PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone on the internet ever changed your mind about politics?

12-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Just what the title says. Has anyone ever argued you into a corner and forced you to concede that you were wrong?

12-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Yes, I was very much on the fence for the 2000 election until I heard about Bill Hicks on Stile Project. Then through him I discovered Noam Chomsky.

Edit: on the fence = apathetic

superleeds
12-09-2005, 04:57 PM
My mind has been opened to new ideas and new ways at looking at problems due to people on the internet and indeed in this very forum. Sometimes I have changed my stance due to this. If you can make someone think about or even doubt their own opinion, regardless of whether they change their mind, have it reinforced or anywhere between the two, you have performed a great service.

Autocratic
12-09-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm not sure if my mind's ever been drastically changed, but my perspectives have been changed in ways that affected my ideology as a whole.

AngryCola
12-09-2005, 06:07 PM
I've posted this once or twice before, but it's worth posting again:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/AngryCola/frontpage.jpg

Darryl_P
12-09-2005, 06:21 PM
I had never heard of anarcho-capitalism before visiting forums, and while I consider it far-fetched (requiring libertarian fairies to keep the peace), there are many points it addresses which are important and eye-opening IMO.

Forums are also a fun way to learn new facts and the debates train you to be precise in your wording. They can even motivate you to do research yourself sometimes, which in itself is a plus.

Cyrus
12-10-2005, 03:45 AM
When BruceZ justified mathematically the war in Iraq, it changed my mind about the war 180 degrees. Then, MMMMMM's proof of the existence of WMDs changed my position a further 180 degrees.

An amazing journey.

Borodog
12-10-2005, 12:25 PM
I used to be a raving anti-gun nut. And then I had a debate with a guy on the internet, and he utterly, totally destroyed me logically and factually. So I changed my mind. Now I own several guns and usually carry.

Autocratic
12-10-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to be a raving anti-gun nut. And then I had a debate with a guy on the internet, and he utterly, totally destroyed me logically and factually. So I changed my mind. Now I own several guns and usually carry.

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't truly changed your mind until you shoot someone.

InchoateHand
12-10-2005, 06:53 PM
I use to think that there many good reasons to hold opposing viewpoints to my own. After a decade of internet politics, I can no longer sustain this view.

vulturesrow
12-12-2005, 12:22 AM
This is the only internet forum on which I debate politics. It has changed my mind on some small things but moved me off the fence on others. The most valuable part of the engaging in debate on here has done for me is to really examine why I believe what I believe. Their are a lot of very intelligent individuals on here and I think one would have to be a fool to discard what they out of hand. At the very least, I can better appreciate why people believe what they believe. Maybe I am in the minority here but I think this forum has helped my political views evolve and perhaps, dare I say it, become more nuanced. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bholdr
12-12-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

This is the only internet forum on which I debate politics. It has changed my mind on some small things but moved me off the fence on others. The most valuable part of the engaging in debate on here has done for me is to really examine why I believe what I believe. Their are a lot of very intelligent individuals on here and I think one would have to be a fool to discard what they out of hand. At the very least, I can better appreciate why people believe what they believe. Maybe I am in the minority here but I think this forum has helped my political views evolve and perhaps, dare I say it, become more nuanced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, vulture... I'll have you voting green party and wearing tie-dye hemp ponchos eventually.

[ QUOTE ]
At the very least, I can better appreciate why people believe what they believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... some people are just plain nuts. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

lol... but i totally aggree with your post. poker players tend to be an intelligent, opinionated, articulate, and diverse group. this is, IMO, the best politics forum on the net that's not directly affiliated with one set of opinions or ideologies, and the discussions here have influenced my veiws a lot.

WillMagic
12-12-2005, 02:37 AM
Well, I've never necessarily been argued into a corner, but that's because I don't do too much arguing.

But in terms of people on the internet changing my mind about politics...yes. PVN and the Catallarchy (www.catallarchy.net) gang have profound impacts on my political philosophy.

Will

lehighguy
12-13-2005, 01:24 AM
I've had my mind changed over in the science and philosophy forum much more then here in politics.

I will say this helps me refine my understanding and arguements greatly.

John Feeney
12-14-2005, 02:06 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/AngryCola/frontpage.jpg

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif