PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's coverage is horrible!

TimTimSalabim
07-15-2003, 09:52 PM
On tonight's show, when Sam Grizzle bet his KJ and then called Phil H's 7000 raise with AQ (an idiotic call as Phil, of course, ranted about later), then the flop came K high, and Sam went all-in, the announcer said it was 21 *thousand*. Then when I saw Phil call, I thought, there's no way he'd call a 21K bet with one overcard! I had to go back and rewind my Tivo recording to find out the guy bet 2100, not 21000. It made sense later when Phil complained about the guy putting in 90% of his chips with KJ.

This announcer is making Vince Van Patten look good!

TimTimSalabim
07-15-2003, 10:16 PM
And they hardly ever announce the bet and raise sizes and chip counts. And on one of the rare times they do, they screw it up by a factor of ten! Mike Sexton, can you come fill in and save this crew?

Okay, rant over.

Easy E
07-15-2003, 10:19 PM
Not too many tonight- didn't take notes, just watched since the format was generally the same as day one.

Some of the bios were interesting, and the hopping to key hands for the "celebrity" well-know players such as Jesus were okay. The format doesn't give you a lot of poker to view, especially when the shows are only an hour long. I hope the final table is a two hour show.

I should have guessed that a Johnny Chan/"Rounders" piece was coming... even though I love the movie, seemed a bit tedious.

The show seemed to drag a little tonight- was it just me?

It was sorta fun watching Phil H and Sam Grizzle jaw at one another. I unfortunately have to admit that justice was served (i can't believe I am saying this) by Phil busting Sam out.... though I can't believe that Phil DIDN'T put Sam all in with the Ace-high flush near the end.

A couple of hands that Tony D played really surprised me. The AA against Phil's K9, when Phil bet the 9 on the turn- why didn't Tony hit Phil for more chips and/or on the river? I didn't understand that one, even with the board that was out there.

The second one shocked me- he let Phil move him off of trip Jacks? Sorry, I would have had to lose all of my chips there, if I were beaten, because they would have gone over the top of Phil's raise.

I missed the comment, but I assume that the break was coming up when all of the players disappeared and Tony D busted Sam down to a few chip... with Phil playing vulture.

It REALLY is disorienting to suddenly see Sam G with so few chips... and no hand count to give us a WHIFF of a clue.

See everyone next week for day #3.

(I missed that one, Tim, about the 21K... they really need to show the chip counts... not that they will this year)

TimTimSalabim
07-15-2003, 10:55 PM
I believe it was Sam who had the AA against Phil's K9, which explains the weak play.

As for the trip jacks laydown by Tony D, I too was shocked. Tony D must have thought, Phil usually has the nuts or something close to it when he reraises like that. So, he figures Phil probably has a bigger Jack if not KK and it's not worth the rest of his chips to find out. That's the only thing I can figure.

Easy E
07-15-2003, 11:20 PM
I saw Sam's, I thought Tony D did it too with the Aces... but i should have taken notes.

TimTimSalabim
07-15-2003, 11:56 PM
You may be right about the AA, but I'm afraid to watch the show again, for fear I might forget to fast-forward past Phil H brushing his teeth. An image that will haunt me forever.

SossMan
07-16-2003, 12:47 AM
One thing that is really, really not needed was Phil rolling out of bed at 1 o'clock, brushing his teeth, writing Dr. Phil notes to himself while doing tai-chi half naked on his Palo Alto balcony.
What network brainiac allowed that scene to come into their head and thought to themselves "Hey, I know what poker fans want to see..."

Here's to hairy nipples...

banditbdl
07-16-2003, 01:18 AM
Are you kidding? The closing shot of Phil trying to look intimidating with his shirt off was absolutely hilarious. Phil may be a crybaby, but if nothing else his enormous ego provides hefty doses of unintentional comedy whenever he shows up.

Uston
07-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Phil doing Tai Chi was unpleasant to watch. Phil dripping toothpaste and saliva down his chin was considerably less pleasant. Neither prepared me for shirtless Phil, which horrified me to the marrow.

I'd like to get an explanation as to why raising with KJ is bad, but raising with K9s is good.

Nottom
07-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Well K9s is sooted ... and sooted is good. Duh.

SossMan
07-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Neither prepared me for shirtless Phil, which horrified me to the marrow.

Classic.

In his defense, I think he was complaining that Sam called 90% of his chips w/ KJo after Phil went over the top of him as opposed to raising w/ K9s. Big difference.

Roy Munson
07-16-2003, 05:45 PM
After watching the first two installments of the 2003 WSOP there is one thing of which I am certain. There will never be a book, magazine or television show called Poker Fitness or Poker Health.

Some of my coworkers who know of my poker playing have watched this and have commented on the attire and hygiene of many of the participants. One non poker playing senior manager was astonished that many of these people were able to pay the $10,000 entry fee based upon their appearance. I explained to him that the large majority of the seats are won through satellites or are purchased by backers.

I find the series entertaining, especially the banter between the players. Without access to the Travel Channel I can not compare it to the WPT.