PDA

View Full Version : Sponsoring a child

Isura
12-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Has anyone done this? I've been looking at world vision. Any other reputable agencies?

TheMainEvent
12-09-2005, 12:03 AM
My mom was sponsoring a child with worldvision, they sent us a picture and would mail out updates frequently then after about 6 months they told us we were getting a new sponsored child because the original one was doing so well that she didn't need sponsorship anymore. Kinda made me wonder if that's just what they told you when the kid dies.

Anyways, they are a very reputable organization for sure, but a part of their work involves distributing bibles/religious education/etc, just so you're aware. Here is a link to find evaluations of all different charities:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/4768.htm

12-09-2005, 12:08 AM
My wife and I sponsor three kids through Compassion. http://www.compassion.com
Great organization and very rewarding.
We found it through Charity Navigator.

OtisTheMarsupial
12-09-2005, 01:48 AM
Or you could sponsor an orangutan.

Sponsorship info (http://www.orangutan.org.au/index.php?id=23)

MelchyBeau
12-09-2005, 01:50 AM
I was thinking of 5 year olds when I first opened this post. OOT has done something to me.

Melch

gamblore99
12-09-2005, 02:15 AM
I have one kid with world vision. They told me 80% money actually reaches child, but the money is kinda pooled in the community. They sent me one letter that someone in charge of him wrote (the english was that of a child though). I dont think I have gotten anything since and dont feel connected wtih the child. I can't even remember his name. I now think of it as a yearly donation kinda thing and don't give to homeless or other causes (unless it is a big disaster).

also, I have stopped caring as much about other people as much and am considering stopping it. So ya.

TheMainEvent
12-09-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have one kid with world vision. They told me 80% money actually reaches child, but the money is kinda pooled in the community. They sent me one letter that someone in charge of him wrote (the english was that of a child though). I dont think I have gotten anything since and dont feel connected wtih the child. I can't even remember his name. I now think of it as a yearly donation kinda thing and don't give to homeless or other causes (unless it is a big disaster).

also, I have stopped caring as much about other people as much and am considering stopping it. So ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think of child sponsorship as more or a marketing/fundraising gimmick than anything. People want to feel like their individual donation is actually saving a life by itself. IMO, if you really want to help out, just find the most efficiently run, most well respected relief organization you can find and give to their general fund, so they won't have the hassle of promising that your money is earmarked for a specific area.

dblgutshot
12-09-2005, 02:26 AM
I'd like to do the 'buy a family a goat' thing.

Cubswin
12-09-2005, 02:28 AM
World Vision Chief Executive Officer: Richard E. Stearns, President Compensation*: $366,479

I always have a hard time giving to charities after reading stuff like this. Before you give to any charity be sure to research them at the BBB

Link for the lazy http://www.give.org/reports/index.asp

Blarg
12-09-2005, 02:35 AM
Sally Struthers has obviously taken a lot of those support a kid donations and bought frozen yoghurt with them.

12-09-2005, 02:57 AM
you want to know the truth about sponsoring a child?

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!

Isura
12-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the comments and links guys. I'll have to do more research into this. Thank you for making me less naive about the issue.

12-09-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone done this? I've been looking at world vision. Any other reputable agencies?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do what I do...go to your local playground with those mini sized candy bars and make it very clear you have a whole bag full in your van