PDA

View Full Version : My DSL service sucks

trevor
12-09-2005, 12:26 AM
I have two computers running on a Linksys router (not wireless). However, I have had problems w/ it ever since we moved. I'll come home from work and it won't work i.e. no websites will open, etc. If I reset my router and power off/on the dsl and basically restart everything, it runs like a champ. I don't know a whole lot about this but am sick of power off/on everytime it doesn't work. It ALWAYS works after I reset the router and DSL.

wonderwes
12-09-2005, 01:49 AM
You need to call your phone company. Sounds like their is resistance on your DSL line. Thats why a simple power cycle will work. You will need to call your phone company and open a ticket. They will try to troubleshoot over the phone with you, but what you need is a technican to come out to do a feed test on your phone line.

Also sometimes with DSL, the physical distance from your home to the telephone CO can be too far. DSL has a 3 mile limit from the CO. The further away it is, the weaker the signal. You might be set for a higher speed DSL service, but the distance limits might be too far. If the technican says the line is fine, you can get a lower dsl speed rate and that might affect it.

Lastly, you might have a crappy dsl router from the phone company. You should consider requesting them to replace it.

deleuze1
12-09-2005, 02:09 AM
Did you flash the router with an updated firmware? If so, that can be your problem. Revert to the original.

trevor
12-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Does the possibility exist that my router is set up wrong? That is, the IP address assigned to each computer is the same? Under network connection details, it says something to the effect of 'lease expires in ..........' and gives date/time. WTF does that mean? The randomly assigned IP will be re-assigned then? In the past when I have called support the first thing they have me do is unhook the router so I am thinking I may have something screwed up on my end.