PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 NL, HUGE POT, Extracting $ with top set.

odawg09090
12-10-2005, 07:24 AM
I always have trouble playing these hands and extracting value. When I hit my set out of position against a large raiser who I put on a large PP, I always try to lead out and hope they raise over the top with an overpair... But that looked wrong here.

Relavant stack sizes: Hero has a full stack which is $1000. Button, BB and UTG all have $800. UTG+2 is short at $120.

PREFLOP: Hero is dealt [10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]at UTG+1

UTG calls $10, Hero calls $10, UTG+2 calls, folds to the button who jacks it to $60, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, hero calls, UTG+1 calls. (POT: $300)

FLOP: [10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]: SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets 180, UTG+2 folds, Button calls, everyone folds. (POT: $660)

TURN: [J /images/graemlins/spade.gif]: Hero bets $450, Villian Folds.

The turn card blew and I figured I might be beaten with a flush or a set of jacks but I would have to call an all in raise. I was trying to bet him out if he had a pair with a flush spade.

In retrospect, I'm thinking I would've made a lot more if I had checked to the button and trap the field of callers for a big Check-Raise. But maybe this was the right play since you shouldn't slowplay or give out free cards in a pot this large from that preflop action.

emil3000
12-10-2005, 07:31 AM
No guarantee he'll bet it for you in this multiway pot, button raise means a wide range, and you are at risk to free cards. Overpairs will come anyway. I'd bet more on the flop, otherwise fine.

12-10-2005, 07:54 AM
win the big pots fast. U have to bet, and bet big.The bigger the bet the more it looks like a bluff. with that sive bet some one with a flush draw would only have to getanother 240 in after the call to make ti worth it. Of course u r redrawing to a house so this line of thinking is probably no good in this situation. How ever it looks like the thred could use another post.

xorbie
12-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Don't lead like a pussy in this spot. A checkraise would be not great either, just lead pot.

Bukem_
12-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Unless button is a nit, its a mistake to think he only has a big pp when he jacks it up preflop.

ninjia3x
12-10-2005, 03:33 PM
pot the flop...

or...if button has a habit of doing a cont. bet, C/R te flop big