PDA

View Full Version : ptracker computer

12-10-2005, 06:42 PM
I just wondered what is more important for great ptracker performance. Memory, processor or harddrive?

I am planning on buying a new system and the question is:
2 vs 4 gig ram
single vs dualcore
scsi vs sata vs raid

smoore
12-10-2005, 06:44 PM
I/O > RAM > CPU

AFAIK, SCSI still kicks all ass for databases.

MikeTexas
12-10-2005, 09:44 PM
You dont need 4 gigs of ram just for a "poker tracker" pc. In fact, you can easily get by with half a gig. Most hardcore gamers dont ever use more then 2 gigs of ram. Youll simply be wasting money on that much memory.

Storage space will be most important. SCSI is nice but very expsensive and uncessary. Just get two Sata drives and configure them in RAID....that'll be plenty fast.

12-10-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You dont need 4 gigs of ram just for a "poker tracker" pc. In fact, you can easily get by with half a gig. Most hardcore gamers dont ever use more then 2 gigs of ram. Youll simply be wasting money on that much memory.

Storage space will be most important. SCSI is nice but very expsensive and uncessary. Just get two Sata drives and configure them in RAID....that'll be plenty fast.

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard somewhere that it would be extremely fast if the database was smaller than my ram.. :/ Why do you say I need storage space? My DB takes about 2GIG right now so its a long way up to 250 or something.

MikeTexas
12-11-2005, 05:45 AM
2 Gigs is more then enough for even the most demanding applications......anything more and youre basically just wasting money. I do moderate gaming on my current machine and I have 2Gigs in it right now......the second Gig made a very slight performance increase in some games I play, but not much.

If youre really worried about speed then just use the extra money you were planing on spedning on that extra 2 Gigs of memory and buy a faster processor (ie a high end dual core CPU like you mentioned). The extra money you invest in a CPU will yield much better performance gains then an extra 2 gigs of meory.

As far as HD space goes...I assumed that you were going to be doing massive amounts of datamining like some folks do...Im not sure exactly how much drive space somthing like that requires as I only have a very small PT database myself...I just assumed that if this is all your computer will be used for that the extra space would come in handy.

GL and happy building.

-Mike

12-11-2005, 11:04 AM
thx man. I appreciate it!