PDA

View Full Version : Who'd you rather have. . .

06-02-2002, 11:45 PM
. . .as your coach:

A) The diminuitive, rufescent, egotistical one who would arrogantly ignite a stogie to rub it in when victorious, and who, supposedly, tried to teach his brilliant center that, when he blocked a shot, to please block it to the smallest man on the court; or

B) The colossal, meditative, self-effacing one who brilliantly dates the daughter of the owner of the team and when his team most needs it, philosophically says, "I want you and you and you and you to run the f**k back."

I'll take B, even though he was bailed out by his opponents' inability to make free throws and the opposing center's inability to understand, despite many years of play, that when you commit 6 stupid fouls you're out of the game.

06-02-2002, 11:54 PM
i assume you're talking abou the lakers game. i only know they played today because someone flipped past the game on tv while i was walking by. i don't even know who they were playing, or who won, or how decisive the game was. but i do know i hate the lakers and i hate shaq.

06-03-2002, 12:07 AM
Don't seem to be two more arrogant people than Shaq and Kobie around, I have to admit.

06-03-2002, 12:38 AM
Andy,

As for ego, A.I. don't stand for "artifical intelligence."

For coach, I'd prefer that guy who coached a few good UCLA teams. Supposedly, he never once used the word "win."

And, did you come up with "rufescent" off the top of your head?

John

06-03-2002, 12:52 AM
I wish the top of my head had some rufescence.

My favorite John Wooden story, as told by Bill Walton. They'd won the championship, I think an undefeated season and Walton reports for first day practice the next year looking like, well, like Walton did in those years. Long, scraggly hair and beard, moustache covering his mouth. Wooden tells him he has to get a haircut in time for practice, which starts in 15 minutes.

Walton tells Wooden it's a free country, the 20th century, etc., etc., and he has no right to tell him how to wear his hair.

Wooden replies, your absotlutely right Bill, I don't have that right, but I do have the right to decide who's on this basketball team and. . . we're gonna miss you, big guy.

Walton jumps on his bike, rushes into Westwood, barges into the barber shop, pulls a kid our of a chair in the middle of his haircut, announces he needs a haircut right NOW or he's off the basketball team. Everyone encourages the barber to take Walton immeidately, he gets the haircut, rushes back to practice and Wooden doesn't say a thing, just starts the practice.

I heard Walton tell the story on the Charlie Rose Show in front of Wooden (and Bill Russell) and Wooden just smiled. Probably exaggerated a bit, but I used to job with Wooden at the UCLA track when Wooden was in his late 70s and I can't even begin to explain the kind of aura and respect his personality generates (quite naturally on the UCLA campus, but everywhere else too I think.)

BTW, people forget Wooden was a helluva player in his day too.

06-03-2002, 01:49 PM
What Phil has done is so much more difficult than what Red did it's not even funny.

As I posted in the Other Gambling Games forum, I think that if Phil coached Sacramento, they would have won the series.

06-03-2002, 04:13 PM
I think that if Phil coached Sacramento, they would have won the series.

I agree.

06-04-2002, 05:01 AM
i am a chicagoan, and i loved phil jackson when he was here. i still think he is a good coach. too bad he went to L.A.

06-04-2002, 01:38 PM
"Too bad he went to LA"

Thats not his fault, thats Jerry's fault. I freaking hate that guy.

06-04-2002, 08:25 PM
he is definitely the reason that the Bulls dynasty ended too early.