PDA

View Full Version : How to counter a continuation bet?

Woolygimp
12-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 ($155.50)
MP2 ($115.50)
MP3 ($202.20)
CO ($200)
Button ($248.79)
SB ($209.55)
BB ($301.50)
UTG ($366.20)
UTG+1 ($216.50)
Hero ($181.15)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $9</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $7.

Flop: ($21) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???

My default line here is to check/fold, sometimes lead out. If your fairly confident your opponent is on overcards and that your 88 is good what line is the most effective?

Leading out seems good, obviously fold to any resistance.
Does anyone c/r here and if so how much? The reason I ask is this seems like one of the few times to use a min-raise. You don't want to commit anymore chips than is necessary to take down the pot &amp; most players will fold overs to any raise on this board.

So assuming I use the line:
Hero Checks, Villain Bets Pot (20), Hero raises to 40.
Exactly how effective is this line in this situation?

And yes I know, "If I think im ahead I should lead out PSB."

fanmail
12-08-2005, 06:53 PM
You could call and then lead out for ~$50 on a non A,K turn. Or you could raise right now. Or you could check-raise the turn.

Woolygimp
12-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Well I was wondering if this is one of the rare occasions in a cash game where a min-raise is effective?

Big_Jim
12-08-2005, 06:59 PM
What is your plan for the turn when you are called?

Assuming it is check/fold... I think it's a decent line... although I never do it.

My main problem is that if I was really going to check/raise with a J, I would want to put more money in the pot.

Woolygimp
12-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Jim, assuming I get called I'm pretty much done with the hand.

Big_Jim
12-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Do you make this play with a J?

ludo72
12-08-2005, 07:07 PM
I don't ever min-raise anyone's c-bets, but when I'm in Villains spot and someone leads into me when I've raised pre-flop I often like to test them with a min-raise even if I missed the flop. This is ofcourse read dependant, but I find that leading into the pre-flop raiser is often an informational bet and so I give them what they want.

Woolygimp
12-08-2005, 07:14 PM
No, I probaly wouldn't but I'm going on the basis that a min c/r here w/ a J is a common line by most players.

soah
12-08-2005, 07:15 PM
What makes you so sure that your opponent has overcards and not an overpair?

Obviously if you "know" your hand is good you can do damn near anything you want to because it's impossible to get bluffed out.

Woolygimp
12-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Nothing in poker is absolutely sure. This is obviously a read dependent play, so I ask you, "have any of your reads been 100%?"

Triumph36
12-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Do you have any reads on your opponent? That I think is a big part of this - if he's fishy enough to call your lead with overcards, this may not be a good play. Furthermore if he's likely to call a C/R with an overpair, that's not a good play either.

I assume you lead out here with a J - I know I do - so I'd lead out. Shutting down the turn is obvious, and if he bets he's probably got a J, otherwise he has to fear you have one. What you do on the river becomes very difficult - leading seems foolish, but you could throw out a blocking bet (something I despise) or check call, depending on the size of the bet and the opponent.

Or just hit the underfull on the turn.

SmileyEH
12-08-2005, 08:09 PM
You can call...

-SmileyEH

emil3000
12-08-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can call...

-Mr SuperSTAR

[/ QUOTE ]

12-08-2005, 08:30 PM
I think in general you want to take this down right here, so you don't need to guess if an overcard hits him. Against a standard fish, i think this is one of the few times i like a check raise here (and a pot sized one at that).

The problem is if he calls, you are then somewhat committed to betting the turn (even if a scare card comes), such that if he comes over the top on the turn, this costs you a lot of money.

So before I make this play, I like to be pretty sure this isn't one of those people who will always call when they are check-raised. In that case, at least you can be pretty sure you are behind if he calls, and give up on the turn.

scdavis0
12-08-2005, 08:45 PM
your available tools are:

1. lead
2. check/call - lead turn
3. check raise
4. check/fold

your best bet is a balanced attack

NLfool
12-08-2005, 08:46 PM
problem with a checkraise here on literally a drawless board gets villian to think why'd you'd CR here. He'd deduce that you've got a 4 or small pair type variety. He'd pop you a decent amount that would be tough for you to call

billyjex
12-09-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
problem with a checkraise here on literally a drawless board gets villian to think why'd you'd CR here. He'd deduce that you've got a 4 or small pair type variety. He'd pop you a decent amount that would be tough for you to call

[/ QUOTE ]

Do players really do this at the $200? I generally fastplay and try to check/raise in these situations to make the other player think I don't have a J; rarely do I ever get action, and usually it's from the case J.

beset7
12-09-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your available tools are:

1. lead
2. check/call - lead turn
3. check raise
4. check/fold

your best bet is a balanced attack

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Mix it up. Check/fold is obviously the default but a few times each session, based on player reads and table dynamics (i.e. how tight I've been playing etc) I'll do one of these other things.

If he's a LAG I'd be less likely to lead into him because sometimes that just repop it because they'll immediatly assume you are FOS for leading into them (so do this with sets).