PDA

View Full Version : Affiliate Accounts

MrWookie47
12-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Are affiliate accounts allowed to post outside of the Affiliate forum? I saw ReduceTheRake posting in OOT, and I'm inclined to think it's not kosher. RTR wasn't pleased when I sent him a PM, though, since apparently he's posted outside of that forum (even before it's creation) and no one has said anything. Your thoughts?

Lloyd
12-10-2005, 10:07 PM
There is some leeway with affiliate forum-only accounts. For example, they are allowed to have their URL in the location field. But I'd say that if there is a SN that complies with the general rules and they aren't directly advertising in other forums they should be allowed to post. Such is the case with ReduceTheRake. There's no URL in his location. No issues with avatars. Isn't spamming people. And makes some contributions to forums.

[censored]
12-10-2005, 10:22 PM
as a OOT mod I certainly don't have a problem with it as long as he's not a jackass

GrunchCan
12-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Does this leeway extend to affiliate accounts posting in strategy forums?

StellarWind
12-13-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are affiliate accounts allowed to post outside of the Affiliate forum? I saw ReduceTheRake posting in OOT, and I'm inclined to think it's not kosher. RTR wasn't pleased when I sent him a PM, though, since apparently he's posted outside of that forum (even before it's creation) and no one has said anything. Your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone with half a clue can figure out that ReduceTheRake => www.reducetherake.com (http://www.reducetherake.com) and that it's a rakeback site.

I can think of no better form of free advertising then making regular high quality contributions to as many forums as possible. It humanizes you and makes you look savvy, established, and trustworthy. It sets you above the stereotypical moneygrubbing affiliate and it reaches a very wide audience of potential good customers.

It's really up to Mat whether he wants to allow this or not. These people aren't hurting the community but from a business perspective there are issues of site reputation and free advertising.

Lloyd
12-13-2005, 10:03 PM
My understanding is that an affiliate (presumably those that are part of the Affiliate forum network) can use a dedicated affiliate account in that forum where their location includes an URL and so forth. However, they are not allowed to use those accounts in other forums (strategy, OOT, etc.). However, if they have an account that complies with all of the rules (i.e. no URL in the location field, not spamming within posts, etc.) then they can participate in other forums just like anybody else.

craig r
12-13-2005, 10:24 PM
You are correct Lloyd. We tell all of the advertisers in our forum that they can only use their affiliate username in the affiliate forum.

craig

Lloyd
12-13-2005, 10:53 PM
But are you saying that they are prohibited from using that account outside of the Affiliate forum? ReducetheRake, for instance. Can he post in other forums using that account but complying with all other rules regarding what can be posted, no URL in the location field, etc.

craig r
12-14-2005, 01:28 AM
My understanding was that he could not post using that username in another forum. But, if Mat is okay with it, then he can do what he wants. I thought it was a rule that him/Chuck had come up with. I just need them to let me know and I will let reducetherake.com that he needs to stop.

craig

Mat Sklansky
12-14-2005, 03:55 PM
this is correct. let him know to stop

craig r
12-14-2005, 04:31 PM
I have talked to ReduceTheRake.com. It will not happen anymore.

craig