PDA

View Full Version : NL600--A massive turn all-in...

Garland
12-10-2005, 02:09 PM
I respect this opponent. He recently took $500ish when I raised preflop to $18 with AQs in early mid-position and flopped Q-high, but he slowplayed his AA in mid-position. He is aggressive preflop, but his starting hand requirements are sound: VP$IP = 20.71, PF Raise % = 8.88. His play postflop is also very good.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Garland

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Garland ($911.40)
UTG+1 ($913.60)
MP1 ($524)
MP2 ($150.10)
MP3 ($206)
CO ($592.50)
Button ($667.15)
SB ($783.60)
BB ($448.30)

Preflop: Garland is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $3.
Garland calls $6, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $18</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Garland calls $12.

Flop: ($45) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Garland checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $36</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Garland raises to $125</font>, UTG+1 calls $89.

Turn: ($295) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Garland bets $768.40 (All-In)

jkkkk
12-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Curious, why do you limp-call pf? If I'm going to play AQs I usually come in with a raise.

I don't like the turn push because I think he can have 77 or TT here, TT much more likely. Even if he hasn't, he managed to stack you with an overpair once, whats going to make him consider your very weird line a set?

Your line looks exactly like what you're holding and since hes good post-flop, I think he may call with AA-KK here also.

-Skeme-
12-10-2005, 02:48 PM
I usually raise this preflop, but a limp isn't awful. If he raised 5xBB preflop, would you still call? Against this opponent, I do not like your line. I guess you are representing the set? I guess it isn't awful, but if he doesn't fold the flop, I think you are in trouble.

The turn is quite the overbet. Do you do play your normal sets like this?

Lady Dont Tekno
12-10-2005, 02:57 PM
I'd raise pf. Smells like AA-JJ on the flop (he'd play TT faster w/ the draws out there). Hopefully he believes that you play a set that way and folds because I think you're behind here. Not an awful play though, I kinda like it the more I look at it.

Bukem_
12-10-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The turn is quite the overbet. Do you do play your normal sets like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very unlikely.

pokerjoker
12-10-2005, 03:11 PM
very interesting line. I suppose you put him on AA-KK?

If he has KK you have 14 outs

If called ~33% to win ~1075
66% to lose ~750

if folded u win $300

He has to fold ~50% here...you can read 600NL players better than me probably so this is ur call.

I'd say that this play is around 0 EV.

If u check here and he bets pot u have the odds to call it. I'd probably do that then push river if I hit. Call a small river bet if I miss.

12-10-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If u check here and he bets pot u have the odds to call it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I can't wrap my head around the play. Garland can you please explain? The only reason I can understand is that you are very sure that villain has KK/AA and will lay it down here... or you think he will call with JTs? JJ?

Garland
12-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Preflop - I don't think I've made a secret that in most full ring games, I limp most every hand UTG and UTG+1 that I intent to play. Hands in this position are devalued because of the tenuous position, and I reserve the right to limp-reraise certain hands based on who raises. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

As it was, the call of $12 of AQs was easy. It was smaller than the standard raise (should be $24 with one limper), and I wasn't exactly sure what to make of it.

Flop: He's the type of opponent I want to make semi-bluffs with, since he seems like the type of player who thinks. I believe I made a difficult decision for him right away. However, once he calls, I'm very certain he has a hand. He could have an overpair or AT, KT, etc. He could be slowplaying a set, but with the drawy board, I suspect he would have popped me again.

Turn: It was very possible that I out-turned him with the Q. If I make a normal sized bet, I determined that with the change in board, if he can't beat the Q he would fold right the Tx or JJ right there. So my attentions turned to if he had something like KK or AA. He might be savvy enough to wait for me to pot bet the turn and for him to raise all-in giving a difficult decision. Yes, if I believe I have 14 outs or I'm ahead then I'm getting odds to call. However:

(1) If I'm going to call the all-in raise anyways, I want to just stuff it in myself. I want to take away that play from him.
(2) Villain is representing a hand that might mean I'm only drawing to flush outs. I didn't want those thoughts to cloud my mind.
(3) I want to put maximum pressure on villain.

I contemplated check-raising all-in as well. I thought that was a viable play too. Maybe he has JJ or Tx and reads me for a flush draw. I could extract more value with that. He might check behind, and I'll be able to make a nice value bet on the river...one he would probably call since my hand is well-disguised.

Anyhow, he thought for about 15 seconds before folding. *whew*?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Garland