PDA

View Full Version : Educating the fish

clutch
12-10-2005, 01:10 AM
I don't understand why some people think it's funny to talk about ICM and SNGPT at the tables. I mean telling people where to buy SNGPT and laughing about it. Saying "brown trout", etc. in chat. This assclown knew there were other 2+2ers at the table and thought he was being cute. Nobody else at the table was involved in the chat other than to tell him to stfu.

sn= asparaguspee on Party. Not cool.

brimstone1
12-10-2005, 01:18 AM
what level was this at?

DaveKForty7
12-10-2005, 01:21 AM
While we're publicly outing people- msalgado80. Not sure he's a 2p2er or not.

I don't know why you were trying so hard to explain things like ROI to people, but it definitly doesn't help yours, so next time STFU.

roundest
12-10-2005, 01:23 AM
11s. There was one 2+2er that I already recognized, one who responded to the brown trout comment with something like, "yeah, yeah, all county, blah blah blah...NOW STFU", and assclown.

gumpzilla
12-10-2005, 01:54 AM
I still don't really understand why people get their panties in such a bunch about stuff like this. I'm pretty sure the fraction of people whose ears will perk up and lead them off on a quest for poker enlightenment (and for whom that quest will be fruitful) is small. And even if they do, so what? While I'm happy about trying to win when I play, the notion of trying my utmost to keep the unwashed masses uninformed is unappealing to me. This isn't to say I go out of my way to give advice when playing online, but I don't really mind when people do it, at least theoretically.

The main thing that sucks about table coaching in practice is that it frequently makes the person doing it come across as a dick, because there's usually a tone along the lines of "I can't believe how stupid you are you [censored] n00b," and I'm all for fewer people being dicks at the poker table, when possible.

12-10-2005, 01:56 AM
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day;
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life;
but never teach the fish.

bones
12-10-2005, 04:20 AM
The irony is so thick in this thread that you can almost choke on it. You're posting about teaching crappy players...at a site where you learn from better players. Hasn't this ever occured to you?

Do you think it's financially beneficial for a poster who plays at your level to give you tips and advise you on certain lines to take? If anything, there is a greater chance that they'll play you (assuming you're both regulars at that level) than some donk who probably plays twice a week after his wife goes to bed.

I dislike table coaches as much as the next guy, but be very careful when you post on here about "educating the fish", because to someone, you're the fish looking to be educated.

Melchiades
12-10-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Saying "brown trout", etc. in chat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats a problem? To anyone playing the Stars 27 Turbos, plz do tell me if I offend you by throwing out a "sup bro" if I recognize your name. Didn't know people are all cloak and dagger about posting here.

12-10-2005, 11:01 AM
I don't imagine anyone who does not read this forum will understand that "sup bro" outs anyone as being part of the 2+2 brotherhood. It just means that two of the players know each other. Most of them wouldn't even know (or care) what you meant if you said "saw you on 2+2 the other day".

Freudian
12-10-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The main thing that sucks about table coaching in practice is that it frequently makes the person doing it come across as a dick, because there's usually a tone along the lines of "I can't believe how stupid you are you [censored] n00b," and I'm all for fewer people being dicks at the poker table, when possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. It benefits every winning player if losing players enjoy playing poker online.

But male pride combined with the anonymity of the internet always result in a few enjoying being dicks. Unfortunately real life isn't like "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back".

hyde
12-10-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Saying "brown trout", etc. in chat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats a problem? To anyone playing the Stars 27 Turbos, plz do tell me if I offend you by throwing out a "sup bro" if I recognize your name. Didn't know people are all cloak and dagger about posting here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll throw out a "sup" and I often chat if it is someone I know from Atlantic trout. though I don't mention 2+2.
I have only invited a few people to visit 2+2. One was a noobie and one was a guy who was 10 tabling about a year ago.....thought he might have something to teach.....

btw....did you know that guys who are multi-tabling will fold to a big re raise.......

wiggs73
12-10-2005, 01:02 PM
i don't really uderstand why people think this is a big deal. if the 'fish' wanted to get better, they would already have researched topics like ICM, etc. but they haven't and maybe it's because they've never heard of it, but i think that the underlying reason is because they don't care.

i propose that if i were to type "go to twoplustwo.com to learn proper sng strategy" at the beginning of every sng i played, i would never see a noticeable difference in skill level of the player pool as a whole. the reason is that acquiring knowledge and applying it are 2 very different things. many people do the former while only a few do the latter because they're indefferent, lazy, or apathetic about it.

so yeah, long way of saying it doesn't matter... but it doesn't.

and i'm not saying that i like it when people table coach or whatever. it gets on my nerves too... but not because i'm worried about the other 8 players at the table suddenly getting better and taking all my money.

11t
12-10-2005, 01:34 PM
I hate people like this

microbet
12-10-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with a sup bro. I don't often do it more to protect myself from other 2p2ers than from fish.

If someone wants to put on a clinic and teach the table how to play, well, I'm not in love with it, but I certainly don't hate them for it. And, if you can't just chat in a civil manner about your disagreement you should just STFU yourself.

Bones has hit the nail on the head here. Think about the way Joel_ was treated when he said he had a problem with the coaching on this site, and he was being very civil about it.

edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to respond to just you 11t. Just a general comment.

12-10-2005, 02:11 PM
I clicked on this thread hoping for some good tips. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm sure glad the posters here don't mind educating fish like me. That said, table coaches are f'n dicks.

12-10-2005, 02:29 PM
I have the perfect solution. Turn the chat off. I didnt realize we were all kids here and would rather complain than take the high road...speaking of high, GET HIGH and none of this will bother you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

runner4life7
12-10-2005, 04:47 PM
What the hell is your problem? Like did you lose all your tables where this guy was? I saw brown trout because its nice to be "friendly" once in a while to a 2p2er and say hey, but i guess im educating the fish, now when they read brown trout they are like [censored] I should push with <5BB from the button. I feel like your game probably dropped more by you getting angry than any of the players at the table would have gained.