PDA

View Full Version : Best car chase

ObnxNole
12-10-2005, 09:11 PM
I just got done watching The Bourne Supremacy and it had one of the best car chases I've ever seen. Another one that comes to mind is the one in Terminator 2. Any other ones in movies that I should see?

IggyWH
12-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Gone In 60 Seconds with the 'stang was great, until they screwed it up by having the car fly. I block that part out so I still enjoy the chase.

deacsoft
12-10-2005, 09:14 PM
I've always liked the one in Ronin. Perhaps not the best one ever but I thinks it's good.

p.s. I'm not really in to car chases so take it for what it's worth.

jba
12-10-2005, 09:16 PM
bourne supremacy -- is that the one with the mini? that one is sweet.

the ronin one is first class, nice call on that one.

my submission: road warrior.

Colonel Kataffy
12-10-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always liked the one in Ronin. Perhaps not the best one ever but I thinks it's good.

p.s. I'm not really in to car chases so take it for what it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I immediately thought of Ronin. Watching the director's commentary, its amazing how they did it. The low placement of the camera created a fast feel that I think seperates it from others.

Also great is Blues Brothers.

Cancuk
12-10-2005, 09:21 PM
The best "modern" car chase is Ronin.

The best ever, Blues Brothers.

JihadOnTheRiver
12-10-2005, 09:32 PM
French Connection. "And its not close." Any reliable source in the business will refer to this movie as the movie by which all car chases are based off of.

istewart
12-10-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
French Connection. "And its not close." Any reliable source in the business will refer to this movie as the movie by which all car chases are based off of.

[/ QUOTE ]

swede123
12-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Actually, some "experts" will probably mention the chase in Bullitt.

Swede

IggyWH
12-10-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a B/W movie in French and the guy kills a cop in the beginning? If so, I had to watch that in a film class. If it isn't, anyone know the name?

rusellmj
12-10-2005, 09:42 PM
No, Gene hackman movie. Rent it and be happy.

I'm a Bullitt fan also.

IggyWH
12-10-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, Gene hackman movie. Rent it and be happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, well the movie I'm thinking of, when we had to watch it, our prof told us that this was THE car chase that started all car chases in movies.

The dude is a french guy who steals a car in the beginning, gets into a shootout and kills a cop. He's then on the run and hangs out with his american girlfriend for a while. I forget how the movie ends but I think they caught and killed him.

JihadOnTheRiver
12-10-2005, 09:45 PM
IMdB rules. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067116/)

BCPVP
12-10-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
What's the big deal with Bullitt? I only saw the car chase, but besides having two really awesome cars, it seemed meh compared to the stuff going on now.

fluxrad
12-10-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
What's the big deal with Bullitt? I only saw the car chase, but besides having two really awesome cars, it seemed meh compared to the stuff going on now.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was shot on scene in San Francisco at speed.

I would say Ronin is the best car chase scene in the last 10 or so years. Bullitt is the best car chase scene ever.

private joker
12-10-2005, 10:51 PM
To Live and Die in L.A. -- wrong way down a crowded freeway.

NLSoldier
12-10-2005, 10:53 PM
its clearly the one that was real life when the guy jacked a tank and took it for a cruise.

surfinillini
12-10-2005, 10:53 PM
I think the best car chase of all time was when OJ Simpson took off in his bronco with AC, not a movie but definitely the best chase of all time.

swede123
12-10-2005, 10:58 PM
As far as recent movies the one from Matrix: Reloaded comes to mind, the scene where Trinity rides a motorcycle against crazy traffic while being chased by agents and those two albino dudes. Pretty lame movie, but a pretty exciting chase scene.

Swede

Dynasty
12-10-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another one that comes to mind is the one in Terminator 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terminator 2 is on BRAVO at 8PM tonight.

Blarg
12-10-2005, 11:17 PM
The more names get brought up, the harder it is for me to pick.

I'll just add one that I thought was great fun, though it was short -- the opening car chase of The Hidden.

One note -- today's chase scenes have CGI added in. Matrix and Terminator are examples. This is why it's not necessarily fair to compare them to old ones like Bullitt or French Connection.

McGahee
12-10-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dominic
12-11-2005, 12:24 AM
French Connection
Bullitt
nothing else even comes close.

Ringo_Mojo
12-11-2005, 12:28 AM
I belive in judging a car chase by how many cop cars get wrecked in interesting ways...

Blues Brothers
Smokey and the Bandit
Cannonball Run

Dominic
12-11-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To Live and Die in L.A. -- wrong way down a crowded freeway.

[/ QUOTE ]

this one was great..

the best part is when they go the wrong way up the ramp, turn onto the freeway, going the wrong way, and the camera tilts up so you can see the car and the whole freeway with literally hundreds of cars coming towards us.

billyjex
12-11-2005, 12:37 AM
I liked the car chase in Bad Boys II. Good action, a little silly but it's a movie. Not saying it's best, but a very good one.

Dominic
12-11-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked the car chase in Bad Boys II. Good action, a little silly but it's a movie. Not saying it's best, but a very good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it's not. And you know why? Because most of it was CGI. In order to qualify for this thread, I say the majority of the chase should be real - IN CAMERA - not computer generated.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

surfinillini
12-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Has anyone ever seen a really old Steven Spielberg movie from 1971 called Duel (for those that have seen Jeepers Creepers they kinda stole the story of the psycho motorist, but the movie is that minus any ghosts + Breakdown with Kurt Russell).

Anyway, some really original chase scenes in the desert and an overall [censored] up movie.

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/66/43/70m.jpg

Victor
12-11-2005, 01:03 AM
first blues brothers is great.

Lazymeatball
12-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Answer: Bullit

Honorable mention:
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000695JO.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Lifetime Achivement: the entire James Bond series.

tonypaladino
12-11-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its clearly the one that was real life when the guy jacked a tank and took it for a cruise.

[/ QUOTE ]

did that really happen or are you just confusing GTA with real life?

Lazymeatball
12-11-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably the hgihlight of any "Worlds Wildest Police Videos" or "Greatest Car Chases" tv show.

bwana devil
12-11-2005, 03:11 AM
i loved "dead pool." it's a dirty harry movie w/ a remote control car chasing real real car in SF. pretty cool.

notables in the movies. several members of guns n roses are in make a cameo. also jim carey a big a big time screen appearance. you might miss him if youre not watching too closing but he has a somewhat significant role. just out of character.

bwana

diebitter
12-11-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll just add one that I thought was great fun, though it was short -- the opening car chase of The Hidden.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was the first one I thought of. Awesome chase with a kick-ass Ferrari, if I remember correctly.

Reviewed here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=3814076&an=&page=0&v c=1)

bwana devil
12-11-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i loved "dead pool." it's a dirty harry movie w/ a remote control car chasing real real car in SF. pretty cool.

notables in the movies. several members of guns n roses are in make a cameo. also jim carey a big a big time screen appearance. you might miss him if youre not watching too closing but he has a somewhat significant role. just out of character.

bwana

[/ QUOTE ]

drunk post above. dead pool = cool movie that's all you need to know.

sorry for the stupid typos.

bwana

Mason Malmuth
12-11-2005, 04:27 AM
Hi ObnxNole:

How about The Bank Dick starring W.C. Fields. I especially like the part where he hands the bad guy the steering wheel.

best wishes,
Mason

Blarg
12-11-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that happening and I remember it being a part of some movie or t.v. show shortly after.

Mr_J
12-11-2005, 04:36 AM
The original Gone in 60 Seconds had like a 40min or 1h car chase or something. Basically what the movie was. Car got beat up pretty bad, can't remember how good the chase actually was though.

French movie made maybe about 5 years ago called 'Taxi' has a good car chase through the streets of Paris.

The bourne supremacy was a good car chase. I like realistic car chases. The remake of gone in 60 secs was too fake.

Can't remember the chase in ronin but I'd guess it was good.

Torque has the worst chase ever (on the y2k). And biker boyz, what's wrong they can't take on the twisties??

Blarg
12-11-2005, 05:30 AM
The one in Ronin was a lot of fun.

Eclypse
12-12-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
first blues brothers is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOTHING beat the Blues Brothers car chase. Make sure you see it on DVD as any TNT/USA type showing will cut it for sure. The original chase scene is something like 20 minutes long.

12-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Bullitt
Bourne Supremacy
Blues Brothers

one not mentioned: The Assignment (Ben Kingsley, Aidan Quinn, Donald Sutherland)

ScottieK