PDA

View Full Version : Best Video Game 1988-1994, Round 5

durron597
12-10-2005, 10:06 PM
A lot of really close matches last round. The only one that was less close than 60/40 was Punchout vs. Chrono Trigger, which was 62% to 38%. Civilization won by only 2 votes, and SMB3 only won by 4 votes.

Tetris and Super Mario Kart have a bye to round 7 in the loser's bracket. I will run this poll for 2 days because it is the championship of the winners bracket, and I will run the following Loser's bracket matches for only one day. For accurate results, keep this thread bumped!

Here is the link to the full bracket (http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=133157&tclass=)

And the poll questions:

TheMainEvent
12-10-2005, 10:25 PM
So there are going to be like 3 more matches in the losers bracket? Why is anyone going to care after we already know which one wins the whole thing?

[censored]
12-10-2005, 10:29 PM
I could only vote on two because of not having played the other games.

Contra v. Tyson's Punch Out was really difficult. I went with Punch Out because I think it has a large enough edge in replay value over Contra (althought I think Contra is the more enjoyable game first time though). I will still fire up some punch out with my brother's whenever we have the chance.

Tecmobowl vs. Simcity was an easy choice for me. I love Tecmobowl and it's probably my all time favorite game.

Blarg
12-10-2005, 10:33 PM
I am very sad to see all these sequels and console games up there when Doom and X-COM got booted.

12-10-2005, 10:36 PM
i missed this series but how did so many crap games make it? and how is SFII not in the 'winners bracket'????

swede123
12-10-2005, 10:41 PM
I cry with you. It really should have been split between PC and consoles. Oh well, maybe next time.

Swede

durron597
12-10-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i missed this series but how did so many crap games make it? and how is SFII not in the 'winners bracket'????

[/ QUOTE ]

It lost to A Link to the Past, of course.

durron597
12-10-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So there are going to be like 3 more matches in the losers bracket? Why is anyone going to care after we already know which one wins the whole thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knows, maybe people will like the game that wins the losers bracket more than the game that wins the winner's bracket. Some sort of weird popularity cycle maybe.

12-10-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the point. The winner of the winner's bracket does not win the whole thing. The winner of the winner's bracket has to play the winner of the loser's bracket.

TheMainEvent
12-10-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the point. The winner of the winner's bracket does not win the whole thing. The winner of the winner's bracket has to play the winner of the loser's bracket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, alright then /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bobbyi
12-10-2005, 11:34 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c1/Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg/256px-Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg

SackUp
12-11-2005, 12:00 AM
SMB3

Contra

Tecmo FB

Raydain
12-11-2005, 01:21 AM
where the hell is FVII?

splashpot
12-11-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
where the hell is FVII?

[/ QUOTE ]
This tournament is pre-1994.

splashpot
12-11-2005, 01:24 AM
Contra losing would be a sin.

splashpot
12-11-2005, 01:32 AM
I never played any of the Castlevania games, but I can't imagine it being better than FF6 so I'm glad to see FF6 ahead. But I am wondering which Castlevania's are good. I'm thinking about buying the new one for the DS because it's supposed to be great. But I have no experience with the series.

12-11-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But I am wondering which Castlevania's are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're talking old school Castlevania, 2's better than 1.

tpir90036
12-11-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well usually the winner of the losers bracket faces the winner of the winners bracket in a double elimination tournament. And the person with no losses has to lose twice in a row. Since the matchups are by voting though I don't see how that would happen unless people switched their votes or something. *shrug*

Maulik
12-11-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Tecmobowl vs. Simcity was an easy choice for me. I love Tecmobowl and it's probably my all time favorite game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Techmobowl was my favourite video game of all time too... but Sim City 2000 was probably my favourite GAME of all time.

then there is Starcraft & Diablo II

Smarty
12-11-2005, 01:44 AM
SMB vs. Zelda 3 may be the toughest matchup to date

Wayfare
12-11-2005, 01:46 AM
The correct answers:
PC: Monkey Island 2, Wing Commander, XCOM

Console: FF3, Street fighter 2, SMB3

And of course, these are taste based so there is no right answer.

I submit dark age of camelot as the most destructively addictive game of all time as well.

durron597
12-11-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since the matchups are by voting though I don't see how that would happen unless people switched their votes or something. *shrug*

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just going to assume that if someone wins once they would win twice.

tpir90036
12-11-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since the matchups are by voting though I don't see how that would happen unless people switched their votes or something. *shrug*

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that sounds reasonable. As long as the winner of the losers bracket gets a shot.

12-11-2005, 01:50 AM
I can't believe Chrono Trigger lost to Punch Out. I mean, I love Punch Out and all even after that Nigga Stole My Bike, but for real, Chrono Trigger is probably one of the best games ever made. But whatever...
Justin

splashpot
12-11-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What if it comes down to <5 votes? In that case a re-vote might actually make a difference. I'm not saying it's a good idea though.

durron597
12-11-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What if it comes down to <5 votes? In that case a re-vote might actually make a difference. I'm not saying it's a good idea though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

<font color="white">mixing metaphors is fun!</font>

manpower
12-11-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am very sad to see all these sequels and console games up there when Doom and X-COM got booted.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the revolutionary games are gone. Zelda one, doom, quake II, counter strike. I'm only starting to follow this now, but am continually surprised by the inclusion of 'link to the past'.

dankhank
12-11-2005, 02:37 AM
ok mike tyson's punchout vs contra is very difficult, i need to think out loud on this one. lets go to the tale of the tape:

replay value ... well punchout is a unique game with a celebrity end boss, so even today it is an interesting game to people ... but with thirty lives you can team up with just about anyone and beat contra... advantage: contra

storyline ... little mac's journey from weak newbie to world champion mirrors the real life growth of many of us who played the game, and his bruises along the way are a metaphor for the hassles of daily life ... in contra all you know is you're fighting an abstract alien force ... advantage: punchout

enemies ... in contra you fight aliens and alien-controlled stationary weaponry, and only a few of the bosses have unique moves ... in punchout the villains are all colorful characters with devastating techniques ranging from bald bull's bull charge to super macho man's deadly uppercut ... advantage: punchout

weapons... in contra you are able to use guns such as a flame thrower, various high powered machine guns, and a lazer - all with unlimited ammo ... punchout keeps it simple with only mac's little fists and guile being employed in the fight ... advantage: contra

clothing ... pink jumpsuit versus no shirt and blue pants ... advantage: punchout

graphics: in both cases we're talking about 8-bit graphics, although let me tell you at the time this was a big step up from colecovision ... punchout was more colorful while contra was more immersive ... push

movement: in punchout you could move left and right, dodge, and you could fall to the mat ... in contra you could move forward, back, up, down, and most importantly, flip through the air so as to avoid streams of bullets headed your way ... advantage: contra

endgame: if i remember there is a satisfying end screen to punchout, however it is a slight letdown to discover tyson himself is not as hard to beat as the second super macho man ... contra's ending is so fast that before you know it you're back at the start screen, putting in the thirty lives code yet again ... advantage: contra

winner: contra

durron597
12-11-2005, 04:23 AM
I can't believe Zelda 3 is losing /images/graemlins/frown.gif

splashpot
12-11-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Contra losing is much worse.

SackUp
12-11-2005, 04:45 AM
Contra losing would be a crime against humanity.

Punchout is a great game, but come on...CONTRA!

AEKDBet
12-11-2005, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a public shaming for OOT.

Dynasty
12-11-2005, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SMB3 was a phenomenon. The excitement when the game came out was extraordinary.

Zelda 3 was just a game, no matter how good it was.

housenuts
12-11-2005, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you recall the movie The Wizard? that movie was so good, however it's kind of confusing how that kid was able to find the flutes in his first time ever playing the game.
also the scene with the power glove and rad racer was excellent.

ThinkQuick
12-11-2005, 02:35 PM
looks like this isnt going to be as close

durron597
12-11-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
looks like this isnt going to be as close

[/ QUOTE ]

It boggles my mind that Tetris fared better against SMB3 than Zelda is.

AEKDBet
12-11-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Zelda 3 was just a game, no matter how good it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hype does not equal quality. Zelda was a better game.

I remember being the first kid in my neighborhood who got the game. That afternoon I called my 3 best friends and they were at my house in 3 minutes (on their bikes). Mario being able to fly was crrrraaaaaaaaaaaazy!

SackUp
12-12-2005, 02:08 AM
SMB3 is winning as it should.

Tyson beating Contra is a bit of a shock. They are both solid games, but come on CONTRA!!!

mrkilla
12-12-2005, 03:53 AM
that was by far the toughest matchup to vote for , both are to great games that were hours of fun, but i had to give it to punch out, to me it was like the zelda/smb3 matchup. Tyson takes it , but its close and I looooooooooooooooove Contra. But I still have never beaten punch out (Damn Iron Mike)

ThinkQuick
12-12-2005, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
SMB3 is winning as it should.

Tyson beating Contra is a bit of a shock. They are both solid games, but come on CONTRA!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Contra made a giant comeback

NLSoldier
12-12-2005, 04:48 AM
I just noticed that shining force 2 wasnt included in this thing. waht a sham.

jaydub
12-12-2005, 11:44 AM
dankhank,

What you leave out is that Punch Out is a terrible game when it comes to simulating boxing. No real combinations, no real defense, no real stamina, and no ability to build up a fighter over time. Just a few tricks to get by gimmicky fighters.

That all the great RPGs are gone and Zelda / SMB are squaring off is of course not surprising but still disheartening.

J

durron597
12-12-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dankhank,

What you leave out is that Punch Out is a terrible game when it comes to simulating boxing. No real combinations, no real defense, no real stamina, and no ability to build up a fighter over time. Just a few tricks to get by gimmicky fighters.

That all the great RPGs are gone and Zelda / SMB are squaring off is of course not surprising but still disheartening.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Zelda and SMB3 are more raw fun than FFVI, plain and simple.

durron597
12-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Only a few hours left for zelda to overcome a 44 vote deficit!

trying2learn
12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
not to mention a dead heat between contra and punch out!