PDA

View Full Version : conscious of heart beat

gorie
12-09-2005, 12:44 AM
i've been having this problem the past week or so, where i am constantly aware of my heart beat. it's really annoying. especially at night lying in bed, and i feel my head/eyes pulsating along with my heart beat, it's hard to relax and fall asleep.

my pulse and beat seem regular, it's just that i'm too conscious of it and it makes me feel weird.

i've read that it can be stress related, has anyone else experienced this ? although it's not like i really have anything to be stressed about, other than the fact that my heart is annoying me. so i don't know.

i'll probably go to the doctor soon i just wonder if there is anything i can do or if i should be worried.?

rohjoh
12-09-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i've been having this problem the past week or so, where i am constantly aware of my heart beat. it's really annoying. especially at night lying in bed, and i feel my head/eyes pulsating along with my heart beat, it's hard to relax and fall asleep.

my pulse and beat seem regular, it's just that i'm too conscious of it and it makes me feel weird.

i've read that it can be stress related, has anyone else experienced this ?

i'll probably go to the doctor soon i just wonder if there is anything i can do or if i should be worried.?

[/ QUOTE ]

This happens to me when I am really stoned.

12-09-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to say that. THC increases heart rate. Coke also does this. If your symtoms aren't drug enduced then I have no idea.

gorie
12-09-2005, 12:51 AM
i have never done drugs.

Matt R.
12-09-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg
12-09-2005, 12:52 AM
People who meditate can often become aware of these things. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it can even be a sign of a strong heart. I used to have a bed that was so creaky that my heartbeat could shake it enough to wake me up.

The head/eyes pulsating isn't good. You may have high blood pressure. See if cutting back on salt helps any. It can lead to high blood pressure and those symptoms. That's what I read, and it is true in my case. Caffeine can do the same thing to me, in excess.

Stress can activate this kinda stuff and the opposite can help alleviate it.

Acupuncturists might say you have an energy blockage. I wouldn't know if it's something that acupuncture can fix or massage.

I'm also not sure if it could signal a stressed or malfunctioning heart. Just that there's not a definitive answer about it always being bad or good. Can't hurt to check it out with the doc.

iMsoLucky0
12-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Sounds like you are horny to me.

gorie
12-09-2005, 12:55 AM
they took my blood pressure a couple weeks ago when i was at the doctor for my carpal tunnel problems, and everything was normal then, so i don't think it is that.

but who knows.

my energy does feel pretty blocked up though !!! stupid energy blockage.

12-09-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i have never done drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know whether to congratulate you or tell you what you're missing. That's pretty impressive so congratulations. Sorry for straying form the topic.

Blarg
12-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Blood pressure can go up or down very quickly and by quite a lot. Sometimes it can be from very subterranean stressors you didn't even know were bothering you much, let alone hitting you really hard. Caffeine can definitely do it too. I've gone to diners that have blood pressure machines and measured myself before and after eating and guzzling two or three cups of coffee, and damn, it has spiked my blood pressure up like 30 points.

12-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Pressure build up. How many times do you "release" the pressure per day? Try doubling it.

craig r
12-09-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
they took my blood pressure a couple weeks ago when i was at the doctor for my carpal tunnel problems, and everything was normal then, so i don't think it is that.

but who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why you being conscious of it would in anyway make it a health issue. Not, that you thought it was. I am sure it is in your head. Now, trying to become unconscious of it, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe breathing exercises when you are going to bed. I know this would seem to make you concentrate on it even more, but it might relax you as well. You might also be able to do Progressive Muscle Relaxation (I think that is what it is called) while you are trying to sleep.

craig

LBJ
12-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Speaking of being stoned with this, I drank 2 monsters the day I smoked a shitload of weed. That was bad, I was about to take myself to the hospital because I was terrified...

astroglide
12-09-2005, 01:03 AM
i had a period of time where this annoyed me a lot too

i wonder if it will start happening again

Blarg
12-09-2005, 01:04 AM
P.S. Blood pressure can also rise from fluid retention, and from pressure in the abdomen. That's why blood pressure drugs often are diuretics.

Just started to wonder if the fluid retention women have around their periods ever serves to raise their blood pressure.

gorie
12-09-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Blood pressure can go up or down very quickly and by quite a lot. Sometimes it can be from very subterranean stressors you didn't even know were bothering you much, let alone hitting you really hard. Caffeine can definitely do it too. I've gone to diners that have blood pressure machines and measured myself before and after eating and guzzling two or three cups of coffee, and damn, it has spiked my blood pressure up like 30 points.

[/ QUOTE ]
hm good to know, i guess i didn't realize blood pressure can change that quickly. i never really thought about it.
i don't drink caffeine so i don't think that is the cause either.

gorie
12-09-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i had a period of time where this annoyed me a lot too

i wonder if it will start happening again

[/ QUOTE ]

it just went away on its own ?

astroglide
12-09-2005, 01:20 AM
yeah. it went on for weeks. i would forget about it and it would come back, etc. but then i guess i forgot about it totally, because this is the first thing to remind me of it happening. i'm also 100% not the kind of dude that takes it easy or forgets things, so i think you should be hopeful.

Stuey
12-09-2005, 01:42 AM
I'm going to guess anxiety.

Cure = Exercise no sugar no caffiene

Why does the cure always seem so nasty? Exercise is fun but cutting the others out is hard.

InchoateHand
12-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Consciousness of heartbeat is in NOT necessarily causally related to increases in blood pressure. To those who notice consciousness of their heartbeat when stoned, that has little to do with blood pressure.

Heart rate and blood pressure are not the same thing geniuses.

Marijuana, especially, causes a mild increase in blood pressure, but chronic usage tends to produce orthostatic HYPOtension, ie, the feeling of fainting when standing up. This is irrespective of the heart rate increases that tend to occur immediately following ingestion.

astroglide
12-09-2005, 01:56 AM
no caffeine is a good point, i can't remember if it was happening before i quit caffeine but i haven't had any in years

ChipWrecked
12-09-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Consciousness of heartbeat is in NOT necessarily causally related to increases in blood pressure. To those who notice consciousness of their heartbeat when stoned, that has little to do with blood pressure.

Heart rate and blood pressure are not the same thing geniuses.

Marijuana, especially, causes a mild increase in blood pressure, but chronic usage tends to produce orthostatic HYPOtension, ie, the feeling of fainting when standing up. This is irrespective of the heart rate increases that tend to occur immediately following ingestion.

[/ QUOTE ]

We used to call that a headrush, and it was a lot of what we smoked weed for. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
12-09-2005, 02:14 AM
I had a Reverend Jim flashback just there.

DarkForceRising
12-09-2005, 02:39 AM
This is why I have not smoked weed in eight years. I can't enjoy myself because I am so focused on the feeling that my heart is going to pop out of my chest.

Every night when I go to bed I notice this and it sucks. My dad took my blood pressure recently and said my heart rate was is if I just finished jogging.

In reality, I had only walked up the stairs from his basement after having a cigarette. Hmmmm.....

12-09-2005, 04:49 AM
He's twitterpated

Brainwalter
12-09-2005, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is why I have not smoked weed in eight years. I can't enjoy myself because I am so focused on the feeling that my heart is going to pop out of my chest.

Every night when I go to bed I notice this and it sucks. My dad took my blood pressure recently and said my heart rate was is if I just finished jogging.

In reality, I had only walked up the stairs from his basement after having a cigarette. Hmmmm.....

[/ QUOTE ]

How fat are you?

eviljeff
12-09-2005, 11:03 AM
I had a bout with anxiety a couple years back and this was one of the symptoms I experienced. it was weird though because the time it came on was the most chill time in my life. the only thing I was anxious about were these anxiety symptoms. the general remedies for anxiety are balanced diet, exercise, talking about your feelings, etc., but yeah basically it just went away on its own.

chesspain
12-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Link (http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/poe/works/tt_heart.html)

diebitter
12-09-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i've read that it can be stress related, has anyone else experienced this ? although it's not like i really have anything to be stressed about, other than the fact that my heart is annoying me. so i don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored]! I can hear mine now! Curse you, Gorie!

DarkForceRising
12-09-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How fat are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. In fact, outwardly one would think I'm in good shape which scares me even more. Walking time bomb, probably.

gorie
12-09-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
it's not just that i can hear it, i can feel it pound all over my body and makes me feel like it's pounding too hard to be able to feel that. like normally you don't feel your head or fingers throbbing along with your heart. and then that's all i can think about is my heart beat, i can't ignore it because it's too strong.! i feel like it shakes me .

DarkForceRising
12-09-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
it's not just that i can hear it, i can feel it pound all over my body and makes me feel like it's pounding too hard to be able to feel that. like normally you don't feel your head or fingers throbbing along with your heart. and then that's all i can think about is my heart beat, i can't ignore it because it's too strong.! i feel like it shakes me .

[/ QUOTE ]

Short of going to the doctor, you might try running a loud fan while you sleep. That helps take my mind off of it as well as drowning out my noisy neighbors.

Alobar
12-09-2005, 02:45 PM
I have this all the time, my eyes or veins dont pulse or anything, but I am aware of my heartbeate and it kinda freaks me out. Guess im scared by my own mortality...anyway, I just lay in a different position until I can find one where I cant hear/feel it.

diebitter
12-09-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One question. Have you had disrupted/significantly reduced sleep lately? I sometimes get what you describe, albeit on for a few minutes at a time after I do an all-night seesion and just miss a whole night's sleep.

Whatever, go to the doc!

4_2_it
12-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Just try to think about something else. You need to distract yourself. Find a very happy memory and think about that.

gorie
12-09-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One question. Have you had disrupted/significantly reduced sleep lately? I sometimes get what you describe, albeit on for a few minutes at a time after I do an all-night seesion and just miss a whole night's sleep.

Whatever, go to the doc!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i've had trouble sleeping this whole month probably. at first it was because my CTS would bother me a lot at night and wake me up with tingly hands etc. those symptoms recently went away, ... but my new heart annoyance took it's place.

basically it's always something, and i am probably going to die soon.

hold me.

MtnDave
12-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Have your ears checked, and have any ear wax cleaned out.
Sometimes ear wax can get lodged in and connect a near-surface blood vessel to parts of the inner ear.

MrTrik
12-09-2005, 09:58 PM
gorie -

I've had this a few times. Though I can't say for sure, it does seem to be when I'm stressed a bit. I only feel it when trying to get to sleep or when I just wake up.

I found that certain positions, sleep positions that is, alleviate it and others make it worse. I found adding a pillow to put my arm around when sleeping on my side seemed to help me. YMMV.

Good luck with this. I would assume since you've recently seen a Dr. for your CTS that your blood pressure is under control. I know this can affect things quite a bit. Mine is fine so that wasn't it for me.

diebitter
12-10-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever, go to the doc!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i've had trouble sleeping this whole month probably. at first it was because my CTS would bother me a lot at night and wake me up with tingly hands etc. those symptoms recently went away, ... but my new heart annoyance took it's place.

basically it's always something, and i am probably going to die soon.

hold me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, being held by me would be too much for your heart, I can't be responsible for that /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, short term you need to sleep - get some pills from the doc maybe - just 2 nights of good sleep should help you a lot.

Long term - you need to do something to de-stress; exercise, yoga, avoid OOT(!), get a calming hobby.

You take care now - I'll worry.