PDA

View Full Version : To raise or not to raise PF with AKo

12-09-2005, 03:36 AM
I am extremely confused with this issue. This may be a leak, but I am driven by Pot equity to play the hell out of AK. When I see that hand, I rock and roll with it PF. I have read that it is correct to 3-bet and raise with AK because of the edge it has. But I read in HPFAP in the loose games section that you should not always raise with AK and AQ when there are a lot of limpers infront of you. I have focusing on post flop stuff for so long, that I needed to look at some of my PF game, and after looking at some hands, I am seeing AK giving me some trouble.

This is a hand that is indicative of the kind of situation I am unsure of how to handel it. In these loose games should you ever limp with AK? The table here is fairly loose with known Cold callers and plenty of limpers. Postflop these players bet and raise a little bit sometimes with poor hands.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (13.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

I reverting to check-call on the river a weak play? My read on this player is broad, as I have seen him CC a few times in an hour session. I was thinking KQ, but JT might be an option given his flop call. But you never know at these limits. Pot was big I had a strong hand.

12-09-2005, 03:38 AM
nh, i dont see anything thats really even questionable here

cold_cash
12-09-2005, 03:45 AM
When people routinely limp hands like KJ and Ax, and cold-call with hands like KQ and AT, you sacrifice lots and lots by not raising before the flop.

In that section of HPFAP the authors are assuming you're in a tough game where those things aren't happening. (And even then I'm still not too keen on limping.)

milesdyson
12-09-2005, 03:47 AM
i hate to put it like this, but there are people on this site who make tons of money playing poker, and you will not find one of them who will tell you to limp this.

Eeegah
12-09-2005, 03:55 AM
The only thing about AKo that's even remotely questionable is whether to cap.

ajm36
12-09-2005, 04:02 AM
Never questionable--always cap

SoftcoreRevolt
12-09-2005, 04:03 AM
The Loose Games in HEPFAP are not like the loose games you are playing here. Raise, and 3 Bet preflop.

Eeegah
12-09-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Never questionable--always cap

[/ QUOTE ]

Say you're in MP3 or something and it's 3-bet to you. SSHE says to muck, although I'd probably cap anyway given that I'm probably buying the button.

Alternatively, consider if it's 3-bet to you and you're in the SB. Discounted price, worst position.

@bsolute_luck
12-09-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The table here is fairly loose with known Cold callers and plenty of limpers. Postflop these players bet and raise a little bit sometimes with poor hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

lets translate this shall we:
"people like to donate their money to my bankroll willingly with worse hands and i am very happy about this." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nh.

ajm36
12-09-2005, 07:48 AM
All I know is AKo is one of my top 5 money making hands and top 7 in terms of BB/100---I'm stuffing the box.