PDA

View Full Version : 5CD hand, dealt 2-pair and facing a 3-bet

Slim Pickens
12-08-2005, 08:56 PM
Home game of 5 card draw. We played with blinds rather than antes since any sort of structure change confuses the people I play with. That's why I love them. Anyway...

1/2 blinds, 4/8 betting limits

Hero is dealt JJ33A UTG. LP is an aggressive, tricky player and the only other good player at the table (assume for discussion that I am "good".)

Hero raises, x folds, LP 3-bets, folded to BB who cold-calls, Hero 4-bets, LP calls, BB calls.

draw (pot=$49): BB draws 3, Hero raps, LP draws 1.

BB checks, Hero bets, LP calls, BB folds

Normally I'm not 4-betting 2-pair, but LP knows dead money when he sees it, and could easily be 3-betting with less as he knows he's likely to get at least one cold-call out of this group with a vastly inferior hand. I've seen him check-raise and fold to a 3-bet.

Rapping is an obvious false-card for post-draw.

Betting, as opposed to checking after 4-betting and rapping means I'm almost never getting raised by anything less than a straight. I don't expect LP to fold, nor do I expect BB to have anything. Are the bets I'm saving by 4-betting/rapping/betting, and thus not getting raised post-draw, enough to offset the times when I call the 3-bet, draw one, bet my 2-pair, and have to call a raise?

In general, what's a good line when facing a 3-bet from an aggressive player with a weakish made hand and some dead money in the pot?

timprov
12-09-2005, 01:30 AM
I wouldn't want to be calling a raise on the end with jacks up all that often, and I'd almost never bet jacks up if I didn't know I could fold to a raise. If you feel the need to get to showdown against a tricky player, why not just call the 3-bet and check-call the end?

I think you're better off by check-calling anyway. The only spot betting is better is if he's drawing one with one pair or a bad two pair and will call you. Inducing a bluff seems like a better chance to get some value.

The problem is, you're both representing a good two pair or better. You need a parlay of both him to be lying and him thinking you're lying for your bet to have value.