PDA

View Full Version : alaska

06-03-2002, 07:39 PM
still in alaska. finally made it after about a week of driving. a few problems, a window blew out on my campper and i had to board over it before the rainsorm. and a few other mechanical problems i solved with duct tape and wire. fishing is early but okay so far up here. the hours of darkness is only about three or four, so i get to go to bed in bright daylight. right now im in homer, alaska. the weather has been absolutely perfect with few rainy periods and the temps have been from the mid fifties to mid seventies. food has been fine , as i was worried i would be eating nothing but grease bust so far it has been good.

06-03-2002, 07:56 PM
try blubber bob's tofu burger...highly recommended..gl

06-03-2002, 08:06 PM
I know nothing about hatches in alaska. what are you running into? do the same patterns work up there as do in Montana? I guess you could go with the standard globugs, but that seems boring, and I'd want to try some buggier patterns if I was up there.

06-03-2002, 08:57 PM
glad you made it safely. Fishing down here in California is outstanding. you have to hike for several hours but its worth it once you get there. caught more fish than I could count on the Middle Fork of the Feather this weekend. that's two weeks in a row for me. great caddis hatches in evenings. little black/green nymph things work well in daytime hours.

06-03-2002, 09:00 PM
2d,

do you have much luck with stone fly patterns? saw some coming off the water and even saw a few metamorphing from water stage to flying stage. had no luck with those patterns though.

06-03-2002, 11:47 PM
I mostly stick with really basic nymph patterns in california, and spend most of my effort on presentation. makes for an easier time of tying for my limited mental capacity.

little yellow stones will work on the right streams (American N Fork, etc), and, if I were to fish those streams more, I'd probably incorporate them more into my tying/fishing. I've found, though, that larger Gold ribbed hair's ears do just fine as a stone imitation. carry them in assorted sizes and colors, and you'll do well. Anyway, this all is really a way of saying that the streams I've fished thus far haven't had much of a stonefly population, and when I do run into them in my rock turning missions, I just make do with what I have.

06-04-2002, 12:21 AM
I'm a big fan of wolly buggers. If I had to rely on fish to survive and was allowed to carry only one fly, this would be it.

There are many different stone flies. Which one are you refering to.

If your refering to salmon flies and golden stones, fish your nymphs tight to the bank, nymphs crawl out of water to hatch. Dries work best warm, windy afternoons. Hatch moves upstream a few miles a day. Best to be at head. Look for females in air. Good luck.

06-04-2002, 12:27 AM
You missed all the snow here. Kid thinks they won't get Going to Sun Road open until mid July. Something like 90" last few storms in Glacier.

Kid called all excited today, saw a couple of griz at about 150'. I'm jealous.

Enjoy your trip.

06-04-2002, 10:36 AM
how big? are these case building caddis?

06-04-2002, 02:03 PM
I'm pretty sure they were golden stone's. They were big and gold colored. I've never caught a fish on a wooly bugger. I'll have to be more persistent.

06-04-2002, 02:05 PM