PDA

View Full Version : A stud/8 hand

Vehn
07-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Why not?

$3/$6 on party poker, $.50 ante, $1 bring in. No one is a huge fish.

3rd st:

2h brings it in for $1
8h calls
I call with (7s 3h) 6c
Ts folds
Ks completes to $3.
4d folds
5d folds
The bring in and the 8h calls, I make it $6 and everyone calls.

4th st:

(x x) 2h 2s
(x x) 8h 5h
(7s 3h) 6c Js
(x x) Ks 7h

Its checked to the king who bets and everyone calls.

5th st:

(x x) 2h 2s 5s
(x x) 8h 5h 9d
(7s 3h) 6c Js Ac
(x x) Ks 7h 4c

The bring is still high and checks, and its checked through.

6th st:

(x x) 2h 2s 5s 6h
(x x) 8h 5h 9d 5c
(7s 3h) 6c Js Ac 8d
(x x) Ks 7h 4c Kc

The kings bets, the bring in folds, the 8h raises, I 3-bet, the kings caps, and the 8h calls it.

7th st:

(x x) 8h 5h 9d 5c (x)
(7s 3h) 6c Js Ac 8d (7c)
(x x) Ks 7h 4c Kc (x)

The kings bet out again, the 8h just calls, I raise, and both call. I thought this was somewhat interesting in many streets.

bugstud
07-15-2003, 12:42 AM
I'm not sure on 4th with 3 4&5's dead, but once you hit the A it's to the river you go. Given that it's party I like the play.

Easy E
07-15-2003, 09:56 AM
No one is a huge fish.

**Were they little fish?

3rd st:

2h brings it in for $1
8h calls
I call with (7s 3h) 6c
Ts folds
Ks completes to $3.
4d folds
5d folds

4th st:

(x x) 2h 2s
(x x) 8h 5h
(7s 3h) 6c Js
(x x) Ks 7h

Its checked to the king who bets and everyone calls.

*** No problem here, though I'd be a little nervous about the deuces, since they called preflop raises
5th st:

(x x) 2h 2s 5s
(x x) 8h 5h 9d
(7s 3h) 6c Js Ac
(x x) Ks 7h 4c

** what the heck are the 2's doing? And why didn't you bet your Ace? Did you see them as getting sucked it to worse draws? Or didn't you want to face any raises?
6th st:

(x x) 2h 2s 5s 6h
(x x) 8h 5h 9d 5c
(7s 3h) 6c Js Ac 8d
(x x) Ks 7h 4c Kc

The kings bets, the bring in folds (*THERE'S a fish!), the 8h raises, I 3-bet, the kings caps, and the 8h calls it.

** Does the 8 have you beat here? Or have redraws and isn't thinking about your 6 (well, 7)?

7th st:

(x x) 8h 5h 9d 5c (x)
(7s 3h) 6c Js Ac 8d (7c)
(x x) Ks 7h 4c Kc (x)

The kings bet out again, the 8h just calls, I raise, and both call. I thought this was somewhat interesting in many streets.

** Certainly was. I put the 8 on a set or maybe a straight. Kings, I can't put on a hand other than a house, trying to get half a bet out of the 8.

** Enlighten the idiot, please?

Vehn
07-15-2003, 10:47 AM
bugstud: You think I have a fold on 4th closing the action here in an already big pot? Or are you talking about 3rd? I agree that street is more debatable.

Easy E: On 6th st I can't be beat for low, and unless he's a complete lunatic he can't catch a low that beats me on 7th, so my plays there are fairly automatic. I think all my opponents in this hand played it terribly but I know the results. But yes I agree that the bring-in in this hand is nuts /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif which makes my reraise on 3rd look really good. I don't think betting on 5th st really accomplishes much but am willing to listen to ideas.

Easy E
07-15-2003, 11:26 AM
"Easy E: On 6th st I can't be beat for low, and unless he's a complete lunatic he can't catch a low that beats me on 7th, so my plays there are fairly automatic."

2 deuces, 2 fours, 1 Ace are out along with the four 5's.
Unless you have a misprint, you only have an 87-low and a 76 draw. What about the 8 having an A7 under? Maybe wanting to check-raise, or at least see where you are with the 6A showing on 5th? Not the smartest play, but...

"I don't think betting on 5th st really accomplishes much but am willing to listen to ideas. "
Representing the A-baby-6 hand which it would make sense to checkraise with... giving you a pair of Aces to drive out the Kings AND the deuces... while putting pressure on the 85 draw to make a decision.
Or it represents the 4-flush with 6-low draw, which would drive out most of the smart people.... wait, you're not playing with them, are you?
Did you not WANT people driven out? If not, then does playing for half the pot make sense here?

I think a bet on 5th is required, in order to clarify the hands.

"5th st:

(x x) 2h 2s 5s
(x x) 8h 5h 9d
(7s 3h) 6c Js Ac
(x x) Ks 7h 4c

(x x) 2h 2s 5s 6h
(x x) 8h 5h 9d 5c
(7s 3h) 6c Js Ac 8d
(x x) Ks 7h 4c Kc

The kings bets, the bring in folds (*THERE'S a fish!), the 8h raises, I 3-bet, the kings caps, and the 8h calls it.

7th st:

(x x) 8h 5h 9d 5c (x)
(7s 3h) 6c Js Ac 8d (7c)
(x x) Ks 7h 4c Kc (x)"

Well, vehn, it will be interesting to see how bad the other hands were, as you take half of the bigger-than-it-should-have-been pot.

Goodie16
07-15-2003, 01:31 PM
You re-raise on third is ridiculous as there is a good chance that you don't have the best low draw and the cards to make your low are not live.

Fourth street you brick. Exactly why would you countinue with this hand? you have no draw, no hand, nothing. This hand should not have even made it to the forum. It should have been a routine fold on fourth.

Given that you called fourth, the rest of the hand plays itself. Pretty obvious stuff.

Goodie

Easy E
07-15-2003, 02:23 PM
"You re-raise on third is ridiculous as there is a good chance that you don't have the best low draw and the cards to make your low are not live. "

Huh? You rate the bring in as a "good chance" for a better low draw? What, sucking in an 8 and a 6 to draw against them, with the King raising?
The second part of your comment is fairly valid, but what are you talking about with the first part? Granted, a bit aggressive with only a one-way hand, but still....

What if you could get heads up against the King, who doesn't play well evidently? Would you still call it ridiculous?

IN CASE YOU FORGOT:

3rd st:

2h brings it in for $1
8h calls
I call with (7s 3h) 6c
Ts folds
Ks completes to $3.
4d folds
5d folds

4th st:

(x x) 2h 2s
(x x) 8h 5h
(7s 3h) 6c Js
(x x) Ks 7h

"Fourth street you brick. Exactly why would you countinue with this hand? you have no draw, no hand, nothing. This hand should not have even made it to the forum. It should have been a routine fold on fourth."

Now, I can go with this comment if the other two hands hadn't callled. However, how weak are they to not raise here? Given the makeup of the players, I don't know if "routine" is a word I'd use here.

Vehn
07-15-2003, 02:49 PM
You re-raise on third is ridiculous as there is a good chance that you don't have the best low draw and the cards to make your low are not live.

I think there's an excellent chance I have the best low draw as the bring in could have called the completion very light and I'm obviously ahead of the 8 that limped, and its not like I'm exactly handing money to the pair of kings in a 4-way stud/8 pot.

Fourth street you brick. Exactly why would you countinue with this hand? you have no draw, no hand, nothing.

The reason I took one off on 4th while completing the action when the suspected better low also bricked is because I was getting 12:1. The (x x) 8h 5h next to me only checked and called. He may have paired the 5, he may be on a flush draw with no low, who knows, the point being is he didn't check raise or bet on 4th in an attempt to drive me out - so its possible I'm still in the lead for low anyways.

But thanks for letting me know this hand isn't worthy of being posted here, I appreciate that. Welcome to 2+2 and I look forward to your 3rd post.

Nukid
07-15-2003, 04:55 PM
I don't know about the reraise on 3rd being "ridiculous", but it is questionable. You're hand doesn't have much high potential, and 4 of the low cards you could use are out. That being said, once you've raised on third, taking one off on fourth for one bet is pretty automatic (as you said twelve to 1) Although it was cheap, two more of your low cards have dropped. I think either checking or betting the A would have been fine on fifth, although i might have check-raised the A, which would have had the same results as you. Sixth and seventh were relatively straight forward, and I would have played them the same.

Andy B
07-15-2003, 06:11 PM
While I do love the old limp/re-raise, it is a little dubious in this spot. There really isn't any reason that the bring-in can't have a better low hand than you. At low limits, a lot of folks will just call with three to a Six (or better) because they don't want to put in a lot of money and then catch a Nine. I'd like your play a lot better if your hand were more coordinated and/or there weren't a Four and a Five out. On the other hand, it seems to me a that a significant portion of your overall gameplan involves convincing your opposition that you're crazy, and this might be a good way to do it.

I think peeling on fourth street is fine, especially since your call closes the action. I'd consider betting fifth street, but checking is probably just as good. Capping sixth street is good. You are laying 2:1, and you are more than a 2:1 favorite even if he has a live draw to an 85. I would probably have only called on the river, though.

Goodie16
07-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Sorry, I may have been a bit harsh in my first post. Didn't mean to offend. I still stand by what I said though. Let me Quote Ray Zee:

"2 6 7 is the type of hand that mediocre players lost a lot of money with. Notice that this hand not only is rough but also has neither straight nor flush potential. Hands like 2 6 7 should frequently be discarded, especially for a raise in very high ante games and particularly when there is a high and another low out. This hand has very little equity, and it theoretically will lose money on all rounds of betting."

Now I know you had 3 6 7, which has slightly more straight potential, but that's nulled by the fact that your straight cards were fairly dead.

I understand odds, but since you should barely even play this hand on third, when you catch one of the worst possible cards for the hand on fourth, 12-1 is not enough considering the very real possibility that you could make a low draw on fifth that on one hand may be the second best low draw if the bring in catches low, or could cost you multiple bets if the 85 makes a low.

Didn't mean to discourage you from posting on here. I hope this explanation is a little more thorough.

Goodie

DanZ
07-16-2003, 01:01 PM
"No one is a huge fish"

Well, maybe, but someone is way overplaying their hand, especially on 3rd. 763 missing a 4,5, and 8, and with the 8 presumably having 2 other low cards...yuck. THe king is almost certainly not bluffing, so you have a bad low draw, competing for half the pot against a real high hand.

When you and the 8 both appear make an 8 low, are you aware that your 8 low is very bad? Also, the king is not screwing around, either - he almost ceratinly has 3 kings now. This means you want to see the end as cheaply as possible, unless by some miravcle you can knock out the 8, but you can't.

Dan Z.

DanZ
07-16-2003, 01:11 PM
I apologize, I misread the boards on 6th, and thought the 8 caught a 4, not a 5. Yes, you are correct to raise and reraise on both 6th, as the 8 looks like a high hand (maybe), and you are sure to be ahead on 6th. On 7th, it's close, but I would raise also.

Dan Z.

Vehn
07-16-2003, 02:48 PM
I agree that my 3rd st play is substandard. However think about this. What if I somehow KNEW that the bring-in in this hand did not have a better 3-low than me? Isn't it a clear case for raising then against a mediocre high hand (a likely pair of kings is not the world's greatest hand here) and 2 inferior low draws? But yeah I think I need a better hand than a not-so-live 7 6 3 here for that sort of thing. I rarely make this play by the way.

4th st.. meh. Completing the action as it was I think its OK. Gotta gamble sometimes /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

As it turns out, the 8 had 7-6 in the hole and the K had A-K. The 8 caught his perfect card on 4th st and only checked and called. On 5th he made his 9-high straight and went for a checkraise against the kings (or me) which missed. Neither player improved on the river, and I think the 8's initial call when the kings bet into us is OK, but when I raise, and the kings doesn't reraise he has to know the kings didn't fill and that his straight is good for hi and should clearly make it 3 bets so I can cap. I think the king's played every street poorly except 5th.

And andy I'll bring you a skirt for suggesting not to raise the river /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif