PDA

View Full Version : Easy pre-flop laydown?

TJSWAN
07-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Live Limit HE tourney. 113 started and I'm at the final table /forums/images/icons/grin.gif in my second ever tourney. Limits are 2/4k and I'm one of 4 short stacks at table.
In MP I look and see K /forums/images/icons/club.gif Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif . I say " time", think and muck. Would you lay this down?? Results later.

Tim

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-14-2003, 12:00 PM
What's the payout structure? How big is your stack compared to the blinds?

TJSWAN
07-14-2003, 12:03 PM
1st $1900 10th $100 I have $6k at the time. The three other short stacks are within $2k of me.

JohnM
07-14-2003, 03:43 PM
I don't think this is an easy laydown - I think it is an easy all in. You have only a few hands until the blinds and need more chips to be in position to get to the real money. Hope you are going to say you would have lost this hand and went on to win your 2nd ever. Good job.

Copernicus
07-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Those are the limits (as you said) or those are the blinds? If they are the blinds, easy all-in. If those are the limits (and the blinds are half of that) its still probably an all-in, but I'd give some consideration to the make-up of the later positions, since I do have some time to see how the other blinds do. If there are some huge stacks after me that might call with any A I would think about sitting back, but I would still probably make a move here and hope I get enough calls to justify it on an EV basis.

DJA
07-14-2003, 04:26 PM
I believe raising here is the better play. There are say 5 people behind you who are yet to act, but you are out of time. This is a good... almost great hand, but the problem with KQ is A2 beats you.

However, having said that, your raise will often get Ax to fold, and if it doesn't you aren't that far behind unless your opponent holds AQ, AK, AA, KK, or QQ. If you win this uncontested you just added 50% to your stack and can pay the blinds for another round. If someone has wants to fight over the money, you are often not a significant dog. The dead money makes this hand more then playable.

Just My Thoughts,

TJSWAN
07-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Thoughts:
OK, I agree if I had more chips this hand is worth a call. The table is still full and every position up means about $50 more for me right now so I mucked it. There were still 6 left to act including the blinds. I had only made 2 pre-flop laydowns all day that I ended up not liking so my instincts were "running good".

Play:

Guy to my left goes all in and BB calls. GTML had AKo.
BB had A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif and flopped the nut flush... Phew!

End Results:

I survived my BB at $4k. I Have BB, everyone folds /forums/images/icons/mad.gif to SB who raises me all in. I look ( I hadn't looked yet /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif )and see....... AKo and SB flips AQo !! My hand goot!

in the next orbit 2 more guys busted out and I made it to 7th place. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

A big thank you to ALL 2+2'ers in all the forums who have helped with their insight, wit and wisdom. ( An extra little thanks to the S.F. Bay Area chapter /forums/images/icons/wink.gif )

Tim

mrbaseball
07-14-2003, 07:19 PM
Deja Vu!

Last time in Vegas (May) I was in a very similar situation. Final table with 6 of us left ay a $110 buyin limit event. Limits 2k/4k and I'm utg with KQo. I have about 9K and am short stacked and the table is playing very tight waiting for someone to screw up. I guess that someone was me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I popped it figuring I had a good enough hand and could maybe grab the blinds whiich I needed. Anyway guy with medium stack on my left reraised, folded around to big blind with big stack who popped it again. I can fold and probably not survive the blinds or toss in the rest of my chips raising it one more thousand. I tossed 'em in without a worry in the world. Guy on my left lost with his big slick to BB's AA. I was a distant 3rd.

I'd do it the same way next time. I needed to make a move and I had a chance to triple. As it was I was just gonna get blinded off anyway.

In your sitaution it depends on where you are compared to the other short stacks. But I believe in playing the cards hard and fast at the end when people are laying good hands down and trying to inch up the leader board.