PDA

View Full Version : Moses (Custer) hand #1: Isn't this an automatic push pre-flop?

12-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (2 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Hero (t2410)
BB (t7590)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t425</font>, BB calls t350.

Flop: (t925) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t1600</font>, BB calls t310.

Turn: (t2835) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2835) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2835

12-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Not an automatic push. You have a lot of chips compared to BB. You should not be so quick to act HU

12-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I don't play the 215s, but I can't see pushing preflop with 16 BB and this hand.

bigt439
12-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Are these seriously going to be the hands coming out of this "project"?

12-09-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I know that this is not the best hand to discuss, but I didn't have time to look at all the HHs he sent. Hope to find more interesting ones as time progresses.
2. I am still learning. Aren't we all?

12-09-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not an automatic push. You have a lot of chips compared to BB. You should not be so quick to act HU

[/ QUOTE ]

Then, why call all his chips on the flop?

bigt439
12-09-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I know that this is not the best hand to discuss, but I didn't have time to look at all the HHs he sent. Hope to find more interesting ones as time progresses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I'm not trying to be a dick, but with 16 bb's here it is almost never right to push; it's just such a basic concept that if these are the hands that will come out of this project the only person that will really benefit is maybe you. If that's the case you'd be better of participating in forum discussion or reading a few books first. Again, sorry to come off like an ass, but if there are going to be lots of these hands they should be at least discussion worthy.

12-09-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I'm not trying to be a dick, but with 16 bb's here it is almost never right to push; it's just such a basic concept that if these are the hands that will come out of this project the only person that will really benefit is maybe you. If that's the case you'd be better of participating in forum discussion or reading a few books first. Again, sorry to come off like an ass, but if there are going to be lots of these hands they should be at least discussion worthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are saying. The title might have killed the real question I wanted to ask. I, ofcourse know that this is not an automatic push. Even though my status says I am a newbie (I don't post that often), I have been a consistent winner at 50s.

Now, my question is: "why did he call of all his chips on the flop, then?"

12-09-2005, 01:40 PM
You should not call all his chips on the flop.

12-09-2005, 01:48 PM
The reason he called is probably because such a large overbet indicates weakness. He would most likely play it slower if he hit the flop, and this looks like an attempt to take the pot away.

However, I don't like the call much. You could easily be a long way behind, and never very far in front. There must be better spots to get your money in than this.

Custer
12-09-2005, 09:25 PM
I think this was a great hand to post. While I think pushing pre-flop is pretty bad, what's wrong with asking that question to get opinions? And I think the flop play was VERY debateable. Even if I'm ahead, I'm not ahead by much. Any straight draw has lots of outs. But why did he bet so much? Because any bet committed me anyway and he was trying to protect his hand? Very possibly, but a lot of players don't think about their opponents' stacks like that, and the only hands on this flop which would require this type of protection are a 9 or a low pocket pair. I think I made a mistake here. I think folding was slightly better, but I'm not sure. I'd be very interested in hearing other thoughts on the flop play.

moses

curtains
12-09-2005, 09:27 PM
For what its worth, open pushing is clearly +EV, so you simply have to demonstrate that another play is more +EV, or else pushing is correct.

Custer
12-09-2005, 10:05 PM
You have an Ace in a 2 way game, can you really play it in a way PF that is -EV, unless of course you fold? Pushing is +EV, calling is +EV, and raising any amount in between as well. Which is best? I'm not entirely sure, but it seems intuitively that better can be found than laying 16-1 in a spot where if you get called, you will almost certainly be 36% or less to win. Thanks a lot for making me think about that in those terms. I wish I could come up with more. What do you think?

moses

curtains
12-09-2005, 10:24 PM
I would usually just make a normal-small sized raise to lkie 350-425.

12-09-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But why did he bet so much? Because any bet committed me anyway and he was trying to protect his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet similarly if I had a pair on the flop. If the opponent calls with overs, then it's a mistake. Even if you had two overs (6 outs) makes it 3.2:1 making it a wrong call. Correct me If I am wrong.