PDA

View Full Version : Where do you want to sit in relation to different types of players?

jwvdcw
12-08-2005, 11:57 PM
I know that this surely has been discussed in general terms before, but I wanted to discuss it with respect specifically to 10 person NLHE tourneys. Suppose that you're the second person to pick their seat at a table. Where would you sit in relation to the following:

1. Bad player who will call with suspect hands, aggressive with average hands. In short, a LAG through all stage of tourney.

2. TAG. Understands gap. Very aggressive late. Passive early.

3. Defends his blinds too much when they've been raised late. Hard to steal from.

4. Player who loves to slowplay and checkraise at all stages of tourney.

Custer
12-09-2005, 01:55 AM
I thought about this a little the other day and came to this conclusion: I think looking to see who is already sitting, then mentally categorizing them (whether this be through memory or from notes) is a poor use of your brain resources while playing. I decided my brain power was better used observing the games that were actually going on and thinking about my playing decisions. If you are not currently playing 10 games at a time I would definetely spend the time and brainpower you might spend picking seats on playing another game.

Just my 2 cents, I'm curious to hear other opinions on this as well.

moses

12-09-2005, 04:26 AM
I think proper seat selection can have an influence on your ROI. You should sit to the right of people who are too tight/don't defend their blinds. But if they often fold their small blind whent he blinds are big, you might want to sit to their left. I'd like to have loose players to my right, and I'm not sure where I want to sitin relation to 2+2ers (tight early, aggressive late, etc.). Because they don't only push all the time in late game, but they also call me with less-than-good hands, when I'm in a spot where I'm pushing any two. Because of this my push range is tighter than you'd expect against them.

jwvdcw
12-09-2005, 02:14 PM
bump for more thoughts.

pineapple888
12-09-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know that this surely has been discussed in general terms before, but I wanted to discuss it with respect specifically to 10 person NLHE tourneys. Suppose that you're the second person to pick their seat at a table. Where would you sit in relation to the following:

1. Bad player who will call with suspect hands, aggressive with average hands. In short, a LAG through all stage of tourney.

2. TAG. Understands gap. Very aggressive late. Passive early.

3. Defends his blinds too much when they've been raised late. Hard to steal from.

4. Player who loves to slowplay and checkraise at all stages of tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has come up a lot lately for some reason.

The thing is, STTs are not like ring games, because there are so many different phases. It would take forever to get a truly meaningful statistical read on all those phases, and to judge how to trade off all of those reads to maximize equity.

If you know the players who seem solid throughout, just sit as far away from them as possible, or find another table if too many are already there.

FieryJustice
12-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Obviously the people who dont push much late need to be on your right and the people who fold a lot to pushes need to be to your left. Generally though, you want the "bad" people on your right and the "good," although not optimal, people on your left. As for the clalingstation pushbots, sit on the other side of the table cause they make life hard.

jwvdcw
12-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Pineapple, you say to sit far away from a good player but with a good, solid, TAG, I'd like to sit to his right so I could bully him and avoid being bullied. But usually not directly to his right, especially if he likes to push from BB when everyone folds and SB limps. JHMO, but I could be wrong.

What I'm most unsure of is where to sit in relation to a terrible and loose player. Do I want to be to his left in order to have position because he'll play a lot of hands? Or to his right figuring that hes more willing to call my bets early when I have legit hands?