PDA

View Full Version : These Teams Are Balanced?

MMMMMM
07-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Well, actually I think they almost are. In the last few months of discussions it appears to be:

Team Orange: Cyrus, andyfox, Chris Alger, nickyg, John Cole, and jokerswild (aka Parmenides, lol!, Ray Springfield)

vs.

Team Blue: Tom Haley, HDPM, Jimbo, M, and Dr Wogga.

There are a number of posters who weigh in on these issues occasionally so they may be considered alternates, and my apologies for forgetting anyone or leaving anyone out. This was a spur-of-the-moment idea.

jokerswild only is permitted to switch teams whenever the topic reverts to Palestinian terrorism.

All participants are invited to submit two events for consideration as tiebreakers; the only consideration is that completion of each match-up may not exceed ten minutes. The two tiebreakers getting the most votes become official. Private inter-team communication regarding choice of tiebreakers is not permitted until after all votes have been submitted. Hopefully members from opposing teams will, in the spirit of fair play, take turns posting their submissions for tie-breakers. When all submissions are entered we will hold a secret ballot by PM'ing a designated neutral poster with our choices.

My submissions for tiebreaking contests will be:

1) arm-wrasslin'

2) blitz chess

Zeno
07-15-2003, 02:19 PM

1. Shotguns of choice at 20 paces.

2. No-limit Duce to seven lowball. Collaboration allowed within team members. Everyone starts with 5k. Handguns allowed. Last team standing, or with all the money, wins.

-Zeno

HDPM
07-15-2003, 03:07 PM
At least you chose Denver Broncos colors. The new helmets are OK, but the old orange jerseys were the nuts. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Jimbo
07-15-2003, 03:13 PM

1) Snooker
2) Table Tennis

Vehn
07-15-2003, 06:08 PM
You sure all those people know what "poker" is?

andyfox
07-16-2003, 12:15 AM
You can't snooker me, we should table the tennis idea. Instead, I suggest

1) Sushi eating

2) Getting in touch with one's feelings

Rick Nebiolo
07-16-2003, 11:53 AM
M,

If I had time and could chose I'd rather play for Team Blue (I'd be a good waterboy).

OTOH, I once teamed up with kooky leftest John Cole in a game of Trivial Pursuit and we (OK, John might have answered 52% of the questions) won the game without anyone else getting a turn. But our politics seemed similar back then - I guess I grew up.

~ Rick

MMMMMM
07-16-2003, 12:39 PM
I read a paraphrased quote on RGP today (I forget the thread):

"If you are in your twenties and you aren't liberal, you don't have a heart. In you are in your fifties and you aren't conservative, you don't have a brain."

Well I guess John still has a few years to come to his senses;-)

MMMMMM
07-16-2003, 12:42 PM
But andy I am already well in touch with my feelings about sushi: I feel it's rather gross;-)

Rick Nebiolo
07-16-2003, 02:04 PM
M,

Nah - I'm 49 and John is one year older so he is SOL /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

~ Rick

John Cole
07-16-2003, 04:43 PM
Rick,

To paraphrase e.e. cummings, "down you forgot/as up you grew." /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

John

John Cole
07-16-2003, 04:47 PM
M,

Interesting color choice, that orange. In one of those self-reporting psychology tests, participants fall into specific color groups by answering a series of questions. Orange people are characterized by a high degree of reason and logic. Believe it or not, I took this test in grad school, and I fell into the orange group. Won't even tell you what blue represents.

John

John Cole
07-16-2003, 04:52 PM
Look up Yip Harburg, M. He wrote the lyrics to an apt song about brains.

John

Jimbo
07-16-2003, 05:02 PM
Well John I am pretty sure MMMMMM did not choose orange for the Liberal group for the reasons you indicated! LoL /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

John Cole
07-16-2003, 10:51 PM
Rick,

I am still 49--I have a few more months to go. Still, though, make sure to respect your elders. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

John

MMMMMM
07-17-2003, 01:29 AM
I can certainly believe you fell into the Orange group back then, and it looks like you're still in it;-)

At first, I was tempted to call the teams Oranges and Apples, then Red and Blue (but I thought better of it). Green and Purple--nah--so Orange and Blue it was. I actually like the color Orange more than Blue, but we're the patriotic team(;-)). I couldn't bring myself to call your team the Red Team, however.

Have you heard of the Luscher Color Test? That book was quite a favorite of mine when I was around 12-13 years old. The color cards were such nice shades, too. I gave the test to any friend or relative who could be talked into it.

By the way, I usually picked that red-orange card first, often followed by the yellow, though sometimes in reverse order. The cool-looking off-green was up there nearby, and the odd purple was maybe 4th or 5th. The deep blue and brown were near the middle and the grey and black were usually last. It varied slightly with mood but those were my general preferences. The first pair and the last pair were the most consistent for me.

The test seemed surprisingly revealing, too, and the subjects' personalities and emotional states often seemed to be pretty well matched to their choices and analysis, as nearly as I could tell. How much of this might have been due to the "Horoscope Effect"(;-)) I have no idea. Perhaps scalf or John Feeney would be able to shed some light on how well-respected the Luscher Color Test is these days (if it is at all respected).

MMMMMM
07-17-2003, 10:45 PM
...are of course heartily welcome on the Blue Team; it's just that they haven't been weighing in on certain issues all that frequently lately.

I guess Irish Hand might be considered an alternate for the Orange Team;-)

Zeno
07-18-2003, 01:39 AM
M,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Blue is my favorite color. I stand on the sidelines most of the time because I'm probably more apolitical than political. That said, Blue is "My team of choice", after all; it is the team with all the brains. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Zeno

B-Man
07-18-2003, 08:02 AM
Thanks M. I'm fully with the Blue Team on most political matters, though I tend to side with the Orange Team (especially Andy) on sports.

I've been trying to stay out of the political debates because it is very time-consuming and distracting at work, but I am sure I'll be jumping back in from time to time.

nicky g
07-18-2003, 11:11 AM
I'll play if the tiebreakers are Monopoly (I'm a ruthless capitalist at the game) and drinking Trivial Pursuits (everytime you get a wedge you have a drink). Actually, drinking Monopoly could work too. Or we could just drink.

What's all this about? I think I missed something.

HDPM
07-18-2003, 11:26 AM
I didn't submit my tiebreakers. Since Jimbo is on my team I want some billiard oriented event. So I suggest a few points of 3 cushion billiards, with whisky after any billiard. (to copy from NickyG.) The other one would be shooting beer cans full of water with .44 magnums at 25 meters. Whisky would be consumed after successful shots because alcohol and firearms are such a good mix.

John Cole
07-18-2003, 03:23 PM
HDPM,

I don't drink much for medical reasons, so I'm unable to consume whiskey with any frequency. (I have a bottle of Maker's Mark at home, nearly full, and I've had it for almost a year (such a pity!)) Also, no billiards, not after Jimbo's stories. And, I know M so arm wrestling is definitely out--and he'd kill me at blitz chess, too. So, I suggest free throws. Each member has to hit a total of twenty-five, and the team with the fewest attempts wins. You guys can drink all you want.

John

MMMMMM
07-18-2003, 03:39 PM
ugh...you guys are getting way out of my league. Billiards and basketball have never been my sports of choice.

Table tennis...well, OK. At least I can sort of play it and it's fun.

John, do you know any good word games that can be played in under 10 minutes? The only ones I can think of are GHOST and JOTTO, and GHOST is kinda boring and JOTTO requires over 10 minutes (unless you put a chess clock on it--which I've never tried). Open-ended GHOST might be a lot more of a game than straight GHOST, however.

HDPM
07-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Forget the free throws, but if you have some makers mark I'll be by in a while.

P.S. Between the torture that was golf and the struggle to eat dinner in a tranquil setting by the river, we had a cocktail party at somebody's house along the golf course. He had a bourbon I had been meaning to try but hadn't. Rebel Yell is actually pretty good. I had an idea it was good because this one guy who shall remain unidentified claimed it helped him lure some southern belles into a prostate cancer prevention session. So I figured if it helped him it must be good bourbon. Despite the name, it is actually pretty good.