PDA

View Full Version : 25th anniversary of John Lennon's Death, what were his 3 best songs?

wonderwes
12-08-2005, 03:59 PM
I have not listen to much Beatles or John Lennon in my life. What would be the best 3 songs to listen to?

samjjones
12-08-2005, 04:17 PM
For a very brief overview:

It Won't Be Long, Revolution, Imagine

Honorable mention: Come Together

MonkeeMan
12-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Give Peace A Chance, repeat, repeat.

istewart
12-08-2005, 04:21 PM
In My Life.

Amid Cent
12-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Imagine
Imagine
Imagine

Quinn Warren
12-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Working Class Hero (John often said that "Imagine" was just Working Class Hero with sugar on top)

Mother
God

Jack of Arcades
12-08-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In My Life.

[/ QUOTE ]

MelK
12-08-2005, 05:27 PM
None of his solo songs can beat his top three Beatles songs.

samjjones
12-08-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
None of his solo songs can beat his top three Beatles songs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which are???

12-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Come Together
Imagine
Instant Karma

MelK
12-08-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Which are???

[/ QUOTE ]

Which are not as good as George's best songs, IMO. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

LAGmaniac
12-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Imagine
A Day in the Life
Strawberry Fields Forever

MrMon
12-08-2005, 05:54 PM
How about the worst?

Revolution #9. Anyone who thinks it's any good also thinks Yoko is an artist.

Fabian
12-08-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Imagine
A Day in the Life

[/ QUOTE ]

If you somehow were forced to just listen to 3 I think all these might be correct. At least #2 and #3.

Others not yet mentioned that might qualify (or almost qualify):

Jealous Guy (I like this one)
Norwegian Wood
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

diebitter
12-08-2005, 08:42 PM
In My Life
Norwegian Wood
Imagine

12-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Norwegian Wood

God

I'm Only Sleeping

Also like How Do You Sleep, cos that's bitter and angry and funny.

12-08-2005, 08:55 PM
I am the Walrus
Instant Kharma

12-08-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come Together
Imagine
Instant Karma

[/ QUOTE ]

Close. But it's Imagine, Come Together, then Give Peace a Chance.

Imagine is the greatest song of all time. No other song is even close. Not at all like the normal stuff I listen to (System of a Down, Anti-Flag, Strike Anywhere, etc.), but it's just such an amazing song.

12-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Watching the Wheels
Nobody Told Me
Give Peace a Chance

Victor
12-08-2005, 11:01 PM
imagine
in my life
revolution

did he do instant karma? if so thats better than revolution.

man
12-09-2005, 12:21 AM
imagine
come together
revolution

this has got to be at least pretty close to the right answer.

Dominic
12-09-2005, 12:17 PM
When I was in 6th grade back in the 70's, student protest was still thought of as a way to let our young voices be heard....I remember learning in class one day about what was going on in Vietnam...and listening to various protest songs....I had heard about the war before, of course...it was all over the television...but I had no clue what it was about.

In school - and through artists like Lennon, CSN&Y, etc...we finally learned - and a number of us were outraged. Yes, 6th graders were outraged. It wasn't that big leap to see ourselves in just a few years having to go over there and fight and die for an unjust cause.

My friends and I organized a protest with about 5 other schools in the area...at a designated time, everyone in school stood up from their desk, went outside and lined the streets...we then held hands and sang "Give Peace a Chance," over and over. It got some National news attention, I remember....

Anyway...since that moment, I can't think of any other song I have ever heard that would elicit that strong of a reaction from me. The song is so simple, yet so powerful.

trotski
12-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Imagine
Working Class Hero
Come Together

MonkeeMan
12-09-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was in 6th grade back in the 70's, student protest was still thought of as a way to let our young voices be heard....I remember learning in class one day about what was going on in Vietnam...and listening to various protest songs....I had heard about the war before, of course...it was all over the television...but I had no clue what it was about.

In school - and through artists like Lennon, CSN&Y, etc...we finally learned - and a number of us were outraged. Yes, 6th graders were outraged. It wasn't that big leap to see ourselves in just a few years having to go over there and fight and die for an unjust cause.

My friends and I organized a protest with about 5 other schools in the area...at a designated time, everyone in school stood up from their desk, went outside and lined the streets...we then held hands and sang "Give Peace a Chance," over and over. It got some National news attention, I remember....

Anyway...since that moment, I can't think of any other song I have ever heard that would elicit that strong of a reaction from me. The song is so simple, yet so powerful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this song great. It was my choice earlier in the thread, and Dom you and I came to the same pick from completely different directions, since I'm a Viet vet. Great, great song.

swede123
12-09-2005, 01:50 PM
I would agree with the poster that said it's one of the songs co-written with McCarthey.

Just off the top of my head I'd say

Eleanor Rigby
Penny Lane
A Day in the Life

Swede