PDA

View Full Version : Is my check on the river correct, or should I have bet?

12-10-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm wondering if I should have tried for an additional bet on the river, or if checking was the right move. Stats of my opponent are 57/5/.39. I think my play through the turn was OK? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (5 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Td 3s (one pair, tens).
Hero has Th Kd (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 5 BB. </font>

12-10-2005, 01:05 PM
You played the hand fine, its hard to imagine a worse hand calling, especially since the MP1 could easily be an a flush draw that never got there. I know your opponent is very loose and thus has very low river calling standards, but with 3rd pair on a flush board/straight board, I think checking is the right play.

Fantam
12-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Its correct to bet on the river (especially when your lone opponent has shown weakness by checking to you) if you think that there are plenty of weaker hands that your opponent might call with.

In this hand, I think that your checking behind on the river was correct, because there were not many weaker hands that you could have expected your opponent to call with (other than the Tx, which he had!).

It was easily possible for your opponent to have been calling with a better pair such as Qx or Jx, and that he checked the river in case you had a made straight or flush.

It would also have been possible for your opponent to be attempting a check raise on the river if he had a 9 for a straight.

So in this instance, although you won the hand, I think that checking behind on the river was probably the best action.

By the way, welcome to the forums. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bozlax
12-10-2005, 01:34 PM
This is one of those situations where you have position, you have a made hand, and there are many, many possible better made hands. So, when it's checked to you on the river, the question you have to ask yourself is, "What am I going to do if raised?" Since in this case the answer is clearly "fold" (that is the answer you gave, right?), you should just check behind and look him up.

(Since you have a stat read on him, it might be worthwhile to take a look at his river-folding and river-c/r'ing stats in the 15 seconds you have to act. If he doesn't c/r the river much, I might throw a bet down here knowing that I can more confidently fold if he c/r's. But, if he folds the river to a bet a lot, there's no point. See?)

Chris Daddy Cool
12-10-2005, 02:08 PM
checking this river is fine.

silkyslim
12-10-2005, 02:16 PM
id bet with a J but with third pair ya you arent obligated to value bet