PDA

View Full Version : First Live Tourney

MazMan
07-15-2003, 11:00 AM
I've been playing online for about a year now. In addition to playing SL and NL, I started out at the 5+.5 single tables at Paradise, eventually playing the 100+9s. I moved to UB and have played heads up, 6 player, 10 player and multi table tournaments. I have not, however, played any re-buy tournaments. I'm heading up to play in a 50 person $23 entry fee tourney with rebuys. I was wondering if anyone could give any insight as to what to expect, especially comparing online to live tournaments. Thanks.

gunboat
07-15-2003, 08:49 PM
You didn't say if the live tourney was limit or no limit. So here is what I like to do.

Play only AA or KK until the blinds pass, then re-buy (chip leader!).

You will see very loose play during the re-buy period with frequent all-ins if it is no limit. I play only premium hands and good draws if in late position and can see the flop cheap. Wait for the right time and try to snap off one of the more aggressive players. Re-load immediately if you fall below the re-buy limit - you want plenty of ammo. With a little luck and some decent cards you can be in good position when the re-buy ends. Then start getting aggressive against the smaller stacks and the more passive opponents - you should know by then who they are. Continue to look for a way to snap off the aggressive ones.

Watch for people who change gears as the blinds go up. They are the dangerous ones.