PDA

View Full Version : 5 card stud

Gahnia radula
07-15-2003, 11:05 PM
anyone here play 5 card stud

if so what starting requirments do you have, also any general stratergy tips would be helpful

Al Mirpuri
07-17-2003, 07:07 AM
Opening theory is contentious! My contention follows. Starter cards: play any Ace, any Pair. Shorthanded: if you can beat what you can see then play.

Later streets:If you are beaten in sight then fold. If you are high board, bet.

The river card: If you are first to act as high board and your strength is exposed then check, eg, such a hand as [2]A7JT. Otherwise, the only calls you will get will have you beat. If you check then you will induce bluffs. At limit poker, if you check then you have to call. This means you will sometimes pay off your opponents. At big bet poker, a fixed strategy of checking and calling becomes too expensive. Here with such a hand you have to judge your opponent(s).

General Principle: respect hands giving you action that could be better than yours. If you do not have a pair this means any hand giving you action. If you have a pair this means any hand giving you action that could possibly have a higher pair.

This is much more to Five Card Stud than this. However, this is enough for you to be getting on with.

Al Mirpuri
07-17-2003, 07:09 AM
If any of this has been of any use then click on my name and give me a five star rating!!!