PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Viewing: Rashomon

06-02-2002, 12:12 PM
If you haven't seen it in a long time--or if you've never seen it before--rent it and watch. (I wonder; any good video stores in the Vegas area that carry these types of films?) Kurosawa's tale concerns the ways in which we view reality and construct "truth." By the end of the film, we don't know which of the four versions of the crime is the correct one, but that's not the point. Instead, the film shows how subjectivity colors interpretation, making "truth" unknowable.

But, we all know that, don't we?

P.S. Next time you watch Silence of the Lambs, and if you're like me, you watch it every time you stumble across it on TV, note the fairy tale motif if you haven't done so already.

06-02-2002, 02:44 PM
i just rented Hard Eight on the recommendation of a friend. it was just short of a great movie, and was a very good character study. It should be seen because of the excellent, understated performance of Philip Baker Hall.

While we are on the subject of movies another great movie, david mamet's first by the way and maybe his best IMHO, is House of Games. I would be curious about what others thought of this movie.

pat

06-02-2002, 03:38 PM
i appreciate your comments and will try to view your mentioned films. i would argue perception of reality is extremely important both in life general, and poker. in fact, one could view good poker players actively distorting reality of weaker opponents...good post as usual...gl

06-03-2002, 12:39 AM
Am I the only one who hated Silence of the Lambs? I've seen it twice and disliked it even more the second time.

06-03-2002, 12:42 AM
Loved House of Games, but my favorite Mamet movie is The Spanish Prisoner. I enjoyed Heist a lot and Homicide too.