PDA

View Full Version : The live difference

12-10-2005, 05:04 PM
So I've started playing live, and it's a whole new world. Biggest advantage to a good player: people play too fast, and lots of players behind you will reveal their action before you can act. Others will just flat out yell for what they need on the turn and river. Let's see what you would do in these circumstances...

1. Loose-ish, very passive table. People typically play loose preflop, and betting/raising anything less than two pair seems to be considered suicide. CO and BB have shown they can lay down a hand if the flop doesn't hit them.

Live 4/8 Hold'em (9-handed)

Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Preflop: 1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero raises, SB folds, BB calls, everyone else calls.

Flop: (12.5 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif (6 players)

All check to Hero, Hero bets, BB calls, 3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)

BB checks, CO checks, then as Hero looks down at (but hasn't yet touched) his chips he notices with his peripheral vision both players cutting off enough chips to call. Hero...?

Alright, so that one was probably easy. How about this one:

2. Table with mostly cardroom regulars. Mostly loose preflop/tight-passive postflop. BB is barely drinking age, sat down a few hands ago, has played aggressively and won a couple of small pots on the turn, and as he sat down for his first hand he declared "raise" and plopped his ID down on the table.

Live 4/8 Hold'em (8-handed)

Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif

Preflop: 6 folds, and as the blinds are already agreeing to chop, Hero raises. SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.5 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)

BB checks, Hero bets, BB says to Hero, "let's see how much you like your cards" and raises. Hero...?

DCWildcat
12-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Hand 1- bets. They'll call with many worse Q's, 7's, and lower PP's. That's the beauty of live play. Oh, and I love the preflop raise. NH.

Hand 2- 7.5 SB and I think we've got a legit 6.5 to 7 outs*. Calll. Sounds like a WPT fanboy to me. If he's passively considering a chop, then suddenly gets all funky on you like this, you don't need to fear a higher pair. Chances are he's trying to be like Phil Hellmuth with 87o.

Backdoor flush + 2 probably clean OC's - times they aren't clean or they lose anyway = at least 6.5 to 7 outs.

Vote4Pedro
12-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Hand 1: I'm still betting

Hand 2: I'd reply with a smart ass comment and 3bet his candy ass