PDA

View Full Version : Unnecessary receipts

Evan
12-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Why do stores give you receipts for very small purchases? I assume it's required by some sort of law. It's pretty stupid though. I can't imagine ever needing documented proof that I bougth soap and hair gel at Duane Reade tonight. Of course it makes sense for big purchases, but the trivial ones (like <$20 maybe) really don't need receipts.

Is there any reason stores always give you receipts? They'd probably save a few bucks/year by not printing receipts for all purchases <$x and I think most of the customers would appreciate not having another scrap of paper to throw out.

asofel
12-08-2005, 10:25 PM
yeah but for all of us who could care less about that, you know there are people out there who will happily go back to the store for $1.50 because they bought the wrong _____ product...

Evan
12-08-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah but for all of us who could care less about that, you know there are people out there who will happily go back to the store for $1.50 because they bought the wrong _____ product...

[/ QUOTE ]
Make them ask for a receipt. Or at least give me the option to not get one without that meaning that I leave it up to the cashier to throw out my scrap of paper.

tonypaladino
12-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Security surveillance can see the receipt printing and the cashier giving it to the customer, ensuring the cashier is not stealing.

miajag81
12-08-2005, 10:37 PM
"I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut. I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. Man, I'll just give you money, then you give me the doughnut. End of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I just can't imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. Some skeptical friend: "'Don’t even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here. Oh wait, it's at home, in the file... under D... for doughnut'"

Evan
12-08-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut. I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. Man, I'll just give you money, then you give me the doughnut. End of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I just can't imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. Some skeptical friend: "'Don’t even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here. Oh wait, it's at home, in the file... under D... for doughnut'"

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha, I love Mitch Hedberg. I heard that joke like 2 years ago but I never felt compelled to abolish receipts til tonight. Not really sure why.

Evan
12-08-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Security surveillance can see the receipt printing and the cashier giving it to the customer, ensuring the cashier is not stealing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldnt they just not put all the stuff the customer buys into the register anyway? Does this really stop them from stealing?

12-08-2005, 10:54 PM
having worked retail when i was younger, i assure you, people will return anything. i've had to credit 54 cents back to someone's visa.

tonypaladino
12-08-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldnt they just not put all the stuff the customer buys into the register anyway? Does this really stop them from stealing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, they could but at least this method at least ensure that a sale actually took place. There have been stores where a single employee stole tens of thousands of dollars just by rining "phanthom" sales and taking the excess cash out of the drawer by the end of the night.

I don't think this is the best plan, but for some stores it works. When I managed cashiers they could rip up the receipt and toss it if the customer didn't want it.

I actually inquired with our software people about the ability to print only on request for our coffe shop register to save paper (not because I give a [censored] about the environment, custom thermal paper is expensive), but it would have been too difficult.

jacki
12-08-2005, 10:59 PM
I keep all my receipts because I pay for almost everything with my check card. I then use the receipts to balance my checking account.

RacersEdge
12-08-2005, 11:02 PM
I hate receipts too. The only time they are useful for small things is when you are doing an expense report(which BTW are major PITA).

fluxrad
12-08-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I keep all my receipts because I pay for almost everything with my check card. I then use the receipts to balance my checking account.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. I record all my transactions into my PDA and balance them against my bank's site every few days.

Evan
12-08-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. I record all my transactions into my PDA and balance them against my bank's site every few days.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't tried to balance my checking account in years. I look at it every once in a while on my bank's website and pretty much assume the number is accurate. I'm talking about things like hair gel, soap and bottles of soda. How much are those going to hurt your bottom line. I'd rather let my bank steal $8 from me once/year than have to keep track of 15 receipts or write everything into a PDA.

willie
12-08-2005, 11:29 PM
i'm also not a fan of best buy printing me up about 12 feet worth of receipts for a cd i just bought.....

seems a bit wasteful

tonypaladino
12-08-2005, 11:38 PM
"i'm also not a fan of best buy printing me up about 12 feet worth of receipts for a cd i just bought....."

Yeah, I noticed electronics stores seem to love to print loads of crap on the receipts and make them a foot longer than they should be.

At this hardware store near my house, they used to have a dot matrix printer and the receipt would be a full page, even if you just bought like a lightbulb. It was pretty retarted.

TheNoodleMan
12-08-2005, 11:48 PM
I was at Chipotle the other day and used a card and the girl asked me if I wanted a receipt or not I wish more places did that.
Also, when is 2+2 going to get a forum dedicated just to chipotle? Seems like it comes up enough.

lighterjobs
12-08-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as soon as i opened this thread i knew that would be posted. awesome.

Sponger15SB
12-08-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
printing me up about 12 feet worth of receipts

[/ QUOTE ]

Blockbuster is easily the worst at this. I swear you get like 4 receipts and then 3 more pages of coupons or something.

BWebb
12-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Funny you should post this. I just got Panda and the guy gave me a receipt and I thought "wtf would I need this for?" If you start some sort of petition, I'll sign it.

OtisTheMarsupial
12-09-2005, 01:51 AM
It serves as a formal symbol of your contract. Sometimes there's fine print on the back you should read.

BradleyT
12-09-2005, 02:14 AM
BWebb,

Panda has signs up saying your next meal is free if you don't get a receipt this time.

bb88
12-09-2005, 02:21 AM
I work at a Sams Club and hate those damn receipts. They make people check them as you exit and they won't let you out unless they check it. This means I have about a dozen people every night come back and tell me I never gave them their receipt. I then have to act concerned and look even though they just lost it, the stupid people.

But I went off on a tangent. Yeah, I bought a CD at Best Buy a couple weeks ago and marveled at the eighteen-foot receipt that came out. That's a waste definately. At least Sams Club's don't have THAT much crap on it. They could definately replace the large logo with some small "Sams Club" type though.

fluxrad
12-09-2005, 02:23 AM
There was a guy that worked at the local Costco checking people's receipts. He was normal in every way shape or form, except he had really tiny arms. He looked like a T-Rex. All I can remember thinking about this guy was - I'll be damned if he wasn't born for that job.