, but for selfish reasons. I've been VERY, VERY busy lately with sportsbetting and poker, often putting in 16 hour days after 16 hour day. And I've always felt that if I wasn't continueing to improve as a poker player and gambler, some would move farther ahead and some would catch up. And I'd win less money. So when I read about the idea to have others go through my HHs and pull interesting hands for me to look at, it seemed made for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I could tell you how long I've been playing poker, how much I've won, tell you my win rate in SNGs, but what difference would it make? I could tell you anything. So as long as people are willing to go through my HHs and post/email me hands, I will send them HHs. How well do I play? I don't really know. I know what my ROI is, but I don't know what a "good" player's ROI is supposed to be. I make mistakes all the time. Mistakes from playing 10 games at a time, mistakes because I'm not always sure what the best course of action is. So I know I can play better, win more money if I find a way to cut out some of these mistakes.

Will you learn from my HH's? Absolutely. I have and will continue to post all of my thoughts on any of my hands posted as well as my thoughts on Curtains' hands (if they add to the discussion). If you email me hands, I will reply with my thoughts and answer any questions you have. I do some things that many of you don't seem to agree with. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but you will certainly get a new way of looking at a decision and can then decide for yourself.

Diatribe over.

moses

Custer
12-11-2005, 06:47 AM
One more thing:

If anyone else would like some HHs, pm me. All I ask is that you present some hands every now and then.

moses