PDA

View Full Version : Playing tricky against a terrible player

MicK412
12-10-2005, 09:15 PM
MP3 is a really bad player, and likes to bluff alot. SB is decent, although his stats show hes pretty tight. I think he'd fold a weak 10 based on my actions.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, 1 fold</font>, Hero raises</font>, SB calls, 1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif (4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif (3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP3 bets</font>,Hero raises</font>, SB folds, MP3 calls.

River: (13 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero bets</font>

Had to fix color

12-10-2005, 10:02 PM
The flop and turn seem fine, given the reads. Turn raise may be a little questionable since the flop is quite uncoordinated (increasing the likelihood MP3 is holding at least pair), though gutshots and overcards are very possible holdings. Therefore, I like the isolation raise.

I think the river bet is a clear mistake. Given the read, you can't fold villain off any better hands, and there's no way you’re good 55% of the time when called. Check the river here.

EDIT - After looking closer at the action, I think it's important to note that SB rarely holds a T here. I think his range on the flop includes 66-99 and ATs. Since he attempted to protect his hand on the flop with a check-raise (it's likely he assumed you'd auto-bet the flop) I think the above range is reasonable. I highly doubt he'll attempt this with overcards, and think these holdings can be discounted heavily, as can big pocket pairs.

Given my thoughts on his range, I still believe raising the turn is fine. It’s also unlikely you’ll be 3-betted, and I think this is an important consideration. I didn't really know how to interrupt "pretty tight", and assumed he had TAGish stats.

Scotch78
12-10-2005, 10:38 PM
I don't like the turn or river. I could see raising the turn if it was heads-up and the SB bet out (to push him off 66-99), but as it is I think calling is far superior. In order for the raise to be better than calling, you must be ahead of MP3 and push the SB off a pair, or knock the SB off ATs and spike an ace to beat MP3. A raise will probably fold the SB and given your read it's possible you have MP3 beaten, but there's a couple problems. First, I think the SB bets ATs 100% of the time, not to mention the fact that 2 outs are not worth 1 BB in this pot. But more importantly, I think the SB has 66-99 very often here and will overcall with them very rarely. So basically, I hate the idea of raising to push out the SB.

Scott

MicK412
12-10-2005, 11:06 PM
I also have the nut flush draw on the turn for additional outs against both players.

12-10-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, I think the SB bets ATs 100% of the time, not to mention the fact that 2 outs are not worth 1 BB in this pot. But more importantly, I think the SB has 66-99 very often here and will overcall with them very rarely. So basically, I hate the idea of raising to push out the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think you bring up an interesting point here. I overlooked the SB's turn action, his play is confusing and inconsistent with his flop play. I'd assume he'd bet out with 66-99 and any T on this innocuous turn card. Perhaps overcards hands need to be given stronger consideration.

I disagree that SB is planning on folding the turn with 66-99 for 1BB, especially if he has some sort of similar read on MP3. Throw in the possibility of folding out AK, and I think raising the turn with outs is the better option here. Though, admittedly I’m a little unsure here and some math may prove me wrong.

Scotch78
12-11-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also have the nut flush draw on the turn for additional outs against both players.

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored], Sherlock. What you don't have though is a good reason for raising the turn.

Scott

edit: PS I see you're new here, so here's some non-poker advice: when you respond to a serious, thought-out response with a remark so simple and obvious it'd take a moron to have missed it , you're insulting me, not discussing poker.

Harv72b
12-11-2005, 01:45 AM
I don't think he meant his response as an insult to you, and frankly, after reading your first reply I thought you'd missed the FD too. It's an easy thing to do on here, especially when you're browsing through a bunch of hands in a sitting (I miss draws like that pretty regularly on the forums).

silkyslim
12-11-2005, 02:36 AM
well, if you have a good enough read to spew chips like this before the river then good, but why would you bet the river with A-hi? the player is terrible therefore you probably wont get him to fold with nay piece, so you are an underdog when called. just take the free showdown.

silkyslim
12-11-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored], Sherlock. What you don't have though is a good reason for raising the turn.

Scott

edit: PS I see you're new here, so here's some non-poker advice: when you respond to a serious, thought-out response with a remark so simple and obvious it'd take a moron to have missed it , you're insulting me, not discussing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
settle down killer. this is poker not ultimate fighting. This reminds me when i was in Vegas and GoblinMason went all-in on the flop with KK. Dude called him with a set of 9's and actually was all mad that Craig made a move on him instead of being happy for being ahead. he then called Craig a donkey (although i agree he is a donkey this clown was an even bigger one) . The dudes face was turning all red. it was insane. you sound like that guy. settle. down. online killer.