PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ earbuds - Shure E5C vs others

Munkster
12-09-2005, 03:06 AM
HI, I am interested in purchasing a pair of earphones for under $500. I'll be using this for listening on the ipod on the go mostly - that's why I narrowed it down to earbuds only.

Have anyone owned or tried the Shure E5C's? How do they compare to older versions? Any other brand/series suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
f

Tron
12-09-2005, 03:19 AM
I have heard that the E5's have too much bass, and most people prefer the E4's. Another good brand to research is Etymotic.

PITTM
12-09-2005, 03:23 AM
shure e4 pros are much better than the e5's. however, i would take a look at the etymotic er-4p or the ultimate ears super fi 5 pros. UE may be the best headphone company in the world, so i suggest giving them a look.

rj

12-09-2005, 03:26 AM
Wow, people buy everyday use headphones (earbuds, even!) that cost upwards of $500?

A quick googling shows some "Ultimate Ears" headphones listed at around $200. Are they worth it? Im skeptical...

PITTM
12-09-2005, 04:04 AM
if something is "everyday use" dont you want it to be good?

ultimate ears UE-10 Pro is $900 dollars and you have to have them custom fit to your ears. while the bottom of their line is the super fi 3 for $99. i would say listen to both and decide if YOU think its worth it, thats what its all about really.

rj

PITTM
12-09-2005, 04:06 AM
ps, see the other thread i started about my new headphone amp for more headphone bliss and excess.

rj

Jack of Arcades
12-09-2005, 04:19 AM
munkster,

I have e3cs and love them. bass is low but I don't listen to much bass-y music. I've heard great things about the e4c's.

Munkster
12-09-2005, 05:17 AM
All,

Thanks for your replies, I looked more into the shure e4 earphones and it seems perfect for my needs.

Thanks again,
f

crosse91
12-09-2005, 05:18 AM
what about the e2's for just walking around campus and plane rides and such?

Tron
12-09-2005, 07:29 AM
For around that price, I would recommend the Etymotic ER-6 or ER-6i headphones. I used to have a pair of ER-6i's and I loved to use them with the foam tips on planes. I could barely hear the engines; it was great.

They are $150 directly from Etymotic and the ER-6i's are white if you want to match an iPod.

tonypaladino
12-09-2005, 08:56 AM
I wish so badly I could buy a nice pair of earbuds. But I lose them or break them all the time, so I can't. Right now I am using a pair of sennheiser earbuds, which are petty fair quality and might just be the best for the under $25 range.

Tron
12-09-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wish so badly I could buy a nice pair of earbuds. But I lose them or break them all the time, so I can't. Right now I am using a pair of sennheiser earbuds, which are petty fair quality and might just be the best for the under $25 range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the reason I said I used to have a pair of ER-6i's is because I lost them about 6 months ago. I hate myself.

Analyst
12-09-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
munkster,

I have e3cs and love them. bass is low but I don't listen to much bass-y music. I've heard great things about the e4c's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the E3cs as well, and never found a problem with the bass (though I do have the eq turned up a bit on the iPod). Are you sure that you have a good fit in your ear? I get the best results with the foam plugs.

Homer
12-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Someone explain earbuds to me. I just got a Nano and the earbuds hurt like a mofo. I was about to say the hell with it when I realized I could put in a different set of headphones (duh). So, now I'm wearing some crappy airline headphones that actually go over my ear. Now I'm comfortable and the sound quality is exactly the same.

J-Lo
12-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Get the soft tip, rubber/foam earbuds. A little pricey, but if u listen to music regularly, definetely worth it. The ipod stock ear "buds" are HUGE, they do hurt 'cuz they are made of plastic+metal=ouch. I have the $30 sony ones, worth every penny.

asofel
12-09-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone explain earbuds to me. I just got a Nano and the earbuds hurt like a mofo. I was about to say the hell with it when I realized I could put in a different set of headphones (duh). So, now I'm wearing some crappy airline headphones that actually go over my ear. Now I'm comfortable and the sound quality is exactly the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

good earbuds will fit well, block out other sounds, and give you a great overall experience...i have some cheap sony earbuds with my nano and they work very well...

Freakin
12-09-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what about the e2's for just walking around campus and plane rides and such?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dislike the E2s. It's worth it for me to go up to the e3 or e4. The e2s are really uncomfortable.