PDA

View Full Version : Party NLHE 50+5: A8s into large field dilemma

Jamie Collins
07-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Single table tourny. Buy-in receives T800. I have T680. Blinds are at 1st level 10-15.

4 Limpers to me. I raise to 30. Not really for value though it certainly is - but mainly to prevent a raise behind me. People raise big with crap hands all the time on Party with a lot of limpers in an attempt to buy the pot. I believe even a small preflop raise can be enough of a deterrent to thwart that action. I'm not calling a big raise and I'd really like to see the flop relatively cheaply.

Thoughts?

Next drops everyone else calls. 9 handed to the flop.

Flop: Ac 6c 2h.

Your move.

Now assume rightly or wrongly you check, Button bets 175, UTG+3 calls.

Your move.

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Regards,
Jamie

Jon Matthews
07-16-2003, 07:59 AM
Just limping with A8s with blinds at this level is fine but you've got to remember you're looking for a flush, two pair... hands like that. If you make just a pair of aces you could be in for kicker trouble.

You don't specify your suit but you didn't make a 4 flush this time on the flop so checking is fine and when someone is overbetting the pot on the flop they are protecting their hand from draws, probably with a strong ace or 2 pair so here is an easy fold. You may get the feeling that a player might be playing a draw aggressively (e.g. he slow plays non draws that you've seen) but if it is a good player this won't be the case most of the time.

Jon

Jamie Collins
07-16-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the response Jon.

I was thinking about the same thing. Button bet, UTG+3 called the flop bet and I folded. I had no flush re-draw, no straight re-draw. 9 handed - somebody had to have something. Turns out no one had me beat but I think it is a good laydown anyway. I had a few options on the hand and not sure I played the entire hand correctly - that's why I posted it!

UTG+3 check called the turn and check folded the river. Probably on a flush draw. Button flashed KK.

Regards,
Jamie

FREDSKINS
07-16-2003, 12:30 PM
I really dont see enough evidence that your small preflop raise helps you any, just costs you another bet.
Also after the flop I like call, imo, you should have bet after the flop, imo. Now I'm too high to finish the rest of this post. (seriously)