PDA

View Full Version : songs whose live versions are better

man
12-08-2005, 06:25 PM
one of my friends hates live performance cd's because he says they don't embody the vision of the band in the same way that albums do. I think he's full of [censored]. here are some songs whose live versions I think are infinitely better than the album versions.

Led Zeppelin - In My Time Of Dying (on the dvd)
Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Voodoo Child (ok basically everything he did live is untouchable)
The Kinks - I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Phish - Reba

moondogg
12-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Just about everything on Frampton Comes Alive

miajag81
12-08-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Led Zeppelin - any of their songs

[/ QUOTE ]

man
12-08-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
have you heard achilles last stand? this is not always true.

MonkeeMan
12-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Stones - Midnight Rambler (Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out)

nyc999
12-08-2005, 06:32 PM
I think most of the music from bands like the Dead, Phish, DMB, etc. don't come out nearly as powerful when recorded in a studio.

slipoker
12-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Anything by Judas Priest... Halford is absolutely incredible.

miajag81
12-08-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is that the one with the ridculous like 3-hour drum solo? yeah, i guess i stand corrected.

sfer
12-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Complete Control, The Clash
Every Wilco song from A Ghost Is Born played live on Kicking Television

man
12-08-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is that the one with the ridculous like 3-hour drum solo? yeah, i guess i stand corrected.

[/ QUOTE ]
nah, you're probably thinking of moby dick, which actually is better live. it's the one with six guitar tracks, I can't remember which album, but it's about ten minutes long. kind of a hard act to follow live. plus page makes a shame of the solo, because he's on herion or something.

mrkilla
12-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Your friend is way full of crap , any moron can produce there voice to sound epic , its the ones that can sing it live that really prove there artisits or wanna bes (IE almost any rapper)

I can't just list what's better live vs albulm because the stuff I listen to by default is better Live the on Albulm (Dead, Phish etc etc) But one I will throw in there that might not come up

Primus = Tommy the Cat

istewart
12-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Um, In My Time Of Dying is the LAST SONG I would pick. The version on that DVD is terrible IMO; the drumming is nothing close to that on the studio album version. Stairway on HTWWW is definitely better than it is on the album, although both are great, and Heartbreaker is infinitely better live than on LZII.

correia
12-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Two off the top of my head:
Rush - YYZ
Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick

4_2_it
12-08-2005, 06:47 PM
AC/DC live is excellent. Highway to Hell and Back in Black were meant to be played at volume 11.

man
12-08-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Um, In My Time Of Dying is the LAST SONG I would pick. The version on that DVD is terrible IMO; the drumming is nothing close to that on the studio album version. Stairway on HTWWW is definitely better than it is on the album, although both are great, and Heartbreaker is infinitely better live than on LZII.

[/ QUOTE ]
really? I think page's live distorted slide work makes up for the drums, which I actually hadn't noticed in particular.

yes, heartbreaker is sweet live, at least on BBC sessions.

benza13
12-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Most Pearl Jam, especially Yellow Ledbetter

imported_anacardo
12-08-2005, 06:53 PM
The recording of Bob Dylan's 1966 Royal Albert Hall concert contains several nominations for the best version of that song ever recorded:

She Belongs To Me
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
Desolation Row
Tell Me, Mama
Like A Rolling Stone

2+2 wannabe
12-08-2005, 06:53 PM
most bruce springsteen songs

BreakfastBurrito
12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Did you mean Talking Heads - Life During Wartime ?

Diggslick
12-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Dispatch-The General

man
12-08-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you mean Talking Heads - Life During Wartime ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think stop making sense just has better versions of those songs (except heaven imo, and others), and I just picked one. yes, that song is most definately sweet.

skiier04
12-08-2005, 07:19 PM
any pearl jam song

12-08-2005, 07:19 PM
pretty much all of rushs songs sound better live

asofel
12-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Allman Brothers - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (live at the fillmore)

MonkeeMan
12-08-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice

12-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Bob Seger "Turn the Page"

ibankonu
12-08-2005, 07:46 PM
DMB - Two Step

swede123
12-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Definitely Ashlee Simpson. Pretty much her entire catalog, but particularly "Pieces of Me."

Swede

Dominic
12-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Cheap Trick - I want You to Want Me
Kiss - Rock & Roll All Night

ChipWrecked
12-09-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the greatest rock albums of all time.

http://musicangle.com/upload_images/PhotoGallery/The%20Allman.jpg

Also, 'Magic Bus' by Teh Who, Live at Leeds

man
12-09-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dispatch-The General

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never heard this? how is dispatch live in general?

I really feel like there could be a music forum here. I might spend all of my time there.

TheMainEvent
12-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees

emonrad87
12-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Eagles - Hotel California

Nirvana's MTV Unplugged album is amazing.

Pearl Jam's Live at Benaroya Hall is amazing as well.

asofel
12-09-2005, 12:29 AM
It really is...the Allmans don't get mentioned all that often, but that album is pure gold, some of duane's best playing...you can listen from beginning to and literally love each song...

PokerFink
12-09-2005, 12:35 AM
DMB - Stay (Wasting Time), Watchtower, Two Step

Almost all their songs are better live, but those ones in particular are MUCH better live.

12-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Barenaked Ladies: If I Had a Million Dollars, Shopping

iMsoLucky0
12-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Any song by O.A.R.

In particular, the song "Crazy Game of Poker"

BTW, O.A.R. is my favorite band. Does anyone else like them?

gonores
12-09-2005, 12:50 AM
I can't believe this thread is 20 replies long and I get to make the first "Most of GnR" post.

Also, anything Pearl Jam.

TheMainEvent
12-09-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any song by O.A.R.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a big O.A.R. fan and I went to a few concerts but it was in college and what I didn't realize was that every time I heard them I was intoxicated. They are fantastic in that environment but I tried to listen to a few songs sober one day and it was a fairly big letdown.

Plus, after "hey girl" came out they basically became a band for teenage girls.

nothumb
12-09-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Complete Control, The Clash

[/ QUOTE ]

VNH. Also, "Straight to Hell" from the same album is light years better than the studio version.

NT

InchoateHand
12-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Social Distortion, "Ball and Chain" certainly counts towards this list.

pauliewalnuts
12-09-2005, 02:29 AM
Fleetwood Mac's live album, The Dance, blows away their studio albums IMO.

12-09-2005, 02:32 AM
RATM - Bulls on Parade (Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium)

Blarg
12-09-2005, 02:37 AM
Not sure I agree on the Once in a Lifetime.

Shillx
12-09-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dispatch-The General

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah the entire All Points Bulletin live album is awesome. good call.

Blarg
12-09-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It really is...the Allmans don't get mentioned all that often, but that album is pure gold, some of duane's best playing...you can listen from beginning to and literally love each song...

[/ QUOTE ]

Their rep(like all rock) is fading, but it doesn't deserve to(ditto).

I'm not even from Alabama or the south, I like Neil Young, and I don't think the song really makes its point, but I love Sweet Home Alabama. When he says turn it up, I do.

Diggslick
12-09-2005, 02:43 AM
Not sure if you haven't heard Dispatch at all or if you just haven't heard them live.( Heard it off the "Gut the van" CD and as part of an all day "gagillion" bands type of show.)

I'm by no means a music asthete, but I would classify them as a neuvo Hippie sound or jam band, but with more of an upbeat sound and and less of (though not completely devoid) the 20 minute guitar solo. They have a generally relaxed sound with a slight dub beat influence to there music.

The Song is about a respected general who has a vision of the enemy and their family the night before a battle and and tells the men to go home and live their lives...he follows his orders.(more upbeat a song than it sounds)

12-09-2005, 02:47 AM
My personal favorite:

Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Diggslick
12-09-2005, 02:56 AM
Its not just the intoxicated thing, not that it doens't help. They used to be fusion type of music of jam band and white boy ragae that was somewhat innovative and just plain fun. Then they turned to doing weak sh!t and doing stuff live that was at best a guess at what could be good. Just becasue you butcher the melody, it doesn't mean you put on more of a show. They defintely regressed even before they sold out.

12-09-2005, 03:03 AM
O.A.R. was never that great to begin with. They had a few ok songs from their earlier album, The Wanderer. Their poker song is catchy, but I heard one of their new songs on satellite radio the other day and I couldn't even get halfway through it. It was that bad.

PokerFink
12-09-2005, 03:35 AM
Dispatch is amazing, but for the most part I actually like their studio stuff better than the live albums. Can't go wrong with either though.

12-09-2005, 03:38 AM
I have a recording of one of the only ozzy shows done with randy rhoads.... what a [censored] talent.

yes I know zakk wylde can shred, but for some reason its just not the same, plus on many occasions he's been outdone by a recording done how many years ago?

Seadood228
12-09-2005, 06:07 AM
I really dig Alice n Chains live version of Rooster off their greatest hits album.

New001
12-09-2005, 06:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Pearl Jam's Live at Benaroya Hall is amazing as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct answer. And it was even better in person.

craig r
12-09-2005, 06:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Social Distortion, "Ball and Chain" certainly counts towards this list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would throw in Story of My Life and Ring of Fire (I know it is a cover, but it is almost a completely different song).

Actually, I don't really like the live version(s) of Ball and Chain because of the pause between "away" and "ball and chain".

craig

zephed
12-09-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Achilles' Last Stand from the Knebworth show is very good.

zephed
12-09-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stones - Midnight Rambler (Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out)

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh hell yeah.

zephed
12-09-2005, 09:14 AM
I'll throw an obvious one out there, "Thank You" from the BBC sessions. Blistering performance, absolutely blows the studio version away.

istewart is once again right, In My Time of Dying is better on Physical Grafitti.

vexvelour
12-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Clapton - Cocaine

imported_The Vibesman
12-09-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not even from Alabama or the south, I like Neil Young, and I don't think the song really makes its point, but I love Sweet Home Alabama. When he says turn it up, I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that's not the Allmans, right?

I'd nominate every song off Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of Town record, except for The Promised Land, which kind of drags live.

Otis Redding's "I've Been Loving You Too Long" is great on the album but blown away by the Monterey performance.

Pretty much anything by Sam Cooke, also The Blasters.

Really, any blues musician.

Someone else said, "I'm Not Like Anybody Else," by the Kinks, that's a good one, as well as "Till The End Of The Day" and "To The Bone."

Slow Play Ray
12-09-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dispatch-The General

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

One of my favorite songs ever.

ChipWrecked
12-09-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that's not the Allmans, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, it's Blarq, sure he does.

I read an interview with Ronnie Van Zandt once where he said that he liked Neil Young and admired his music, he just felt as a Southerner that 'Southern Man' needed to be answered.

Which, btw, I don't know if it's ever been recorded but 'Cortez the Killer' in concert is just, like.... damn.

JordanIB
12-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Dream On

Slow Play Ray
12-09-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any song by O.A.R.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, big fan...they're a really fun live band and you totally nailed it - this song is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fun live. I love the insane atmosphere at an O.A.R. show when they bust out CGOP (and they always do) - it's impossible not to get caught up in it.

Also, the more I think about it - I like almost everything better live.

man
12-09-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
bonham is amazing in that version. plant is all right. but page (1) messes up at the beginning of the solo by trying to mix it up, and (2) is only one guitarist. the studio version has six guitar tracks, I think, which makes it sort of impossible to replicate. I mean it's still zeppelin, but it's my least favorite live song of theirs.

BottlesOf
12-09-2005, 11:15 AM
GNR - Patience
Kiss - Beth
Jay Z & Mary J Blige - Can't Knock the Hustle

WDC
12-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Most if not all Mellancamp.

man
12-09-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure I agree on the Once in a Lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like how strong the bassline is. but I actually haven't listened to the studio one in a while, so meh. I still like it.

asofel
12-09-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah true....

imo derek trucks and warren haynes are two of the best guitarists out there right now, and trucks is still really young...

the live version of freebird is a must include when talking skynyrd...

man
12-09-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if you haven't heard Dispatch at all or if you just haven't heard them live.( Heard it off the "Gut the van" CD and as part of an all day "gagillion" bands type of show.)

I'm by no means a music asthete, but I would classify them as a neuvo Hippie sound or jam band, but with more of an upbeat sound and and less of (though not completely devoid) the 20 minute guitar solo. They have a generally relaxed sound with a slight dub beat influence to there music.

The Song is about a respected general who has a vision of the enemy and their family the night before a battle and and tells the men to go home and live their lives...he follows his orders.(more upbeat a song than it sounds)

[/ QUOTE ]
I never even considered them as a jam band, but I've never listened to their live stuff. I don't particularly like their sound, but I appreciate that they're reasonably diverse. they're like shins lite /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yossarian
12-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Comfortably Numb - Pulse Pink Floyd
Sympathy fot the Devil - Ya Ya's Rolling Stones

zephed
12-09-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
bonham is amazing in that version. plant is all right. but page (1) messes up at the beginning of the solo by trying to mix it up, and (2) is only one guitarist. the studio version has six guitar tracks, I think, which makes it sort of impossible to replicate. I mean it's still zeppelin, but it's my least favorite live song of theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]
The tension, atmosphere, power, and darkness are all there in the live version.

Paluka
12-09-2005, 12:18 PM
All the songs on Bad Brains- The Youth Are Getting Restless are better than the studio versions. But you classic rock guys probably don't care.

man
12-09-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The tension, atmosphere, power, and darkness are all there in the live version.

[/ QUOTE ]
you have me there.

Jonny
12-09-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
DMB - Two Step

[/ QUOTE ]
I second that. I saw this live and it was amazing. Its also my favorite DMB song by the way.