PDA

View Full Version : A question about semi-bluffing

12-09-2005, 12:46 PM
PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, [TSPECIALAMPERSANDA]Maximus calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, [TSPECIALAMPERSANDA]Maximus checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, [TSPECIALAMPERSANDA]Maximus folds, SB calls.

River: (4.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

On the turn, am I being too aggressive here by semi-bluffing into such a large field? Also, despite the strength of my draw, is the risk of a reraise too high? This sort of situation comes up often for me. Nobody shows much interest on the flop, I pick up a strong draw on the turn, and my natural inclination is to bet, but I'm totally unsure about how profitable of a play this usually is.

12-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Rarely semi-bluff in these games. In this hand you have a huge draw but the pot is tiny. Just check and call and hope that many people will call when you make your hand.

milesdyson
12-09-2005, 12:52 PM
on the turn, the field is too large to bluff out and too small to assume you'll get enough calls for your bet to be for value.

@bsolute_luck
12-09-2005, 04:12 PM
"woo hoo" for a bet on the flop /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eeegah
12-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Betting a flop with 3 outs worth of backdoor draws? Er, why?

Catsailor
12-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Grunch:
I think you should check/call this turn. You have a good draw but the pot is small(2.5bb) Even if you call it 4 A outs, 4 9 outs and 7 more fl outs to 3rd best flush. That's a generous 15 outer. A ck/call will give you more pot odds when it gets back to you against someone who caught a K or a cheaper chance to catch your outs on the river. IMO Getting raised here would suck.

EDIT: I think betting out on this flop would have been crazy too!