PDA

View Full Version : Majoring in History-nsfw pic to help you answer

12-10-2005, 05:44 AM
I basically picked business as my major cause it made the most sense. I mean, i'm not a film student kinda guy, never wanted to be an engineer, etc. But the more i think about it the more I realize wherever I get hired won't care what major I had, rather if I can do the job. Since realizing that, I've begun to think I would really enjoy a history major because it has always been my favorite/best subject. Can i attend law school/get a nromal job with this major tho? anyone w/ that major help out the frosh please /images/graemlins/grin.gif

this one has been posted before, but i dont care its my favorite;

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7523/lindseylohan1vn.jpg

Jack of Arcades
12-10-2005, 05:49 AM
History major? Uh, you could be a prof. And uh, yeah. Prof. Dunno about law school.

Dynasty
12-10-2005, 05:51 AM
This may not be helpful, but a lot of journalists think a history major is better for journalists than a journalism or writing major.

Also, that picture is plenty safe for work.

12-10-2005, 05:51 AM
No idea...

Nice picture /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12-10-2005, 05:58 AM
apparently it isn't, i got *ed for a similar pic (although it was way bigger and more boobage was a bit more ample) when i didn't "nsfw" it.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, that picture is plenty safe for work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg
12-10-2005, 05:59 AM
People like you to toe the line intellectually, even if it means nothing. They think it makes you look more serious and goal-oriented, and more manageable, and if that's what they're into themselves, it affirms their own life choices and helps get them on your side instead of imagining you in some sense in opposition to them. And some small percent might even think you might have learned something valuable or gained some sort of applicable competency. It also might suggest that you share certain outlooks about life and politics with the people doing the hiring. Or not. It can work both ways. But generally it will work in your favor if you have something very conventional and directly in line with the job you are going for. A business degree will almost always look much better out in the business world than a history degree.

Liberal arts majors are seriously a dime a dozen.

nickg1532
12-10-2005, 06:06 AM
you'll be fine for law school. personally i would recommend doing whatever you enjoy best. i'm not sure about some of the possible ramifications, and other posters will be able to give you more insight into that, at least in terms of jobs. but again, i think doing what you enjoy is important.

Aloysius
12-10-2005, 06:21 AM
Egocidal - have you considered double majoring? I did English and Economics (the first cause I really enjoyed it, the second cause I somewehat enjoyed it but also knew it would help me professionally - my undergrad did not have a Business major).

If not - and you are primarily interested in law school - major in something you enjoy. Law schools care about 2 things - your GPA and your LSAT. Your GPA will be better served when you are studying something you like.

Note: I am mainly responding not due to what you asked, but to lament the loss of Lindsay Lohan. Damn she was [censored]' hot before she got all pasty and skinny and disgusting.

Lindsay Lohan With The Great Rack - RIP,
-AL

iMsoLucky0
12-10-2005, 06:52 AM
I didn't read your post, but that foot in the picture is creeping me out.

tonypaladino
12-10-2005, 07:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah

youtalkfunny
12-10-2005, 07:58 AM
You lost your right to play the "creeping me out" card, when you chose that avatar.

Vavavoom
12-10-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't even noticed that...WTF !!

masse75
12-10-2005, 08:27 AM
In my experience, business majors are generally dime a dozen, and their 'jack of all trades' mentality isn't a real plus. Anyone can pick up business principles...which is why people go back to b-school. Employers are more worried about aptitude and ability to pick up the business concepts quickly.

Employer: So, what skills do you have that suit you for our industry?
Brand X: Well, I'm a business major, so I know about business.
Employer: Next...

12-10-2005, 09:14 AM
I majored in history and got a job in business out of school. Undergrad is normally when you "do what you like." Most people in business get MBAs anyway at some point...so that's where you can hone your business skills. One tip: make sure you take calculus or some kind of quantitative courses undergrad, because that will make it easier to get into business school or pursue any "science" type of graduate program.

-dustyn