PDA

View Full Version : Old poker book excerpt. Guess the year.

Tommy Angelo
07-14-2003, 08:03 AM
I was in a small office supply store yesterday. I stopped at a small display of playing cards, attracted by the wide variety of cards, for example, Braille. Also on the display was a small book called Poker Is the Name of the Game. At first glance inside, it was obviously old. I bought it just because.

On page 121, of 143 total pages, is a section called Seven Card Spit. In that section are five subsections, with one called "Ohama" and another called "Hold 'em." Below, those sections are copied in their entirety. Besides the fun you might get just from reading this, see if you can guess the year of publication.

----------------

Omaha

This is patterned after Seven Card Mutual, but with two points of difference. After each player is dealt two down cards, there is an immediate betting round. Following that, mutual up cards are dealt singly, each followed by a betting round, right to the end. Hence, instead of each player receiving a final down card, the seventh card is another up card, mutual to all hands. Since each player receives only two down cards, this game can accommodate twenty-four players before the pack is exhausted.

Hold 'em

Also called Hold Me, and Hold Me Darling, this is Omaha in stepped up form, due to a reduction of the betting rounds. Each played is dealt two down cards and there is an immediate round of betting, beginning at the dealer's left on the strength of those two cards alone. Generally, a player will stay on a pair, two parts of a Straight Flush, two toward a Flush, or two toward a fairly high Straight, while in a low-limit game, some will chance it with a high card like an ace or a king, regardless of the other card.

Next, three cards are dealt face up in the center of the table. These are known as the FLOP and belong to every player. Thus each player, with his own two cards and three MUTUALS in the flop, already has the equivalent to a five card Poker hand. A betting round follows and may prove spirited if a high pair shows on the flop, as a player holding a pair of his own will figure that he has a good chance for a Full House. Straight and Flush prospects in the flop are also conducive to strong betting.

Next, a fourth up card is dealt, followed by a betting round; and then a fifth up card, followed by the final betting round. Each player who calls forms a five card hand from his own down cards and the mutual up cards, just as in Omaha or its parent game of Seven Card Stud. In all, there are only four betting rounds and the big test comes on the last two, which may make or break a players prospects for a winning hand.

--------------------------

Mike Gallo
07-14-2003, 08:57 AM
Tommy,

Was the book hand written?? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

andyfox
07-14-2003, 12:25 PM

Many has been the time I felt as if I required braille cards. . .

Jimbo
07-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Written by Walter Gibson, if you have a first edition printed by Harper and Row or Ottenheimer it was published in 1974. If you paid anymore than $2.85 you made a poor investment. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Tommy Angelo
07-14-2003, 12:38 PM
Is that what you call a guess? Sheesh!

Jimbo
07-14-2003, 12:43 PM
Tommy I suppose that could be classified as an educated guess! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

TJSWAN
07-14-2003, 12:52 PM
That's what had me amused. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

So Tommy,

How good would pocket Aces be in that game? And how in the hell would you deal it? Waitresses with trays of cards??
Call out the flop like a bingo game??

Tim

Zeno
07-14-2003, 02:24 PM
This book was printed in China circa 969 (this is the first recorded mention of printed playing cards) using classical block printing methods. This poker primer was printed on rice paper and completed with a silk binding; the elegant characters add to the books appeal. If this is a first edition it is worth $2,567,489 and 25 cents, minus tax. If a reprinted edition then the worth collapses to less than two million dollars. Interesting find, Tommy. Best keep it.

Andy and Jimbo should be spanked. Correct "guesses" are boring; I like mine better.

-Zeno

Rick Nebiolo
07-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Tommy,

An "oldest or most obscure" poker book contest would be some fun. I have one book that could be a ringer.

BTW, I'm having a friend back East look for the $1.95 copy of Sklansky's Holdem Poker. I gave it to him when the $2.95 edition came out around 1982! I think David said it may be worth something in good shape /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Regards,

Rick

Tommy Angelo
07-14-2003, 11:33 PM
I suppose that could be classified as an educated guess!
---------
Fair 'nuff Jimbo. :-)